No announcement yet.

Just a simple question on fork seal removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Cousin gave $200.00 for these, that included replacing the seals. If the yard that sold them, and replaced the seals had any integrity at all, they would not have sold them to him when they saw the pitted tubes. Maybe they just didn't know what they were doing. I have another set that he ordered that were wrong as well. They are chrome, and have a different caliper mount. I am wondering if they might be for a standard. I have to measure them out.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

If the axle bolts to the bottom center of the forks, those are Standard forks. Now the XJ forks look similar to the Specials, both with the leading axle, but use different calipers.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
        What did you give for the forks? New? Just got a used set in (special) for $65 USD shipped. One is pitted but one on my bike is good so it will work out. Been looking for a good set 8+ months.
        Second hand with hardly a scratch on them. Got them for the cost of shipping to NZ, which was $140USD, although I donated a few extra $$ for the vendors trouble.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Here is the pic of the other forks i have. The measurements i took are this: 32" from the center of bottom axle mount to top of fork. Exposed inner tube is 17 5/8". outer tube is 14 3/8" center of mount to shoulder where the dust seal mounts. Diameter of the inner tube is the same as the MNS forks. 37 MM I think i can use the inner tubes to replace my pitted ones, providing they are ok. Don't know if they are off a standard or not, but i may clean them up and sell them.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...b/P1190082.jpg
          Last edited by XS1100 Newbie; 01-19-2010, 06:28 PM.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Today is the day that my leakproof seals come in. Maybe i can get it back together to ride this weekend, baring any bad weather. I figure i will try the leakproof seals first, and if they don't work, i will see about using the tubes from the other forks.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
              Today is the day that my leakproof seals come in. Maybe i can get it back together to ride this weekend, baring any bad weather. I figure i will try the leakproof seals first, and if they don't work, i will see about using the tubes from the other forks.
              Hi Newbie,
              if the fork tubes are not completely free of nicks, deep scratches, lifting flakes of chrome, patches of rust etc.
              those leakproof seals will only be leakproof until the rough spots on the tubes eat them away.
              BTW, the lowers you posted a link to are off some kind of a Standard.
              Even if the tubes are the same diameter as the Special's tubes, recent posts to this list say that the Standard tubes' lower ends are different enough that the Special's lowers won't mount onto them.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X