Just a simple question on fork seal removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a simple question on fork seal removal

What is the best way you have found to remove the old seals? I might have to make a slide bar puller, unless there is a different idea. Somebody has allready nicked up the outer edges of the outer tube before. Fortunately nothing serious.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

There is a tool that looks like a flat blade screw driver with the curve in the blade. IF the inner tubes are out, put a rag on the edge of the lower tube, and pry up. You CAN use a screw driver as well, but be careful with the edge. You can put a scratch inside the seal seating area if you are NOT careful!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

This type of tool works well. It's a seal puller, and it's available at most auto parts stores and Sears....

2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Can the seals be replaced without dismantling the forks ? New forks are here but not yet fitted to bike. I want to replace seals before fitting but I dont want to dismantle forks if I dont have to. Is it possible? or practical ? or sensible ?
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I don't know how you could replace the seals without at least pulling the tubes apart.I always completely disassemble them.After this many years,
          chances are that they have a bunch of gunk in the bottoms.It only takes
          about 3 hours to completely disassemble, clean, replace seals, reassemble
          , and refill.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I would'nt

Too much chance of nicking the tubes if it's possible. Agree with Tarzan. You would be
            better off completely cleaning them up.
            Last edited by jmnjrpa; 01-18-2010, 12:19 PM. Reason: typo
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I agree too; disassemble the forks to change the seals. Those seals are pressed in there pretty tight. When installing the new ones, make sure you use either a socket or a PVC fitting to drive them in squarely and not to damage them.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                Can the seals be replaced without dismantling the forks ? New forks are here but not yet fitted to bike. I want to replace seals before fitting but I dont want to dismantle forks if I dont have to. Is it possible? or practical ? or sensible ?
                Hi Brian,
                yes, it would be really good if it were only possible but it ain't.
                It's claimed you can remove the seal by REMOVING THE SEAL RETAINING CIRCLIP, filling the fork leg right to the top with oil, screwing the top plug back in then squeezing the fork together with a farm jack. The hydraulic pressure forces the seal out.
                As has been posted, it's better to dismantle the fork, there's 28 yearsworth of crud in there to be cleaned out.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok folks, i got the seal out of my first fork. Now i am really puzzled. I pulled the seal, then there was another piece similar to the seal fitted into a metal ring. It was thin, about 1/8". When i look at the breakdown in the manual, it calls for the seal, oil seal washer, and then a snap ring. There is no groove for a snap ring, just a lip it could fit under. What the H@@L do i have. The seals look right, but i damaged the spacer piece. If it doesn't seal at all, i could repair it, and reuse it. These forks are not the original, but supposedly came off a Special.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Sounds fishy to me.I think someone put in the wrong seals(standard)and they still leaked so they added another seal.Get the right seal for the special and put it back just like the diagram shows.Any time I have to seat a seal with a spring in it I pack the underside of the seal with grease before I drive it into place.I holds the spring in better.
                    T

PS fix the high rpm miss ! LOL
                    1980 special (Phyllis)
                    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                      Ok folks, i got the seal out of my first fork. Now i am really puzzled. I pulled the seal, then there was another piece similar to the seal fitted into a metal ring. It was thin, about 1/8". When i look at the breakdown in the manual, it calls for the seal, oil seal washer, and then a snap ring. There is no groove for a snap ring, just a lip it could fit under. What the H@@L do i have. The seals look right, but i damaged the spacer piece. If it doesn't seal at all, i could repair it, and reuse it. These forks are not the original, but supposedly came off a Special.
                      Yep, had that problem before. I got rid of that flimsy ring, installed the seal all the way down, put on the top washer. Then I noticed I had a gap between the top washer and the snap ring. I made a thin spacer out of PVC pipe the correct height, put in the snap ring, done. Some fork seal kits will give you an extra washer to put in the bottom in place of the flimsy ring IIRC. BTW, only Special forks have this problem, not the Standards. HTH
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Thanks guys. I was afraid of that. Now i need to order the washers, and snap rings. Hope they are still available. That's ok though, i would rather have it the way it is supposed to be. I suppose if there is a spacer i should get that too.
                        1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Hi XS1100 Newbie, sorry I didnt mean to hijack your thread.

Thanks Fred and others, I pretty much guessed that would be the case, but the question had to be asked.
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Not a problem B.Walker. This is a thread about forks, so i think anything goes about them.
                            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Brian,

What did you give for the forks? New? Just got a used set in (special) for $65 USD shipped. One is pitted but one on my bike is good so it will work out. Been looking for a good set 8+ months.
                              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                              Original except:
                              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                              X