Shock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Question

Ok, didn't find anything in a quick search. Will XJ1100 shocks work on an XS110, as in bolt up and function properly? And can the air shocks be rebuilt like the forks can? I ask because I might can pick up a pair of XJ shocks for a reasonable price and if they will work, and especially if they can be refurbished then I may go for them for the adjust-ability. So, what say you?
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Rebuild thread here....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=13400
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I don't know about a simple bolt on swap, but I do know people that have run them on their XS.

Bigfoot rebuilt a set one time and did a write-up. You could contact him about that.. seems I remember he had a heck of a time but maybe found an easier way?

BUT.. if you're patient, you can find a good set on Ebay that won't need to be rebuilt for cheap. Just remember that the oil can travel from one shock to the other through the connecting line if held upside down or sideways. If they haven't been kept upright, I turn them upside down and let them sit overnight like that. The next day, I grab the center of the line between them and hang them up from that point right side up and let the oil drain back into them for another day.

I love the adjustability of them from cruising with little/no pressure and a low dampening setting to shooting some to them to firm them up and go scrub the outside of my tire.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Here a set on Flea bay $29.95

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-XS1100-110...item518d3ab119
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Cy, they'll bolt right up.

I don't remember the details right now but I had to install them 'backwards' with the damper adjuster wheel facing the inside of the frame to get the air line to fit across to both shocks.

The shocks work great! and it's like riding a different bike. I just can't see the damper settings.

I've been out riding between rainstorms this week but I have them pulled right now to clean them up and change the fluid so I'll see if I can figure out why I put them on 'backward' last time and how to install them with the adjuster wheels facing the right direction.

Regards,

Scott
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Ok, I just bought the set on fleabay. I've been watching them for a while, and those guys are stupid. These are the ones selling parts off an XJ as XS parts. Of course a lot of them WILL interchange, such as the footpegs, so I have XJ footpegs and now I will have XJ shocks.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              ... now I will have XJ shocks.
              The shocks will bolt right on but you have to reverse them to get the air line to fit across the frame without hitting the helmet lock. Tod's given you the straight dope about equalizing the oil in the shocks before you put them on the bike.

To install them quickly and get out of Dodge, loosen the air line and turn the shocks around 'in place'. They'll bolt right up but that puts the damper wheels facing inward toward the frame. They work fine.

To install them correctly, switch the shocks over to the opposite sides to get the damper wheels facing outward. The lower shock bushings won't fit so you have to press out and switch the lower bushings.

The shock rebuild Tech Tip mentions the quantity but not the type of oil to put in the shocks if you drain the the ooze that was in there for the last 30 years. A search for XJ shock oil found the oil level and weight: 5w oil (75 mm 2.95" from the top).

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                .... so I'll see if I can figure out why I put them on 'backward' last time.....
                Too many beers perhaps ??
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                  Too many beers perhaps ??
                  No, no beers... <sniff><fx:wipes tear from eye> a 250 mile night ride that had to get done so no time to play nice with the installation and the exact details only lightly ensconced in the old unforgettery until I did some more work on them today.

Regards,

Scott
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Tech Tip Revised!

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                    The shock rebuild Tech Tip mentions the quantity but not the type of oil to put in the shocks if you drain the the ooze that was in there for the last 30 years. A search for XJ shock oil found the oil level and weight: 5w oil (75 mm 2.95" from the top).

Regards,

Scott

It DOES NOW..thanks Scott, it's been added to the tech tip!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Lose the helmet lock and bolt 'em on. Be sure and change out the oil. 5w is what the book calls for. I might try ATF next time just to see if there's a difference. It's working great in the forks.
                      I like 'em on my bike. The adjustability TRBig mentioned is an excellent feature.
                      1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        It DOES NOW..thanks Scott, it's been added to the tech tip!
                        T.C.
                        Thanks, T.C.! I read the Tech Tip several times then spent some more time searching the web for the XJ oil spec and it was here at my fingertips on Channel 11 the whole time. After spending a rainy afternoon today reading up on the latest about shock oil and fork oil and ATF and motor oil and hydraulic oil....

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
                        Lose the helmet lock and bolt 'em on.
                        Hey now! It's always nice to start taking bits off your bike just to change shocks and the ride is good and all but I use the helmet lock!

Be sure and change out the oil. 5w is what the book calls for. I might try ATF next time just to see if there's a difference. It's working great in the forks.

I like 'em on my bike. The adjustability TRBig mentioned is an excellent feature.
                        It's nice to have choices that weren't even available 30 years ago but ATF is closer to 20w.

In a nutshell so I don't veer off into yet-another-oil-thread: Rear shocks have slightly smaller oil passages than damper-style front forks and automatic transmissions and internal combustion engines. They use lighter oil like the new cartridge-style forks but there are huge differences between brands and even within the same brand.

A little bit from a dedicated home oil tester posted over at Bob Is The Oil Guy: Motor Oil for fork oil?

Here's a decent Suspension Fluid Wiki.

Enjoy! There's a lot out there to choose from!

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Scott,
                          You can ALWAYS MOVE the helmet lock! As long as you can't get to the screws without removing something else, it should be secure.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                            Scott,
                            You can ALWAYS MOVE the helmet lock! As long as you can't get to the screws without removing something else, it should be secure.
                            Ray, I tried that first. I'm all about doing things the easy way whenever possible! It's easier to swap the lower shock bushings, flip the shocks and leave the helmet lock right where it is.

The crossover air line rubbed on the tab where the helmet lock attaches and you KNOW why I named this bike 'Columbo'. I'd have to grind off the tab or, at best, I'd be trying to fix a leaking air line with bailing wire, duct tape and chewing gum and replacing the lost shock oil with used motor oil. I guess I should find a spare air line for road trips anyway and stash it with the spare brake and clutch levers.

"Just one more thing!"

Regards,

Scott
                            -- Scott
                            _____

Comment

If you installed them backward to get the air lines out of the way of the helmet lock, then wouldn't it work just to swap left to right, so the adjuster is still accessible from the out side?
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X