No announcement yet.

A Call To All Great Exhaust Builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks really nice, and fits the style of your bike really well. Good on ya for the legwork into this! Nicely done.
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Nice mod. I paid about 130 for my Supertrapp, but it's not SS, just painted.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Biker,

That sounds about right. Last I looked on Ebay, the black steel mufflers were $130.
        My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Here is the wrap up for this post. The other muffler came in yesterday and I got the exhaust finished today.

The right side is what I was waiting to finish.

I have to say they really look better in real life than the photos.

Each muffler mounted evenly from the back.

One unexpected surprise was that the clamp had to be mounted with the bolt side down rather than hiding it to the back side

The reason is because the center stand mounting bracket is closer to the outside of the frame than on the left side. I never noticed than until now.

So that's it. The exhaust is installed...now if I can just get it to start BTW, if you can help with that issues, go to my new post titled, Will A Low Battry Keep An XS11 From Starting.

Later

Comment

that looks great!!! if you want to get away from the black, wrap the headers! i am in the middle of a couple of things, one of which is cleaning up my pipes, seeing how bad of shape they are in, and painting them with high temp paint and wrapping them. if they turn out to be crap when i get them cleaned up i am going with your fix.
            1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

Mash...Thankyou for a wealth of information...I have been following this very closely...I too am looking for an alternative to my suck azz exhaust...I am totally frustrated with searching for a used kerker or anything else to fit on my XJ. I have a Jardine 4 to1 and it plain sucks...ok it does sound good but it looks like crap and it really does not fit the contour of the bike's frame...add to that...it drags on the road when doing anything but a gentle right hander. I will have to do something similar to what Biker Phil has done..Mac headers into 1 pipe with the Supertrapp muffler...the same as what you put on yours...But since i cant find a used MAC I will have to buy it new along with the ST can and we'll be over $500 On top of that since Mac headers are cheap they will discolor so I would have the whole system ceramically coated add $200...so this wont be cheap,but i cant se any other alternative. Unless there is someone out there who has a kerker??? Yeah right.... Oh yeahI forgot...your setup looks great!
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You moved away before you ever got to pick off the parts pile.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

Your solution looks great. I wonder if that is possible with the stock downpipes AND the interconnecting pipe?
                  XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                  MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                  Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                  Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                  Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                  Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                    You moved away before you ever got to pick off the parts pile.
                    Garrett...I moved 2nd week in Dec '09 at that point I was not even thinking abt an exhaust...this has been a recent decision since reading this thread. I do believe I saw you had a Jardine spaghetti system? I should have jumped on that...my Jardine 4 to 1 is a POS.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I've put about one hundred miles on the bike now and I'm still real pleased with the exhaust.

I guess the best way to close this thread is to post a video so you can see and hear the system Turn the volume up a bit because the sound isn't that great

I highly recommend this setup

Comment

Aawwhh...COME ON!!!! No REV REV....???
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Not even a drive by at an even/level throttle??!

I could live with the doppler effect...

Comment

Yeah how's it sound at WOT? My sister had a 750 Seca with an old single supertrapp system on it and damn was that thing loud, you could hear her about 3/4 of a mile away coming from the light. But my XJ650 is close to that with the stock duals, when I let someone else ride it I can tell if they are pussy-footing or giving it hell as they go around the one mile block, because if they're standing on it I can hear them at the corner a mile away.
                            BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
                            80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

OK...OK...the sharks are on a feeding frenzy

That video was taken right after I got the engine to start, so it had about ZERO miles on it I wasn't about to rip this engine up to 9 grand

Let me get it broke in and I'll give you a good rev up. I will say though that even with all 12 discs in place it is much quiter than I thought it would be...which is what I wanted. It has just enough of a mellow growl to please me, but it doesn't make my head rattle going down the road.

However, if you want loud, you can take all the discs off and run it open

Comment

Sounds and looks great Masher. Very nice zorst option. Thanks for all the hard work.
                                Melbourne, Australia. XS1100RH

Comment

Working...
                                X