Stripped brake bleeder screw 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped brake bleeder screw 911

Hi guys it's been awhile since i've posted. Hope everyone is having a good December. Just moved down south to Torrance. I finaly got some time to myself and tried to take the bike out for a spin, but my brakes pretty much locked. They've been spongy before the move, but are now so tight that i cannot even push the bike around in neutral. I just tried to bleed the brakes and replace the fluid, but i have amanaged to halway strip the right side bleeder. The left side feels like it will strip to if i keep forcing it. I am doing lefty loosy and righty tighty. Any tips, thoughts, questions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    1978 XS1100E Standard
    Kerker Exhaust
    Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
    TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
    Mike's XS Pod FIlters

PB Blaster...IS the threads stripping or your rounding off the hex head part of the bleeder?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

When I bled my brakes for the first time, I thought they were going to strip on me, and I was almost ready to try the air impact on them, but as the last try before that I took the 6 point socket I was going to use with the impact wrench and put in on my torque wrench and did a reverse torque and they popped loose. Part of the secret is getting the best fit with a socket or box end wrench that you can, and you NEED 6 point or it will round them off.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It's the hex edges. They almost all gone now on that left side.
        1978 XS1100E Standard
        Kerker Exhaust
        Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
        Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Yup, what cy said. A good tight fitting 6 point is the ticket.

Also try tapping on the top of the bleeder screw with a small hammer before you try to turn it, or while you trying if you have a 6 point box end wrench.

You can also tap on the side of the caliper where the bleeder goes in while trying to turn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Korr View Post
            It's the hex edges. They almost all gone now on that left side.
            If it get's too rounded, take the caliper off and clamp the BLEEDER SCREW tightly in a vise and then turn the caliper, unscrew the caliper from the bleeder.

I've had to do that a few times with auto calipers.

Comment

Thankyou for that injection of common sense. Brakes work good now
              1978 XS1100E Standard
              Kerker Exhaust
              Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
              Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

FWIW, unlike my Hondas, the bleeder screws on an XS11 are a pretty common metric size and pitch. I got replacements at Auto Zone for like a buck each.

Patrick
                The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                1969 Yamaha DT1B
                Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                  FWIW, unlike my Hondas, the bleeder screws on an XS11 are a pretty common metric size and pitch. I got replacements at Auto Zone for like a buck each.

Patrick
                  Good to know... My local Yamastealer wanted over $11 EACH for those things!
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X