No announcement yet.

Why the Tipover Switch won't trip while moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The switch does work and is a good design.Years ago i took the bike out on a winters day and there was a lot of salt/sand on the roads.I had to stop rather quickly and slid on loose salt/sand and the bike fell over and shut off.The switch did its intended job which i was thankful for!
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

There's only one thing I can think of that having the switch would case a problem with. I have heard of a method of standing a bike back up after a fall by turning the handlebars hard and "driving" the bike into an upward position. I remember reading about that being part of the training for a moto cop. Unfortunately, the switch won't allow us to start the bike while laying down like that...

Maybe we could wire in a switch to disable the TOS for that purpose!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Naw, you can do it manually. Just turn the front wheel towards the ground, grab the near handgrip and the grab rail while squatting facing away from the bike, and press your butt against the seat while starting to stand. The bike will stand right up. I've had to do it twice now, once in my driveway and once again on the first test drive of my replacement engine in a gravel parking lot (the true test of the technique in my mind). The entire technique is I believe outlined in the tech tips on the board here.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I remember reading about that being part of the training for a moto cop.

That's because they don't have to buy their own parts when they gouge/grind up the sidecovers before it pops up.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

To stand my XS back up, I use the index and middle finger on my right hand under the grab rail and just pull it up? The bike only weighs about #600, what's the big deal?
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
              To stand my XS back up, I use the index and middle finger on my right hand under the grab rail and just pull it up? The bike only weighs about #600, what's the big deal?
              Well, the sarcasm is refreshing.

If you look here you will find the tech tip on how to do this. I have exchanged messages with some small women who have used this technique on relatively heavy bikes with success.

The first drop I tried the normal grunt method and with no success remembered about this technique and used it. It does make the task FAR easier.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Sarcasm?

Ok, I use all four fingers. Seriously its not that tough, just pick the thing up?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                  Sarcasm?

Ok, I use all four fingers. Seriously its not that tough, just pick the thing up?
                  Really, try the recommended method, it really is a LOT easier to pick it up using that method. Especially with a full dresser like mine. A naked bike may be a lot easier, but one of these things as a dresser can be a feat to pick up off the ground. And smaller guys can have some real trouble with them (as can the gals). Why strain yourself more than needed? Now I wouldn't suggest laying it down just to practice, just keep it in mind for the next time it's needed.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

I haven't tried any fancy tricks yet, but the few times I have had the bike fall over, I have determined that I am "almost" completely unable to pick up the bike by myself. I spent 20 minutes in my office patio (where I park when it might rain) trying to lift it once. Of course, fuel spilled on the concrete, and melted the soles of my shoes (rubber is still smeared on the patio) making it even more difficult. That incident left me with sore wrists and thighs for 2 days! Maybe I'm just weak, but 200 lbs is my dead weight limit on a GOOD day. I don't know what the actual weight of a fallen bike is (anybody have a really big fish scale?), but it seems higher than 200 lbs.

I have the full-dresser thing too, but I have noticed that this may actually be a help, as it ends up resting on the saddlebag, preventing the bike from going all the way to the ground. The added weight of the empty luggage really isn't all THAT much (maybe 10 lbs. total).

I am seriously considering a practice run in my front yard with the tech tip's method. The only thing I did not do before was lock the wheel to the side. I dunno... Maybe this can be done as a training session at the MOTM rally!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Maybe this can be done as a training session at the MOTM rally!

??? OK.. we'll all take turns knocking your bike over in the driveway and practice picking it up.

I'm with Ivan though. I just grab the handlebar that's down and the side of the grab rail and pick it up. Even better yet.. I stand there talking on the phone after mine falls over in the hotel parking lot, and I watch as Russ picks it up for me! lol.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Just so happens I have a lot of practice, since my side stand doesn't extend automatically when I forget.

Instead of C-Bugs bike, can we go to a biker bar and practice on Harleys? I hear those guys are always willing to help with stuff like that.

Comment

I always had enough of that "quick, get it up before someone sees you" adrenaline going the I just picked it up. Full dress XJ.
                          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I pulled over to get a cigarette out of my sissy bar bag one time and lost my balace when I turned around in the seat. (that was when I still smoked)

The bike (My old CX 500) ended up laying on the edge of the highway on the edge of the barrow pit top end about a foot below the bottom end.

The first two tries failed miserably, the third was a "I'm going to get this f^cking thing up if it kills me!" effort.

Thank god for Walmart, I needed new underwear.

Comment

Worst one that happened to me was dropping the bike when paying the toll on the Mass. Pike in Worcester. Try picking up a bike when you're feet are slipping in oil. It did shut off tho.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                              X