Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To dress, or not to dress, that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To dress, or not to dress, that is the question...

As we suffer through another Texas spring day (75F, sunny, no wind) I am left to ponder a question about Incubus, my XS11F. It is running wonderfully and I mounted a new Metzler rear yesterday and rode around aimlessly today for a couple hours to break in the new rear. But now I have another question as I look for things to do on this bike.

Right now the bike is pretty bare. I have a windshield and small leather saddle bags, but I am thinking about going the full dresser route. I have a Vetter fairing, trunk and saddlebags on my other XS11F (Succubus), which is not going to be a daily rider any time soon. I don't normally haul much on my bike, but there are times when storage would come in handy.

So my question, for those who have done it, is what are the advantages and drawbacks of going the full dresser route with the complete Vetter setup? I did not have Succubus running long enough and consistently enough to be able to draw a judgment.

Thoughts, anyone?

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

I would say that you really have to like the looks of the dresser first. I could personally never do it, but my Dad loves his. The storage is pretty nice, too. I just always thought the 70's fairings kind of looked like an afterthought. But don't take it from me, I don't even have saddlebags or the toolbox on mine
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

You know Patrick, this is one of those personal preference things. I love my fairing and am still juggling bags to see what I like. I have a small set of leather saddle bags and a barrel bag. This winter I purchased a hard bag and trunk set. I like the convenience of the bags and the comfort and protection of the fairing.

When I was young (under 35) I wouldn't have been caught dead with this stuff on my bike L.O.L!

Deny
      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

How'd you guess, Deny??
        Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I really like the look of the full dresser myself, so that is what I did. The main reason I started was to add the wind protection of the fairing. I LOVE the comfort I gained by adding the windjammer. The small added storage space was nice too (equivalent to a glove compartment in a cage). One added benefit is that the headlight is now frame-mounted, and doesn't wiggle with the bars while trying to balance at slow speeds.

The lowers also greatly increase the weather ranges I feel comfortable riding in. I can ride with mesh pants over gym shorts at freeway speeds at 35F weather and not feel cold at all. I'll remove the lowers in the summer so I can use the highway pegs to increase air flow.

I use the trunk all the time to haul stuff back and forth to work, and I carry a collapsible cardboard drink holder in one of the saddlebags, so I can stop and pick up fast food on my way home if I want. I can carry over 14 2-liter soda bottles at once, and I have seen another guy drop an entire case of beer in his Vetter trunk, along with a few other things!

To me, it's a matter of being prepared and capable of carrying stuff if I wanted to.

The only drawback I can think of is the small added weight, and possible wind drag (lower mpg) added by the bags and trunk. I think the fairing actually reduces drag on the front end though. There are also more pieces to replace/repair if you go down, but then again, the bags might protect the bike a bit in that case.
          Last edited by CatatonicBug; 03-14-2010, 03:12 PM.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Full Dress All The Way!

Now, I use my bike for a daily commuter and the storage is great. I have a Vetter Windjammer and have built custom aluminum saddlebags. I also have a tail trunk wth a 4 gallon aux tank. I also do extensive touring. On my last trip, I left Colorado(where I live) and traveled through Kansas and went on to Missouri to visit some friends. I then proceeded south to Birmingingham, Alabama to visit the Barber Motorsports museum. If you haven't been there, you gotta see this place. Hundreds of bikes that they can get running in about three hours. All of them are runners. They even have their own machine shop. I then traveled up the east coast to see the folks in Massachusetts. Then off to Portland, Maine to visit more friends. Proceeded north to Bar Harbor, Maine where I had lived for five years and still had some buddies there. Then back to Colorado. Now I can tell you from experience, the weather protection from the Vetter(with lowers) are a must. Get the Tall winshield and some rainex and you truck right through the rain. Having the protection of the fairing also helps you ride longer because it cuts down on fatigue. Your not always battling wind, elements, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by papanovember View Post
              Get the Tall winshield and some rainex and you truck right through the rain. Having the protection of the fairing also helps you ride longer because it cuts down on fatigue. Your not always battling wind, elements, etc...
              I completely agree! One question though - RainEx says not to use it on acrylic. I thought about using it on my tall windshield when I first got it, but washed it off when I read the warning. Have you experienced any negative affects from using it?
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Vetter windshild

No negative effects, not a one. I've passed cars pulled over on the side of the road because there wipers couldn't handle the heavy rain! Also, BTW, who cares if you get laughed at with a Vetter fairing. With all the new bikes on the roads, those young wippersnappers are gonna laugh at your undressed XS1100 anyway!

Comment

I was faced with the same question when I finished restoring my 79F. I wanted to leave the bike completely stock and the bike did not come from the factory with any bags, trunks or fairing. I opted to mount a clear handlebar mounted wind screen and use soft over the seat saddle bags. The wind screen is a life saver on long rides and does not hide the bike or take anything away from its stock appearance. The over the seat soft saddle bags hold plenty for road trips.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

So I was out riding today on the little two-lane country roads east of my house enjoying the perfect weather. I like riding out there because you NEVER see any other vehicles. It's just you and the road.

So today there were several other vehicles. All motorcycles. I came around a bend and came up on a Harley. The rider slowed down, and I thought he wanted me to pass. I swung over to the other lane and started by. As I came abreast, however, he sped up and matched my speed. I looked over at him. He was looking at me. Then he smiled, gunned it and took off.

OK, I thought, wanna play? I dropped down a gear and twisted the throttle about halfway, which was plenty to catch him, even though he was riding full out and his barely muffled bike was roaring. I got alongside and matched his speed. He looked at me - and then I smiled and went WOT.

He may as well have been parked. I went about a half mile and slowed down to let him catch up. As he went by I looked at him.

He did not look back.

That would have been much more fun had I been riding a full dresser.

Patrick
                    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                    1969 Yamaha DT1B
                    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Well mine isnt a full dresser but I like the extra comfort this setup provides... This started as a naked bike...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

It's stuff like that which makes you love this "outdated engineering" that much more, doesn't it?
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Indeed that it works sooo well given its age and still can hold its own with 90% of todays bikes. The Windjammer may be dated but Vetter got it right from the beginning. And the same can be said for Yamaha
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

My 79 standard is a full dresser, I have an am/fm cassette player mounted, and can hear my radio well up to 70, nothing like cruising along getting weather info, listening to some killer rock, on a hot summer night. Later 'Dog

Comment

I likes em both ways

I have a Vetter on my SF, and I love it until it gets warm. Long rides are way less tiring also. Storage is definately cool.

That having been said, By Damm that thing is a hoot to ride without the furniture! Goes quicker, handles better too. Plus, I think it looks better.
                              My preference would be one of each.

I have it where I can change it out in about 2 hours.
                              I had it off for winter storage and had to think real hard before I reinstalled it.
                              I'll yank it back off in a couple of months.

I have the Vetter, hard bags, soft bags, luggage rack, big tank, small tank. I get bored and change it around a lot.

XS1100SF
                              XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X