Dot 5 (Silicone) brake fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dot 5 (Silicone) brake fluid?

Does anyone have pros/cons to using Dot 5 brake fluid in the 11's?
    I was told not to do it because it COULD cause a problem in the old aluminum brake calipers.
    I changed the rear fluid to Dot 5 and after about 300 miles, while on a ride, the caliper would not release, thus overheating and locking up. After it cooled off (?) it loosened up and I rode it back home without using the rear brake. Putting it on the center stand, turning the wheel by hand and pressing the lever it seemed to work normaly. Then I kept some pressure on the lever and it went down like the pedal would in a car when your master cilinder goes bad.
    Any ideas? Think it has something to do with the Dot 5 or just a coincidence?
    79 XS1100F.
    SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
    TC's fuse box.
    SOFA filter.
    Venture cam chain adjuster.
    Tkat fork brace.
    Progressive fork springs.

I use dot 5.It supercedes the older stuff and it is the only grade available here.
    I would bet you need to disassemble and clean calipers and masters.
    As far losing pedal,that is probably like you thought, the master needs a rebuild.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

DOT 5 is not compatible with DOT 3. The complete system needs to be disassembled and cleaned of all traces of DOT 3 (including the inside of the brake hose(s) ).
      Even then vintage parts, like NOS hoses and rebuild kits, may react negatively to DOT 5.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
        Does anyone have pros/cons to using Dot 5 brake fluid in the 11's?
        I was told not to do it because it COULD cause a problem in the old aluminum brake calipers.
        I changed the rear fluid to Dot 5 and after about 300 miles, while on a ride, the caliper would not release, thus overheating and locking up. After it cooled off (?) it loosened up and I rode it back home without using the rear brake. Putting it on the center stand, turning the wheel by hand and pressing the lever it seemed to work normaly. Then I kept some pressure on the lever and it went down like the pedal would in a car when your master cilinder goes bad.
        Any ideas? Think it has something to do with the Dot 5 or just a coincidence?
        This might be interesting reading for you Tropic-al..........

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html

Comment

My bad !!!

Thanks Tarzan.
          Just FYI, dot 5.1 is not silicone based, so its safe to use. Dot 5 is, and apparently it is what causes the problem.

Thanks Pat.
          I definitely did not do a thorough cleaning of all the dot 3 fluid like you mentioned. I should have heeded the warning about it possibly affecting the aluminum calipers.
          I guess a rebuild of M/C and caliper is in order. For sure I'll use dot 3 or 4.
          79 XS1100F.
          TC's fuse box.
          SOFA filter.
          Tkat fork brace.

Comment

There is an article in either the tech tips or the FAQ about the isue of DOT 5 and DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids. The issue appears to be more of combining the two types of fluid. Like PAT stated, the two fluids will not play nice together so you need to get all of the old out before adding the new.

I am no expert and certainly do not know for sure, but I doubt there is any issue with the fluid and the metals involved. The rubber even seems unlikely to be an issue. JMHO
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

You should be sweet in flushing the system out with
              dot 3, i doubt you would need to rebuild the calipers or m/c,
              the fluids dont mix together, but it shouldnt effect
              any of the rubbers.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Thanks XSokie

Enlightening article.
                Another learning experience!!
                79 XS1100F.
                TC's fuse box.
                SOFA filter.
                Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
                  Enlightening article.
                  Another learning experience!!
                  Welcome....... bottom line is standard dot 3/4 fluid is really all you need. The dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point but is not neccesary in our application.

Just flush it every couple of years. Your hydraulics will last virtually forever.

Dot 5 if you run NASCAR and want to replace it A LOT!

Postal vehicles used to run dot 5 because of thier stop and go life but it was changed at regular intervals.

Your tax dollars at work. Not to mention the price of stamps.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                    Welcome....... bottom line is standard dot 3/4 fluid is really all you need. The dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point but is not neccesary in our application.
                    I'm not sure, I have DOT 4 in mine, and when the temps are over 115 in situations with lots of stop and go the brakes will go spongy on me.

Just flush it every couple of years. Your hydraulics will last virtually forever.
                    I'm not so sure about that. After reading the owners manual this week, Yamaha says all seals should be replaced at least every 2 years, and the flexible lines should be replaced at least every 4 years. I know that they seem to be doing ok (no leaks and all) but then I suspect mine was bled regularly, but according to the schedule all the seals should have been replace 14 times by now and the flex lines 7 times, and I'm pretty sure that at least the flexible lines are the originals, I plan on doing something about that before summer gets here, and since I run sintered pads, I'll probably go with DOT 5.1 for the higher boiling point.

Dot 5 if you run NASCAR and want to replace it A LOT!

Postal vehicles used to run dot 5 because of thier stop and go life but it was changed at regular intervals.

Your tax dollars at work. Not to mention the price of stamps.
                    Have spent 7 years in the Army I'm not only not surprised, I'm almost shocked that they didn't replace the entire brake system each time they did it.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

This is what it looks like when you mix Dot 5 and Dot 3. I mixed in more Dot 3 and it went back to fluid state for a while. I did not get around to changing the brake system yet and now it is looking sorta like pudding.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                        I'm not sure, I have DOT 4 in mine, and when the temps are over 115 in situations with lots of stop and go the brakes will go spongy on me.
                        I don't think that will be because of brake fluid boil cy. Most likely some runout in the rotor due to heat, pushing the piston back in a little further than usual. That rotor would pretty much have to be glowing red to boil the brake fluid in that extremely well ventilated caliper.

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                        I'm not so sure about that. After reading the owners manual this week, Yamaha says all seals should be replaced at least every 2 years, and the flexible lines should be replaced at least every 4 years. I know that they seem to be doing ok (no leaks and all) but then I suspect mine was bled regularly, but according to the schedule all the seals should have been replace 14 times by now and the flex lines 7 times, and I'm pretty sure that at least the flexible lines are the originals, I plan on doing something about that before summer gets here, and since I run sintered pads, I'll probably go with DOT 5.1 for the higher boiling point.
                        I'm sure Yamaha enjoyed selling parts. Henry Ford did too.

That is why he sold the Model T so cheap. He knew he would make his money back on parts.

Truth is motocycle brake parts are no more susceptible to damage than automobile brake parts.

IF they are properly maintained.

Dot 5.1 is unquestionably superior to dot 3/4 as far as temp. goes but IMHO unnessesary.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                          This is what it looks like when you mix Dot 5 and Dot 3. I mixed in more Dot 3 and it went back to fluid state for a while. I did not get around to changing the brake system yet and now it is looking sorta like pudding.
                          OOPS!!!!

Comment

OOPS!!!!
                            I did not do it but yup thats an oops. Kinda interesting to watch it change over the weeks. Once I get new S/S brake lines for that bike I will be rebuilding everything from brake handle to speed bleeders. Still have to finish up the 78E I have apart first as well so I will get to see more changes. I have left the lid loose so it changes more rapidly.
                            Last edited by Rasputin; 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Brake fluid is rated by boiling it's point, the higher the boiling point the higher the number, but also the higher the boiling point the quicker it will absorb moisture. That is why it is usually reserved for hard use applications.
                              Fastmover
                              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                              lion". SHL
                              78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                              X