No announcement yet.

Tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the SF has a 16" rim, unless someone swaped it for the 17" like they did on mine. Make sure you get the spacers, caliper bracket, and torque arm thing of the special to do the swap, and remember the order of them. The pieces are a little different between the two.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

OK, I have made up my mind on what tire to buy. I am going with the Dunlop Elite 3. I looked at Dunlop's web site and they say the tire is MT90B16. I found the tire at motorcycle super stores web site and what they have listed is MT90HB-16, I think the H is the speed rating and the B is for black wall. I cannot find that model they have listed on Dunlop's web site. Does anyone know if its the same tire? Also where are you guys buying your tires? I want to use motorcycle super store cause they take paypal and I have some funds in my account, but if you know another site that you use that takes paypal that would be great.

Their price is 109.99 with free shipping.

Thanks again all for your help with this,

Ozz
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
        You don't have to, but IMHO you should. Different tires could cause strange handling just like in your car, only worse because your not as protected on your bike.

Why not buy another rear the same as the one you have now?
        The reason why is the one the P.O. put on when I got the bike is horrible. It always wants to kick out on me when its wet out. Its a Barracuda tire, which I believe is made by Cheng Shin.

The front one does not seem to bad. It sometimes wants to follow a grove in the road.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
        Pod Filters
        DynoJet Kit
        T.C.'s Fuse Block
        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

H is the speed rating and the B means Biased ply.

As for the Superstore... you could take some time to look around. If you find the tire anywhere else cheaper, they'll match it. I've ordered quite a few from them.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            You could get a 16" rim for it.
            I've thought about that but I have two Standard bikes right now: the '80G and a '79F for parts but no Specials.

"Just one more thing!" <wry grin>

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

OK one more question, lol

I am contemplating on changing my own tires. The M/C shops around here are pricey and some will not do it unless I buy the tires from them.

Those of you who change their own tires have you used something like this?\

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...motiveQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPL...ehicleQ5fParts

What do you use to balance the tries. I read a thread on here and is it as easy as a pole and a couple of supports?

Just spin the tire slowly and mark the tire at the top, repeat then add the weights?

Thanks all.

If this is the case the it looks like I can do my own for about 3/4 of the price, then after that I have the equipment and can do it to save money. Well also the satisfaction of doing it.

Thanks again all.

1980 XS 1100SG
              Pod Filters
              DynoJet Kit
              T.C.'s Fuse Block
              V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Nope, I use a pair of things looking similar to these you'll find em at most bike shops.

For breaking the bead, which can be the hardest part I have a 2x4 screwed to the sill plate in my garage with a heavy duty gate hinge, put the tire on the floor next to the wall, place small block of wood next to the rim on the bead, use 2x4 as lever to push on block until bead breaks.

For balancing I use the axle out of the bike and whatever happens to be convenient to support it on both sides. I've used chairs, blocks of wood, etc.
                Spin and mark the top, repeat several times, split the difference and add weight. spin some more, repeat till marks are all over the place. Most bike shops will have "sticky back" wheel weights you can use.

First time I think my total investment including more weights then I needed and the hinge for my bead breaker was about 20 bucks.

Try a google search for motorcycle tire mount and balance, you'll probably get lots of "how to's"
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

In the second link you posted, is the setup you can buy at Harbor Freight. What you see pictured is actually the base, and the motorcycle attachment, each priced seperately. Just so happens, I went to Harbor Freight TODAY and bought that exact setup. They are normally 59.99 each ($120) but until the 27th, they're 10 bucks off each. ($100). I've used this setup quite a few times at a friend's house, so it does work. It's definately not commercial grade, but it will change you and a buddy's tires from now on. It's all manual though and still takes some work. It also needs to have the base bolted down to concrete or such.

For balancing, again from Harbor Freight,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98488

You can still make this on your own and use your axle and wheel bearings, but the bearings on this stand are MUCH more sensitive than wheel bearings. You'll have to close the garage door and shut off the ceiling fan. ANY breeze will mess things up.

Using this, you lightly spin the tire and find out where the heavy side is. You tape a weight to the opposite side that you think will work and lightly spin the tire again until it settles at the heavy point. Is the weighted side at the bottom now? Too much weight added. Weight still at the top? Not enough. This method takes a little time, but eventually, you'll spin the tire a bit, and it will keep stopping in a different spot.. meaning no heavy spot. Attach the weights permanently at that point that you have stuck with the masking tape.

