carb choke/butterfly leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb choke/butterfly leaking

So back before I knew better I dipped the entire carb bodies while cleaning them. Needless to say, now I have a nice gas stain coming from at least my #4 carb body. My question is what type of rebuild kit do i need? I know the normal kits only have new needles and bowl gaskets. Will my local Yama-robbers have what I need? Thanks all.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

I ordered a set of throttle shaft seals and butterfly screws from mikesxs. They appear to be the right ones, but I have not installed them as yet. Maybe some others have had experience with them that can enlighten you more.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hit Cycle Station on Douglas and Seneca(?). It looks like an old gas station that is now painted in black and white checkers. Kinda a ratty looking place, but they probably have a box of old carb parts you can dig through to see if you can find a few seals.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

If you soaked the entire carb assembly, not only are the seals fried, but your diaphragms are probably bloated and deformed as well. They will need to be replaced more than likely. Buying new diaphragms is ridiculously expensive(~$600) though. Its probably cheaper to find a new set of carbs.
        1981 XS11SH Custom Project - Juggernaut
        1990 FZR600 Hybrid Streetfighter - Lilith
        1996 FZR600 Custom Project
        1994 FZR600

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
          Hit Cycle Station on Douglas and Seneca(?). It looks like an old gas station that is now painted in black and white checkers. Kinda a ratty looking place, but they probably have a box of old carb parts you can dig through to see if you can find a few seals.
          I know the place you're talking about. I'm planning on holding off until my taxes go through in any event.

I'm pretty sure that i pulled the diaphragms out when I dipped them. There's half a chance that the seals just plain wore out. I dipped the bodies in one ounce(maybe one cup) of acetone mixed with one gallon of gas. Next time we get a few days of nice weather like we just had I'll pull the carbs and check them over real close.
          1980 XS11SG
          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Working...
          X