Man, this is a dumb one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi 1st time,
    hard starting? are you twisting the throttle while it's cranking?
    If so that's at least part of the problem. Closed throttle increases vacuum which helps to draw fuel threw the enricher circuit to start.

So pull out choke (enricher circuit) and crank. Some not in tune like a little throat action right after they fire, others in tune fire right up and RPM should go to around 12/1500 and as it warms up increases.

Good luck, welcome to Chanel 11

mro

Comment

Don't be cussin the XJ's... just cause Yamaha finally got smart & fixed a bunch of the XS's shortcommings in '82!
      And all this time I’ve thought that the biggest difference between an XS and XJ was that XJ’s came with a factory installed bad case of the ickieys (YICKS)

mro

Comment

Yeah, Yeah....

One bright feature that the XJ has that the XS don't...kick stand down warning light!!! That right there's worth it's weight in... aluminum...

'Specially for us 'senior moment type' fellas... LOL

Ohhhh, and we mustn't forget about the wonderful battery warning light, either! The most 'useful' item ever created for a motorcycle...

hehehehe... I figured I'd get a few backs raised with that little comment... just figured it'd be Randy first, though...
        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 02-12-2010, 11:26 PM.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post
          And all this time I’ve thought that the biggest difference between an XS and XJ was that XJ’s came with a factory installed bad case of the ickieys (YICKS)
          Nah. They fixed the rototiller handlbars, and made them easier to adjust. They also made the linked braking system standard. Yamaha improved the shocks on the XJ too. They increased the output of the alternator, and put more sensors on the bike to tell you when things went wrong. Of course, they also added that stupid sidestand lockout feature... I guess some people needed that one though.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

just cause Yamaha finally got smart & fixed a bunch of the XS's shortcommings in '82!
            Want to race!!
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Nah. They also made the linked braking system standard. ....... and put more sensors on the bike to tell you when things went wrong.

And here I thought you were listing the things they improved!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by mro View Post

mro
                I fixed that annoying little problem with the YICS Eliminator.

Larry
                Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                82 XJ1100
                80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                64 Yamaha YA-6
                77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Working...
                X