Would this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
    Mostly just self enlightenment. If I ever get that far along in my project list, I have an extra spool from the alternator that was burned up, and would like to rewind it with smaller wire, to get more winds on it and maybe try to coax a few extra amps out of the charging system. If the alternator put out more watts, I am pretty sure the regulator wouldn't last long. I could be wrong. I haven't opened one up to see what they are made of and if they are good enough circuitry to handle a few extra watts continuously.

Right now the trouble is finding a source for shellacked winding wire that I don't have to buy 200lbs of to get my 6 ounces worth.
    Actually, you will need fewer windings with larger wire. Smaller/more will increase resistance, bigger/less will reduce it.

Have you tried a motor rewinding shop for a source?

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

FYI, for the Delco 10Si field, it needs to be between 4 and 5 ohms.

Comment

Mostly just self enlightenment. If I ever get that far along in my project list, I have an extra spool from the alternator that was burned up, and would like to rewind it with smaller wire, to get more winds on it and maybe try to coax a few extra amps out of the charging system. If the alternator put out more watts, I am pretty sure the regulator wouldn't last long. I could be wrong. I haven't opened one up to see what they are made of and if they are good enough circuitry to handle a few extra watts continuously.

Right now the trouble is finding a source for shellacked winding wire that I don't have to buy 200lbs of to get my 6 ounces worth.
        Don't know if it's a practical possibility, but when i worked at Leeson Electronics making electric motors for Regal Beloit our armatures got dipped into varnish and baked. I don't think they used any special wire other than just copper, NOT 100% on that though, I never worked in the winding department.

Very unique smell when you burned up an armature on the run in line. You haven't smelled anything until you've smelled a fried motor.
        1980 XS11SG
        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

motor rewind wire is coated with insulation. I would think that you could pick up a few pounds at a rewind shop. Years ago on my little 175 honda, our dc electrical guy gave me a rectifier to replace the unit on the bike. He told me at the time that it was all i needed. The unit was less than half the size of original. The possibility is there with a different system. I think the regulation is the problem. I'll have to find my old motor rewinding books, and read on rewinding alternators. In 1975 i could have answered the question, but that was a different century.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Finer wire will give you more volts and less amps. Anaheim Wire carries polymer coated magnet wire.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
            X