Shock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
    If you installed them backward to get the air lines out of the way of the helmet lock, then wouldn't it work just to swap left to right, so the adjuster is still accessible from the out side?
    That's what I did a couple of days ago, Ivan.

The shocks won't fit if you change them side-to-side because the left side shock mount bolt on the swingarm and the right side shock mount stud on the final drive are different diameters. You have to swap the lower shock bushings and they're not easy to remove and press back in because they're almost 30 years old.

Okay, The Story:

One of the OEM shocks lost its oil all over the swingarm and the back tire. I was over at soccer4m's house taking a break in the middle of a multi-state ride and it was getting dark so he gave me a set of XJ shocks and helped me change them right there on the spot -- thanks again, Mike!

Neither one of us wanted to play around with trying to press out old rubber bushings right then so I just turned the shocks around in place with the damper wheels 'outside-in' to get back on the road. They bolted right on and they didn't leak air or oil. Fantastic! They're a little longer than the OEM XS shocks so it changed the geometry of the bike a little but it was easy enough to get used to a slightly taller bike.

After putting a few thousand miles on them that way I finally found a 'tuit a few days ago and swapped the lower bushings around so I could put the shocks on with the damper adjuster wheels on the outside where I can see them. I don't actually use the damper settings on anything except position#4 but they're nice to look at and they make soothing clicking noises when I turn them.

I still haven't changed the shock oil yet but after I burn another 'tuit or two I'll go ogle the new bikes down at the shop and see what kind of oil is on the shelf.

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
    X