Do they all handle like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they all handle like this?

Finally got my bike up and running last night (81RH Sports) after some minor clutch woes. Took it for a quick fang around the block, just finding its handling.. well.. a bit unusual. Its smooth and balanced in a straight line but sweeping corners it seems like the front wants to turn in the further I lean it. Hard to really discribe, I lean it left and the handlebars want to turn in left as well (very slightly). Just feels a little strange, not at all dangerous, but in 12 years of riding I've never had a bike thats wanted to do this.. Had a XJR1300SP a few years ago, (the XS's grandson) and it was nothing like this. Also had a 1981 GPz1100 and that also handled differently for a similair sized bike and setup.
    Other than that it goes like a windstorm, the previous owner spent a lot of $$ on the engine and it shows, the bikes up to 100 in a blink and dispite its very heavy and clunky gearbox it goes like a cut cat

Also wondering with the petcocks, it has bilateral petcocks on either side of the tank (What the..??) just wondering do they both need to be on the same setting? What is the reason for this?

Each petcock feeds two of the carbs. Normally in stock form it's the two on the same side as the petcock, but many use longer lines and feed the opposite pair. The reason for two, is that the tank hangs over the center part of the frame by a good bit, and if there were only one, you would have a big batch of gas that would never get used. I know my old Honda 360 had a hose between the two side so all the gas got used, but in this case yamaha chose to use two petcocks, They should generally both be on the same setting at any one time.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

For handling, first check your tire pressure. Low pressure can cause it to pull in turns. For added improvement, change the fork oil and make sure the level is correct. If your forks use air pressure, fiddle with that too. More upgrades also include Progressive springs (no need for air anymore), and a fork brace. Also, if your steering stem bearings are worn, not greased, or out of adjustment, the handling and steering will suffer. If you're still not happy with the handling, a modern fork mod might be in order. HTH
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Two words..

Fork Brace.

Mine used to do the same until I put a brace on (and a new front guard, but thats another story). Now it's as twitchy as all hell compared to the wallowing fishing boat type steering it did have. (Remember HQ Holdens?, well they steer just like one of those, turn the wheel and wait) After 11 years of riding it like that I'm having trouble adjusting to the really positive feel it has now.

Go here http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html for a TKAT fork brace and get one, you wont regret it.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          Fork Brace.

Mine used to do the same .~ Now it's as twitchy as all hell compared to the wallowing fishing boat type steering it did have. (Remember HQ Holdens?, well they steer just like one of those, turn the wheel and wait)
          We used yo have a 50 ft. centreboard yawl , and the joke was "turn us around , and make lunch while you're waiting "

air pressure and TKat fork brace two thumbs up
          Jim
          Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
          Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
          and SOXS
          2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I have a Special. At low speeds it does sort of "fall" into the turns. It does not handle like the more modern bikes you mentioned. A fork brace or new springs isn't going to change it. Those things make for improvement, but won't change it. I believe what you described is normal for this bike.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Coopz View Post
              - - - Took it for a quick fang around the block, just finding its handling.. well.. a bit unusual. - - -
              Hi Coopz,
              yeah, those forks'd be OK on a bike that weighed 100lbs less and had only half the power but they do kinda suck on an XS11.
              A good fork brace and fiddling with tire pressures will help but only so much.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

16 years ago, when I got my 81 XS11 Special, I put it up on centerstand to get front wheel up off ground, so I could check the front wheel to see if it would wiggle. Everything else that could contribute to a bad handling problem, had been checked out. Had a good bit of "slop" between the hub and axle. I acquired the two bearings and got organized to have all necessary tools, and replaced the bearings. One bearing had a good bit of movement between the two races~~was real bad. After the fix, the handling problem was gone. To check the wheel while on the machine, in some cases, might be necessary to drop brake calipers and pads away from the rotors, to check for sure for any bearing slop. Couple years later, I added a Tkat front fork brace. Nice. Very nice
                JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

How much did that fork brace set you back?

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                  Fork Brace.

Mine used to do the same until I put a brace on (and a new front guard, but thats another story). Now it's as twitchy as all hell compared to the wallowing fishing boat type steering it did have. (Remember HQ Holdens?, well they steer just like one of those, turn the wheel and wait) After 11 years of riding it like that I'm having trouble adjusting to the really positive feel it has now.

Go here http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html for a TKAT fork brace and get one, you wont regret it.
                  "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Anyone need a TKat fork brace for a STD, I have one I'll let go for $75. I don't need it anymore, due to my FJ fork conversion. I think they're $125 new, IIRC.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Hi Phil,
                      YES, I will take it. ese PM
                      MAxim Phil

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      Anyone need a TKat fork brace for a STD, I have one I'll let go for $75. I don't need it anymore, due to my FJ fork conversion. I think they're $125 new, IIRC.
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                        How much did that fork brace set you back?
                        100 bucks. best 100 ive spent on my bike in a good long while
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                          YES, I will take it.
                          It's yours.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

need for brace

This test was passed on to me some time ago to see if you need a fork brace. Find a wide sweeping turn, clean with no traffic. Grab a handful of brake in the turn. Let go and see if your line changes. If it does, you will benefit from a fork brace.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                              This test was passed on to me some time ago to see if you need a fork brace. Find a wide sweeping turn, clean with no traffic. Grab a handful of brake in the turn. Let go and see if your line changes. If it does, you will benefit from a fork brace.
                              Grabbing the brakes on a sweeping corner?? Pass..:P

Comment

Working...
                              X