Laid down now not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laid down now not starting

Last fall I laid down my '79 XS11 Special and all that seemed to be wrong was that I bent the handle bars and locked up the brakes so it's hard to push. A couple of days ago I finally got around to taking off the bars and popping the start button back into position. I turned the key and the headlights came on and the turn signals and brake light all work. But for some reason when I push the start button, NOTHING happens.
    Here's what I did to it when I laid it down. I was turning onto a main rode and hit a wet spot at maybe 10 mph or so. The bike slid on it's right side for about 30 - 40 feet. I'm pretty sure it died on it's own...but I might have had to turn off the key. The right side of the handlebars got bent almost to the tank and somehow the start button got stuck inside the box it's in. I don't think I ever turned the kill switch on. When I stood it up, everything else looked fine (thank God for the engine guards!) but it was hard to push... the neutral light is on but it feels like the brake is grabbing. Probably because of the bent bars.

All the fuses are fine. Does anyone have any ideas on why absolutely nothing happens when I push the start button?

Thanks!
    -Jim

Jim,

It's nice to maybe be able to help out another Cornhusker. (I'm from just East of Grand Island originally)

First I think I'd be sure to check the wiring to the start button and make sure you didn't pull a connection loose or break a wire. Somebody else is sure to double check me on this one, but I think you can unplug the wire to the starter button somewhere and you should be able to use an ohmmeter and see a connection made when you press the start button.

If you've got a connection there when you hit the start button, it may be the kill switch under the tank. When the bike tips too far while running, it'll cut power to the engine. When you get an impact, I could imagine the kill switch could get jammed in the tipped position. But I think the kill switch only disrupts the spark, not the starter...I've never checked that one.

If you've got the ohmmeter out, you could always check that the kill switch isn't keeping the circuit open. I think that the kill switch will allow the starter to turn over though...seems like I can recall cranking my bike for an awful long time before I realized the kill switch was off.

My guess is that it's a loose wire somewhere. Check your ground wires, anything that might have been suspect before could have gotten jarred open. Also check your fuses...

Aloha, from a former Nebraskan!
    Jon

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

Handle Bar Kill Switch?

The kill switch on the handlebars will prevent the starter from activating/turning if it is in the OFF position. At least that's the way it operates on my 79 XS Special.

If you say that you had to pop the starter button back in then I'd suspect that there may also be damage to this switch: they're right next to each other and likely suffered the same impact.

Good place to start the hunt.
      Last edited by Larrym; 03-05-2010, 03:55 AM.

Comment

I agree pull out a multimeter and check your switches first.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Chances are the tip-over switch activated when it went down. If it did, it might be stuck?
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Plug-n-play...or NOT.

The Tip-over switch is Normally Open. That is in order to kill the engine it has to make contact/complete a circuit. The the handlebar Kill switch is Normally Closed and has to open/break a connection to stop the engine.

Click on the diagram to show it full size:

Courtesy of member TopCatGr58

Both switches also show that they each have a separate connector into the main wiring harness.

Without a meter it's possible to just disconnect the proper connector for the Tip-over switch and try to activate the starter. If it starts or tries to then you'll know it was the switch.

You can also plug the switch back in and see if it reproduces the "failure to start" problem.

The handlebar switch requires a meter to test for continuity between the two red/white striped wires at the switch side of the connector. In the run position there should be continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
              Chances are the tip-over switch activated when it went down. If it did, it might be stuck?
              I don't think that the tipover overrides the starting, just kills the ignition. I could be wrong though.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yep, looks like the tip over kill switch just shorts out the TCI from providing spark.

Start with the easy stuff, jump across the large leads of the solenoid and see if the starter turns. If it does then the issue is most likely somewhere in your handlebar kill switch or the starter button. Both of which took a beating form what you stated. Or it could be the solenoid itself. Take a couple wires and jump the blue wire form the solenoid to the battery ground and the small red wire form the solenoid to the battery positive terminal, if the starter turns, then the solenoid is good. Trace power out from the fuse box on to see where you loose it.

If not, then you may have pulled a ground wire loose somewhere. OR somehow killed your starter. It all gets fuzzy grey for me from there.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

If the kill switch is in the "off" position, the starter will NOT turn over! IF it's even just a little off the run, it may be OFF!! BTDT
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X