Stupid Special handlebar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Special handlebar question

So, I have always felt "squished" on the Scorpion. Then, I restore SWMBO's 1982 XJ650 Maxim, and I feel really comfortable. WTF?

I get to looking at both the steeds, side by side, and I notice that her handle bars are wider, at the grip tip, than mine! WTF?

So, I took a measurement, and I am 28" from hole to hole at the end of the grips. She is 31.5" from hole to hole.

Can someone, who has a Special, measure their width from the center of the holes?

I think I may have smaller bars on Scorpion than stock.

Thanks,
    Gone but never Forgotten:
    1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
    2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Hey Skippy, I have two sets of the Special "garden tiller" bars. One set came off my xs1100 and they were only 25.5" center to center and the other set came off my xs850 they are 28.5" center to center
    Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

WOW, that's quite a difference among all these bars, huh? I would have expected the dimensions to be relatively close, if not exact?

I guess I'll have to go try out some after market bars and see if I can find something wider and more comfortable.

Thanks, Rev,
      1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

No problem Skippy, I actually despise the special bars. I replaced both of the stock bars on my specials with superbike bars. I like them much better. Their not as strait as drag bars and they provide much better riding posture (at least for me)
        Rev.Rick

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

Rev,

How did you resolve the issue of the front master cylinder and its crazy angle on the original sloping buckhorn bar?

If I change my bar configuration, like you did, I might consider changing out master cylinders with one, like from an '99 VMax.

Whaddya think?
          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Skippy, I used a stock MC from the xs11 standard model, It sits very level when placed on the superbike bars. Just a word to the wise. If you go this route make sure that you get a MC with a 11/16 bore and not a 14mm bore. the xs650 with a single front disk used the smaller bore MC, the 11/16 bore is made to work with the duel front disk application.
            Rev.Rick

Comment

Roger that! The VMax has dual front discs, so it might work OK, and is readily available.

I'll report back when I resolve this.

Thanks,
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by skippy344 View Post
                Rev,

How did you resolve the issue of the front master cylinder and its crazy angle on the original sloping buckhorn bar?

If I change my bar configuration, like you did, I might consider changing out master cylinders with one, like from an '99 VMax.

Whaddya think?
                Hi Skippy,
                I don't let it bother me. The only time the m/c has to be level is when you take the top off and on those rare occasions you can swivel the m/c on the bars and turn the bars to full lock to bring the m/c to near 'nuff level.
                If you are sufficiently bothered by how the stocker looks on flatter bars to swap it the ONLY thing that's important in swapping to a different m/c is to make sure it's the same piston diameter.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

So, Rev. Rick, If a guy were to put a wider tank on the XS, from a Maxim, do you think the 850 bars would give enough spread as to not get into the tank when the head is turned?
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rev.Rick View Post
                    Skippy, I used a stock MC from the xs11 standard model, It sits very level when placed on the superbike bars. Just a word to the wise. If you go this route make sure that you get a MC with a 11/16 bore and not a 14mm bore. the xs650 with a single front disk used the smaller bore MC, the 11/16 bore is made to work with the dual front disk application.
                    Hi Rick,
                    FWIW, the post '77 XS650 m/c works just great when you add the left-side disk & caliper.
                    That m/c is way too big to operate only one caliper which accounts for it's wooden feel in a single disk application.
                    See this chart:-
                    http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm
                    for more about m/c to caliper ratios than you really need to know.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

i've always been pretty fond of the european bars , the angle on the m/c is fine . here is a set on mine .

Comment

You need a new speedo Dodge. 85 doesn't even cover 3rd gear.

Not to change the subject ya know.

Comment

Hey Ivan,

On that tank contact question. I have already looked into it as I'm in the process of expanding a tank. The stop lugs that keep it from smacking the tank will have to be modified. I am considering drill, tap and a set screw in the lug to restrict movement. I don't think it will adjust the turn radius to radically.
                          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                          Original except:
                          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Btw

I am referring to my 1100 but the same should apply to all.
                            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                            Original except:
                            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                            X