For those thinking this sounds kinda Mickey Mouse, this works EXCEPTIONALLY well, and I've never had a computerized balance get anywhere close to what I can get with this method.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

not that this helps you...

but I just found a guy in Oklahoma City that claims he'll mount & balance tires on the bike for $15 each, even if you bring your own tires. For those in the area, name is "Motorcycle Tire Store".

I'll take a trip once my new Shinkos from motorcycle superstore come in (not the best, but for easy touring/beginner riding on a budget, they should be great). I'll post if there are any surprises...hope not
                    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Hey, Tod...

I read where the other day you mentioned that the E3 front was downright scarey in the wet...

What's the deal w/ them? Do they hydroplane easily, or do they just get kinda oily / slick & loose traction?

I ask, because so far I haven't rode much in the rain... the times I've had, I haven't noticed that. They seemed to be ok.

(FYI... remember I have a matched set of E3's...)

Someone a while back was complaining of the way the funneled water straight into the engine... but I haven't noticed that either.

So far, I love 'em after 10,000 miles. Sorry to tell ya, my front still looks like new... (I know you're hopin' yours wears out soon...) my back tire's starting to show some wear, but still has a LOT left... but I know I'm nowhere near as agressive on them as you are. (But I have worn the little teats off the sides... thank you very much...) LOL

Just wondered what your experiences were that made them 'scarey' ?
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
                        but I just found a guy in Oklahoma City that claims he'll mount & balance tires on the bike for $15 each, even if you bring your own tires. For those in the area, name is "Motorcycle Tire Store".

I'll take a trip once my new Shinkos from motorcycle superstore come in (not the best, but for easy touring/beginner riding on a budget, they should be great). I'll post if there are any surprises...hope not
                        I got a Shinko SR712R on the rear and I LIKE IT.

I've also got access to a tire machine.....heh..heh...heh.

balance is $6 at the Yammy dealer.

Comment

What's the deal w/ them? Do they hydroplane easily
                          Yup. The direction they have you mount these works good in the dry, but in the wet, it funnels and pushes water under the center of the tire instead of out and away like any other normal tire like on a car. I don't understand it. I even emailed Dunlop to ask them if it harms a tire to run it opposite of the directional arrow, and of course I got the standard "Do not operate tire other than direction stated." No answers to why, just a covering of azz.

So, if you haven't had any problems, great. Sounds like you'll get a ton of mileage out of it.. grrrrrrr.. lol. I may get another front tire and mount it on a rim.. use this E3 tire in the summer and another through the wet seasons.

Tod

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                            I got a Shinko SR712R on the rear and I LIKE IT.
                            Yeah, I did a quick search on Shinko. Apparently a Korean company that may (I can't substantiate this) have bought Yokohoma technology. One review I read said they were a great value and while they weren't top of the line, they were certainly adequate. Only complaint on the model the guy was reviewing (sorry, I forgot where I read it) was that the front tire seemed a little heavy and needed a good firm hand.

I got the 230 tour master pair (the only one's that were in stock and fit) and should get 'em on a week from Sat.
                            1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                            2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Yeah, I may be spreading rumors since I haven't actually read it, but I was told that is a fact.. that Shinko bought Yokohamas patents, tire molds, .. the whole shebang.

Hopefully they'll work out well for you. They are certainly supposed to be a VERY good tire on a budget. Hopefully better than the Cheng-Shins anyway.. lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                                Yeah, I may be spreading rumors since I haven't actually read it, but I was told that is a fact.. that Shinko bought Yokohamas patents, tire molds, .. the whole shebang.

Hopefully they'll work out well for you. They are certainly supposed to be a VERY good tire on a budget. Hopefully better than the Cheng-Shins anyway.. lol.
                                Frankly I don't think they could possibly be as bad as the Cheng-Shins. Those have got to be the worst tires I have ever put on a bike. I have a set on my 400 and I think I would have been better off with a set of mountain bike tires. Don't get me wrong, they grip ok, but they wear really badly and have really bad cupping problems, even on the back tire.
                                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                                Vetter Windjammer IV
                                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                                OEM Luggage Rack
                                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                                Spade Fuse Box
                                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                                750 FD Mod
                                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                X