how to tell battery polarity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to tell battery polarity?

I have a feeling that the POs have changed a lot of wirings to customize. I have a feeling that he(they) may have used a red wire for negative instead of black.

1) Is there a way to tell which battery cable is for positive/negative?

2) To be frank, I connected the battery thinking the red is for positive. But nothing happened. Is it possible that I fried something electrical - like relays? The fuse box is fresh and the battery is new and full.
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

The positive battery post should be connected to the lead that goes directly to the starter solenoid. The negative should be connected to the frame.

Comment

If it makes any difference, the negative (neutral) is on the left side of the bike, and the positive is on the right. When the battery is installed, the terminals should be on the rearward edge of the battery. The battery itself should be labeled with + and - to indicate polarity as well.

Never trust wire color to indicate polarity. You never know who did the wiring before you, and not everyone thinks about how the next guy is going to have to deal with whatever they just "fixed". As a test, you can set up a small fan (like the kind from a computer case) with loose leads on it. If you touch it to the wiring, and the fan pushes air like it is designed, polarity is correct. If it goes in reverse, polarity is backward.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

if you don't know on the battery, because of no markings, about the only way to tell is a LED. IIRC the long wire goes to positive, and it will only light in one direction.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

A digital volt meter will tell you by displaying a (-) symbol if it's hooked up backwards to the battery.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Methinks he's got other issues, like keyswitch or fuses. Even if the battery were hooked up backwards, idiot lights would light and starter would spin, although backwards. The TCI might not be happy and possibly the other 'black boxes' either, but SOMETHING should be happening.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The black cable certainly goes to the starter...It really looks like the PO used the wrong colors for wrong polarities. I will get a multimeter to be very sure. The $3 multimeter doesnt seems to be working...
              dontlikeoc
              1981 XS1100 Special Edition
              Alhambra, CA

Comment

As if the electrical on these bikes weren't unstable enough, now our batteries are bipolar....
                1978 XS1100
                "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Comment

Color doesn't mean a damn thing....

Comment

Get a new 9V. battery for the $3 meter! they put in a CHEAP battery, and they usually last about 2 hours of on time.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I had a "Buddy" try to help me jump start my bike once, and he hooked up the jumper cables backwards on the car side. I thought it may have fried something because it didn't do anything after that, but it just blew the main 30 amp fuse. Mine is under the seat, but it's an XJ, so I can't tell you where yours is... but that would be one of my first checks.

As for testing the battery... get a test light. They're probably about as costly as your $3 meter. Clamp one end to your battery post, then touch a ground. No light? Attach it to the other battery post and try again. If it lights, that's the positive side.

Tod
                      Last edited by trbig; 01-06-2010, 06:49 AM.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Randy,

"The starter may turn backwards"? Most starters that I have worked with are shunt wound and don't really care about polarity. Are these different??
                        The Old Tamer
                        1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Working...
                        X