Exhausting Exhaust studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhausting Exhaust studs

Well, my BRAND NEW (to me-thanks ebay!) 4>1 supertrapp finally came today!

so, out in the garage I was, pulling off the old system. 7 of the 8 bolts come off the head no problem. The LAST ONE decides its 'to good' to behave and it snaps about 1/16" into the head. I'm a little miffed, but fortunatly I've got a fairly well stocked garage with a complete set of EZ outs. I centerpunch the busted stud, drill my hole, and procede to break the STUPID EZ off in the hole!

oh, btw, of course this happens to be the one stud thats partially behind the downtube of the frame, so drilling a straight hole is sketchy at best.

so, out comes the next larger ezout and drill bit. I manage to get a hole drilled next to the busted one, which I promptly procede to break off the other ezout in!!! ARRRGH!!!

So, as I see it, I can try to borrow a carbide bit at work tommorow and try to drill out the ezouts, but if that doesnt work, is my only option to get a new cylinder head??

anyone else ever have this problem?

HELP! now none of my three bikes run!
    79ish suzuki rm250
    82 honda cb450sc
    78 honda cx500
    72 honda cb175
    78 yamaha xs11e

studs

I had 3 studs break off in my xj head, so i bought some 3/8 nc threaded rod at canadian tire and drilled out all the exhaust bolts and replaced them with 3/8 studs. I bought some nice chrome cap nuts to finish them off. My plates on my 4 into one are flat so it worked great and they are a lot stronger studs . ps. i put lock tight on everthing dont know if i shoulda . good luck took me 5 hrs .
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Similer event occured while I was trying to take the front quarter panel off my wifes jeep last night. For some reason regardless of what I work on there is always one bolt that breaks off or strips out.
      79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
      07 V-star 1100
      Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Forgot to mention

BTW i didnt remove the engine to drill the head i just unbolted it so i could move it enough to get past the down tubes hope this helps and good luck regards DOUG M
        Doug Mitchell
        82 XJ1100 sold
        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I feel your pain, been there many times. I would try a left hand drill bit if you still have room but its very important to get a straight run at it. If it ends up you have to pull the head then either purchase a helicoil kit (usually available at various parts stores) in the stud size you need or find a machine shop that can install one for you. Usually the cost is reasonable. A head replacement should not be required. Good luck, Craig

Comment

Another last resort suggestion: Weld a bolt onto the broken stud and twist it out with a wrench.
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
            1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
            2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
            1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
            2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

well, I pulled the head off and its over at the machine shop now... They're going to EDM it. Its a good thing ive got a good relationship with them-- thier doing the work for two of my mom's fresh apple pies

thats especially important considering i just ordered 100 dollars worth of gaskets to put everything back together
              79ish suzuki rm250
              82 honda cb450sc
              78 honda cx500
              72 honda cb175
              78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Working...
              X