No announcement yet.

Do they all handle like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, not sure I'd be comfy with that either. I think the line would change allright, from vertical to horizontal
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by Coopz View Post
      Finally got my bike up and running last night (81RH Sports) after some minor clutch woes. Took it for a quick fang around the block, just finding its handling.. well.. a bit unusual. Its smooth and balanced in a straight line but sweeping corners it seems like the front wants to turn in the further I lean it. Hard to really discribe, I lean it left and the handlebars want to turn in left as well (very slightly). Just feels a little strange, not at all dangerous, but in 12 years of riding I've never had a bike thats wanted to do this.. Had a XJR1300SP a few years ago, (the XS's grandson) and it was nothing like this. Also had a 1981 GPz1100 and that also handled differently for a similair sized bike and setup.
      Other than that it goes like a windstorm, the previous owner spent a lot of $$ on the engine and it shows, the bikes up to 100 in a blink and dispite its very heavy and clunky gearbox it goes like a cut cat

Also wondering with the petcocks, it has bilateral petcocks on either side of the tank (What the..??) just wondering do they both need to be on the same setting? What is the reason for this?
      You mean all bikes don't handle like this?There are some that handle better?The hell you say!Witch bikes handle better
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
        You mean all bikes don't handle like this?There are some that handle better?The hell you say!Which bikes handle better
        Hi tw,
        any of the "big four" 4 cylinder 600cc sport bikes steer like they are on rails.
        You will of course have to put up with people saying
        "Why is the monkey in the clown suit humping a football as he rides?"
        But a real man will shrug that off.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

When I first got my bike the fork seals were leaky so I released all the air to preserve what was in there until I could replace the seals. I had a really soft front end, I just got em fixed and added 20 lbs air, I weigh 200 lbs. It is a totally different bike. But I can say that riding style can make a difference.

When the bike was still squishy in the front I learned ways to deal with it. A solo seat moved me back and down on the bike and improved my center of gravity which helped my riding style cause I like to lean back a bit. When I initially leaned the bike it would start to hook up then sort of throw itself out a bit, so I'd adjust and lean according then it would hook up. One day on the twisties from Mabton to Bickleton, I was in racing mode and discovered on this bike with the sqishy front end and unpredictable stability, it was best to tuck my inside elbow a little more and lean my body more than the bike. Pretty soon I was dragging my kick stand with ease. Also remember these are shaft drive, so when you let off the gas, the back end will come down and throw a little momentum towards the front and cause a bit of dive when it happens. Stay smooth on the throttle in the corners to solve that. Slow before the corner then charge it.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi tw,
            any of the "big four" 4 cylinder 600cc sport bikes steer like they are on rails.
            You will of course have to put up with people saying
            "Why is the monkey in the clown suit humping a football as he rides?"
            But a real man will shrug that off.
            That's why I won't buy a modern bike. I don't care much for the cruiser stance and I really don't like humping footballs.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              That's why I won't buy a modern bike. I don't care much for the cruiser stance and I really don't like humping footballs.
              You can't beat those awesome clown suits though!
              1980 XS11SG
              Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
              Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
              ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by BigDick View Post
                You can't beat those awesome clown suits though!
                I don't know, I like a nice conservative grey and black myself, if not leather. Black leather that is. With that and the two days beard growth I won't disabuse anyone of their biker stereotypes.

That said, I love my XS, actually both of them, both the 400 and the 1100 although I am more comfortable on the 1100, but I'm not getting rid of the 400.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Fork brace simulation....

http://www.superbrace.com/simulation.html
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                  X