Non-DOT Turn Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
    The issue I believe it that it's well established that federal law trumps state law,
    Not always... That is true when Federal Law says you CAN'T do something, the state cannot turn around and say that you CAN (i.e., drug laws). However, If Federal Law says you CAN do something, State Law can recind that and say you CAN'T in that state (i.e., gun laws).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      You also cannot pull into the intersection and wait for oncoming traffic to clear when making a left turn.
      Geez, if they did that here, traffic would come to a dead halt! No one would ever be able to make a left.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        Not always... That is true when Federal Law says you CAN'T do something, the state cannot turn around and say that you CAN (i.e., drug laws). However, If Federal Law says you CAN do something, State Law can recind that and say you CAN'T in that state (i.e., gun laws).
        Actually I'm pretty sure if you check, there are pretty much no federal gun laws. The only ones have to do with fully automatic weapons and they DO AFAIK override state law. So far the courts have sided with the Feds in every case. That doesn't mean I agree all the time, and there are some cases coming up that if the SC doesn't wimp out will greatly change the picture with gun laws (I expect they will wimp out and make sure they don't actually do anything).

Now I could be wrong, but I know more than one person who legally own weapons that pretty much are illegal in CA (assault rifles) because they are fully auto and the persons in question have federal firearms licenses and the tax stamps for each weapon they own.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreeze5 View Post
          Ive dealt with that situation before. I am a big 4x4 and Jeep fan, and have spent time in Moab. They like to ticket people for things that are illegal there, but are not illegal here. Forgive me, but Ive forgotten the specific charges, it wasnt my rig, it was a friends, and its been a while. But I have heard of this happening to multiple people around here.

He got pulled over for some violation on his truck, fenders, or bumper height or something. He got the ticket and fine for Moab and a court date weeks later he could come back and fight it. But they know that most people will just pay the ticket instead of coming back to fight the it. He paid the ticket even though he followed the law of his city.

Technically, the vehicle must fit the regulations for the area that it is registered, but that doesnt mean you cant get screwed in another state.
          That's interesting, as in every jurisdiction I have been aware of, an equipment violation tickets are fixit tickets and you can't just pay a fine, you must get signed off by a LEO or the court that the violation has been corrected. I've never heard of an equipment violation ticket that you didn't have to prove that you had fixed the issue you were ticketed for as well as pay the fine.
          Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Spade Fuse Box
          750 FD Mod
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I've always wondered if I ever got pulled over out of my own state, and they asked me for proof of insurance. Florida does not require insurance on a motorcycle, so I don't carry any. I do ride plenty out of state and I've never been stopped, knock.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              I've always wondered if I ever got pulled over out of my own state, and they asked me for proof of insurance. Florida does not require insurance on a motorcycle, so I don't carry any. I do ride plenty out of state and I've never been stopped, knock.
              Now there is an area that is as grey as it gets. I know my ins co says they will cover at least the minimum level if I travel out of state for the state that I'm traveling to, and frankly I like the things I own so I would carry ins anyways. Also with progressive and full coverage (declared value 1500) I can get roadside assistance which I have. I also have medical payment and un/under insured driver coverage, so I'm covered pretty much no matter what. I'm frankly not sure what would happen if you got pulled over in an ins mandatory state when living and registered/licensed in an ins optional state. I THINK however there is some federal regulation having to do with interstate commerce that requires each state to accept other states regs for vehicles registered and garaged in said state. This is where things like front plate requirements and such are covered.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
              X