Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picture Intensive Diag. of Transmission......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture Intensive Diag. of Transmission......

I guess I just put off the fix on the 2 gear too long that now it finally bit me in the @$$. On friday after work, I deposited my check at the bank and headed home. Did not get 1 block before my tranny got stuck in neutral and when i almost came to a stop it started making a grinding noise. Found out one problem so far.....

First of all here is a pic of my bike for those.... pretty much everyone who has not seen a finished product

ok so the shifter shaft doohickie came out.... and it would not shift into another gear....

This is what it is not supposed to do.... Notice about the center of the picture there is a shaft showing.... not supposed to when i pull off the cover

Look in the middle of the cover and see where it had been rubbing

Now when I pulled the clutch off a little gear fell down.....

Not good.... everything on the doner engine looks to be good

the bad thing is i found metal shavings, 2 washers, and a circlip in my pan
    ALSO look at my header....

Lots and lots of work to do this week.... LOTS

more pictures to come tommorow
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Yep, I have come to believe this is a standard reaction to folks trying to hold the thing in gear by standing on the shift lever when the problem develops of it slipping out. I have seen three like this so far, my project bike being one of them. The pressure of the shift forks trying to move to let the gear shift on the countershaft must push so hard it pops the C-clip off the end of the shaft that hold sht eoil pump drive gear on. Sending the C-clip and the washer to the bottom of the oil pan.

Fortunately for me and sounds like for you, the oil pump drive gear (the one your were pointing to) did not get eaten by the clutch gears it is supposed to mesh with. If you look in that picture and then the back of the clutch basket, on the back of the basket are two gears one much bigger than the other and it is set deeper on the basket than the smaller one. That larger gear in the upper right of your pic is on the end of the primary driven shaft that gets turned by the engine via the primary chain. So when the engine turns so does that gear and it then turns the outer basket of the clutch which drives the oil pump drive gear and therefore the oil pump.

You may also find that some of those metal flakes came from the shift forks which may be eaten up from the same stupid manauver.

Dont you just hate POs.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

The strange part about that little gear is that when it fell off, the circlip stayed there. There was another circlip that was in the pan along with 2 other washers???? kinda strange, but will take out the gears on both the donor engine and mine today. probably going to swap everything out, but undercut everything first

Oh and I finally got the shifter shaft back in enough to put it in 4th gear for when I take out the gears tonight!
      Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
      XJ maxim rear air shocks
      KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
      Pod Filters

Money pit.......
      BLACKED OUT

Comment

That shaft you show that moved is what your shift forks are on. I'm not going to speculate on why the clips came off (Like maybe you forgot or something.. )the shaft by that gear, but that shaft has a notch in it due to tight clearances from the gears. I THINK that the grinding you heard is going to be that shaft that got chewed on a bit by the middle drive/ drive gear gear when it slid past the notch. There's nothing that would have pulled your shift forks.. they just slide on that shaft... so my bet is that there's nothing wrong with the gears, forks, or motor.. and that you can PROBABLY just put the clips back on the rod and go as long as the gear didn't eat into the slot where the first C-clip goes.

I would try it anyway.. certainly a lot easier to fix and try first than swapping motors or splitting cases. Change the oil to get most of the shavings out and try it?

The bike looks a lot better with a motor than a one person motor behind it pushing! lol. BUT... all that money spent on the bike... put a few bucks aside and get a decent camera, will ya!??

Tod

PS... there's a clip that goes on the back side of that gear next to the case.
        Last edited by trbig; 12-14-2009, 07:17 AM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

OK.. Belay that pre-caffienated suggestion. That rod that slipped that your forks are on has a dowel pin on the clutch side that fits into a notch on your engine case. For it to have slid to that side of th emotor, the dowel pin is gone/broke. You'd have to pull it out to replace that pin and you'll have to have the oil pan off to put it back in. You can inspect that rod and see if it it's worth saving or not.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Upon Further dissasembly, the transmission soesn not look that bad. One gear already has an undercut to it. The fifth gear is the only one that looks a little bad, and really does not look bad? Ill get some pictures up today hopefully.

My second gear was the one that had been slipping. Is that the gear all the way to the left????
            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
            XJ maxim rear air shocks
            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
            BLACKED OUT

Comment

Sheesh Young-uns....He knows which one is fifth but not which one is second?

The gear with the slots in it that fifth gear slides into is second gear. They actually need to mesh together for you to be in second gear. So the dogs on fifth that look kind of bad, they contribute to the second gear issue on these bikes. Second gear is held onto the countershaft by a c-clip which is a PITA to get off.

The gears on the countershaft, in order from left side of the engine to right are, fifth, second, third, fourth, first, middle driven gear. Fifth and fourth are the gears that actually slide back and forth by the shift forks when you shift gears. The others stay put through lock washers and shoulders on the countershaft. Fourth gear actually locks into both first AND third.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

update

FINALLY got to get out in the garage today and work on the tranny a little. Had to get another T-30 torx bit cause i twisted my other one.

WELL, the transmission out of the donor engine is good. The second, fifth gear was ALREADY undercut. When I pulled this engine, the ODO said 2706.... WHATS THE DEAL?!!? Did I just get lucky or what??!?!?

Going to clean off all the goop that is on the gears at work tomorrow.

Forgot to tell yall that the oil cap was off the bike the whole time it was outside so when i was pulling the engine, i drained the "oil" on the ground there.... I mean the 2 gallons of water and sludge. It was BAD. But anyways ill get it in tomorrow.
                Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                XJ maxim rear air shocks
                KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                BLACKED OUT

Comment

Finally!

After multiple hours of goofing around and chatting with friends... SHE LIVES!

got everything buttoned up the past couple days, but i was also cleaning as I go. Also got my saddle bags and tank bag installed and turn signals moved. Second gear handles like a dream. Im heading to louisiana tomorrow on the bike so thats gunna be the real test

Pictures will bee soon... just need to get a fancy camera that is better than my crappy cell.
                  Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                  XJ maxim rear air shocks
                  KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                  Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                  BLACKED OUT

Comment

Glad to hear you got it resolved, and are hitting the road with it.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                    X