Pilot Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Jets

Hello and thank you for imparting your vast and extensive knowledge upon me.

Could someone tell me how to inject PB Blaster to the backside of the pilot jet threads.

I have been looking at the casting, and I am asking if there is a combination of setup that would direct the PB Blaster to flow to the other side of the pilot jet threads. IE: reinstall the idle needle screw and inject blaster here....

I see that the idle screw is not the route, just using that as an example.

If you have been following, I finally removed the idle needle screw after a few days soaking and application of heat to the casting with my micro torch.

I am fashioning a screw driver for the best fit this morning. Upon removal, I will be complete in my disassembly. I am convinced that this non removal of the pilot jets in the past has been the failure in my previous repair/rebuilding attempt.

Have a great day.... it is beautiful weather here for a ride!
    Kurt
    Treasure Coast, Florida

I have a parking problem everywhere I go....

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
    1987 944 n/a
    1979 Titan
    1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
    1984 Suzuki SP 250
    1987 Santana 23
    1944 Aeronca L-3B Grasshopper

If it fly's, float's or fornicates..... your better off having a lease!

If you don't smoke then enlist the help of someone who does.
    Blow smoke through the jet or opening using a straw (drinking or swizzle stick type). See where the smoke exits and PB Blast from there.

We were told this tip for finding passages in automatic transmission valve bodies
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Thanks Pat,

I've just got two out and two remain..... I'm using a screw extractor on these....

It is taking quite a bit of torque. The two removed were all cruded up, so this will be my shining moment in a finely tuned piece of Japanese artwork.

I continue to soak, tap, heat, repeat.... they will submit!

Can I get these from a local cycle shop?

The jet port (?name?) at the inlet bell and the idle air screw ports are connected to the back of the pilot jet. So PB Blaster may be being applied if the pilot jet will allow passage (not clogged).

Wish me luck!
      Kurt
      Treasure Coast, Florida

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
      1987 944 n/a
      1979 Titan
      1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
      1984 Suzuki SP 250
      1987 Santana 23

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly View Post
        "Do you want it done right? Or do you want me to do it?"
        This is great....... can't wait to use it at work....
        Kurt
        Treasure Coast, Florida

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
        1987 944 n/a
        1979 Titan
        1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
        1984 Suzuki SP 250
        1987 Santana 23

Comment

If you put the nozzle in the air jet, it should hit the back of the pilot jet. Maybe this will help - it's for BS32's but they're pretty much the same as the 34's. Fuel Flow Diagrams
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
            If you put the nozzle in the air jet, it should hit the back of the pilot jet. Maybe this will help - it's for BS32's but they're pretty much the same as the 34's. Fuel Flow Diagrams
            Thanks Doug...
            Air Jet.... thats what they call it.
            Kurt
            Treasure Coast, Florida

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
            1987 944 n/a
            1979 Titan
            1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
            1984 Suzuki SP 250
            1987 Santana 23

Comment

You can get the pilots at Mikes XS for $6 a pair - BS30/96 type. Shouldn't take too long for you to get them as Mikes is also in Florida, about 50 miles north of Tampa.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Cheap Jets?

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                You can get the pilots at Mikes XS for $6 a pair - BS30/96 type. Shouldn't take too long for you to get them as Mikes is also in Florida, about 50 miles north of Tampa.
                Jets can be found fairly cheap:

Trained pilots are a little more expensive.

Comment

Does anyone know what tap I would use to chase the pilot jet threads?

I had / have been using a screw extractor for a few days with no luck.
                  I line drilled it with a #40 bit and got a good grab. After soaking, heating, failing, repeat.... I thought that possibly it was bound down by the nose of the pilot jet.
                  I line drilled it with a #30 bit, well within the threads and was able to go back in with the small extractor and remove the nose of the jet through the #30 hole through the threaded portion. Now I have the threaded section of the pilot jet in the hole.

I customized a screw extractor to go back it for the next portion and failed. when I shook out the debris, I noted that I had silver shards and not the brass...oopsie

If I can get the remains of the brass threads out, I will need to chase what is left of the threads (fingers crossed).... Additionally, if I know what the spec drill size is, I can line bore it to the tapping size, that should get me darn close to just having a brass spring in the threads.

In hind site, which is usually 20/20, I should have tried this experiment on the carb with the broken float post..... I was not hoisting Heineken and doing maintenance. That is probably where I began to mess up.
                  Kurt
                  Treasure Coast, Florida

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
                  1987 944 n/a
                  1979 Titan
                  1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
                  1984 Suzuki SP 250
                  1987 Santana 23

Comment

Beer is the lubrication you need to get anything done.

Which carbs did you intercourse up? I have 1 2 & 4.

Comment

Thanks Greg,

Carb #2 has a broken float post from PO and still has a pilot jet installed in it. If I get the pilot jet out, it should be still serviceable with the broken post and a jury rig. Of course I'd prefer to have is right...

Carb #3 may have a pilot jet tread situation as previously mentioned.

Too much blood in my alcohol stream...
                      Kurt
                      Treasure Coast, Florida

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
                      1987 944 n/a
                      1979 Titan
                      1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
                      1984 Suzuki SP 250
                      1987 Santana 23

Comment

Have another drink dammit.......

# 2 is good, # 3 has a broken post because of my drunk ass trying to knock the pin out.

Sorry.

He he pickled bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by fabricgator View Post
                          Does anyone know what tap I would use to chase the pilot jet threads?
                          I'm almost sure it's a M5-.80, BTW, a small Allen wrench can be hammered into the pilot jet to aid in it's removal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

fire, fire is cool...

aluminum expands more then brass.

remove all parts that can burn,

then take propane torch and heat carb body in the area of stuck brass.

then when it's good and hot, spray WD40 into area of brass.

this is not for the faint of heart. LOTS of smoke and most likely flames.

after flames die down. repeat this procedure 2-3 times.

and you will find that the offending brass should screw right out.

I use this method on any carb i am dismantling for the first time.

Good Luck!!
                            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys,

I had been using a small torch and heating the area to the point where I could not hold the diaphram horn continuously, I thought that may have been hot enough, but then possibly not.

And Phil, the hex key idea is great... I think there is even a fluted screw extractor set that works in a 1/8th hole, so either of those may get me back on the road.
                              Another thought is that I may have the right heat temp but I should heat for a longer period of time. My concern was the butterfly shaft seals. Ah, whats another vacuum leak, the holders look rough....

Welp, I'm going to the garage to melt some aluminum... *hic*

Spanx Gize.....
                              Kurt
                              Treasure Coast, Florida

2001 Mitsubishi Montero
                              1987 944 n/a
                              1979 Titan
                              1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
                              1984 Suzuki SP 250
                              1987 Santana 23

Comment

Working...
                              X