Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To dress, or not to dress, that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My preference would be one of each.

Yup
    For all the above reasons...

mro

Comment

I have a pacifico

and it is awesome for all of the above ,and is a little different than all the vetters
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I don't know where you live, but I'm in New England.
        I wouldn't trade my Vetter for the world. I ride in 45 degree weather and only the very outside of my a@% gets cold and not even that bad(we 'chicks' have the ballast to handle some cold 'cheek' edges...LOL!). There is some more heat in the summer(and I mean 90 degrees here in N.E.), but nothing that 45mph won't cure. The Vetter actually(from my experience)brings the warmth up around the body(except at high speed, then you don't notice), but it's nothing more than a warm summer day on a bike.
        My windshield is cut down(I refer to 'Sorcien' as a Japanese 'Road-Glide')and it looks cool, but is still functional. The air comes right over the brow of my helmet. I wouldn't want the full windshield, I think it looks weird. I'll try to load a pic, but I don't really remember how to do it. Some of you know how it looks...been away for awhile, but summer's comin'!http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n.../XS11001-1.jpg
        Did it work??? If it did...see the short windshield?
        Yeeesh!!
        The bike doesn't look so much like this now...It has soft bags, 78 seat and is all flat black, no emblems...I ride with all Harleys, and she holds her own and then some...People actually come up to ASK about my bike...LOL! I love it. The whole idea is, do whatever you like that is functional for you! That's the best thing about an XS, it's whatever you want it to be, with ALL the benefits!
        Last edited by CarolynS; 03-15-2010, 12:33 AM.
        80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
        79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

I have a vetter on my sf right now. Its coming off once the weather warms up. I like the protection from the wind during the winter and early spring but I like the wind in my face during the warmer months. Only exception would be if I was planning a very long trip (like 1000+ miles), then I might throw it back on for "fatigue" reasons. Really only takes an hour or so to remove or install it.
          PS, I don't like the looks but i'm a function over form kinda guy, plus I'd rather ride an ugly bike then drive a car.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
            So my question, for those who have done it, is what are the advantages and drawbacks of going the full dresser route with the complete Vetter setup? I did not have Succubus running long enough and consistently enough to be able to draw a judgment.
            Thoughts, anyone?
            Patrick
            Hi Patrick,
            pro:- you get all that lovely weather protection and storage space.
            con:- your 600lb bike just became a 700lb bike.
            You already have the fairing, bags, etc on the non-runner.
            Most likely it all has to come off to get at that bike to fix it anyway.
            Most likely the safest place to store it is on your running bike.
            Choose a wet weekend to do the swap.
            Only YOU can decide if you like the bike better dressed or naked.
            I prefer it naked (Oops, wrong forum?)
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well said Fred!

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Hey, Patrick...

I totally understand the delima...

Mine's a fully dressed Vetter 4, w/ hard side bags & Vetter trunk.
                Love the storage, wind protection, and in the winter... lowers are wonderful.

My fairing's got the tall windshield. Great for winter, or the rain.

But.... sucks big time in the summer. Thought about cutting it down about 4", but then it wouldn't be as good in the rain or the cold. Especially when riding 2 up. Wind buffeting on the passenger would be a lot worse...

Also, as Fred pointed out... extra weight. Plus, when you have the ability to carry all that extra stuff, if you're like me... you do! More weight...

So, there's pros & cons. If you're not a 'frequent flier' type of rider, and your bike seldom sees speeds over 120 mph.... then that's not an issue... but above that speed... gets a little hairy in the handling dept.

Also... one thing I learned early on... if you do decide to go w/ a Vetter fairing... place as much weight in the storage compartments in the fairing as possible... get as much weight over the forks. It really helps with the low speed wobbles, and balances things better.

I'm pretty used to mine now, and love it... although I like the looks of the unencombered bikes better....

One of my buddy's has a naked '79 Standard... I get on that thing every once in a while, and can't believe how much quicker and easier the thing is to ride in the twisties than mine!

Just all depends on what you plan to do... tour a lot on long trips, or short rides on nice days? I'm kinda like MRO.... that's why we all should have one of each! I'm workin' on that...
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Fairings Forever

I have a windjammer on my FS, hard bags (don't know what brand) and a very large trunk (also unknown brand). I made my own mounts, I hate the look of most trunks mounted half way to the sky. Mine is barely above the fender, and has a backrest. Now I want to move it forward over the pass seat, as I hardly ever carry a passenger. I finally found another set of lowers, which will be on soon. I also have an F with vetter fairing w/lowers, and Samsonite detachable bags and trunk. Both bikes can and do pull trailers, and both have FM stereo in the fairings. Wonderful way to travel, I love long distance touring. I can easily out accelerate Hardleys, even with 750 rear gears. LOVE IT
                  put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                  79 F (Blueballs)
                  79 SF (Redbutt)
                  81 LH (organ donor)
                  79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                  76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                  rover has spoken

Comment

Correction

I forgot, I have a different avatar on this site. I can not get the one with my FS small enough
                    79 F (Blueballs)
                    79 SF (Redbutt)
                    81 LH (organ donor)
                    rover has spoken

Comment

Fairings Forever

I have a windjammer on my FS, hard bags (don't know what brand) and a very large trunk (also unknown brand). I made my own mounts, I hate the look of most trunks mounted half way to the sky. Mine is barely above the fender, and has a backrest. Now I want to move it forward over the pass seat, as I hardly ever carry a passenger. I finally found another set of lowers, which will be on soon. I also have an F with vetter fairing w/lowers, and Samsonite detachable bags and trunk. Both bikes can and do pull trailers, and both have FM stereo in the fairings. Wonderful way to travel, I love long distance touring. I can easily out accelerate Hardleys, even with 750 rear gears. LOVE IT
                      79 F (Blueballs)
                      79 SF (Redbutt)
                      81 LH (organ donor)
                      rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
                      X