No announcement yet.

FJ1100 fork conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a note: This mod is more for performance and looks. You will lose the plushness and washy handling of the stock fork units, Here's the bike how it looks now...

Last edited by bikerphil; 03-29-2010, 06:42 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Sweet update about the emulators Phill. I joined the FJ site and started inquiring about the earlier gen forks and told them what I was up to. I was told I should go with the new forks for better breaking and a bigger front wheel...yadayadayada. I had to explain that I wanted retain the stock look but upgrade the handeling and keep it low budget. Im going to keep looking for a set of forks but in the mean time I found a whole 85 FJ for sale for $400 out in Buffalo NY. If I had a garage I would already own that bike but would probably still be looking for a set of forks if you catch my drift.

P.S. Nice seat, I want one. I sat on my buds 79F that had the same seat and it felt so right.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Phil, just how big are those forks? 39mm? Bigger? I'm sure that's a large part of the improvement...

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          These fork tubes are 41MM diameter, and are further apart from each other in the triple trees. Stock XS forks are 37mm, but I'm sure you know that. The fork angle is the same or just slightly less than stock. The fork legs have to be bored out to 17mm to retain the stock wheel. The FJ fork uses a 15mm axle. A 15X47X14 wheel bearing does exist, but is rare and hard to get. I'll have some more pics shortly.
          Posted earlier in response to a similar question by myself
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            ...Now I'm having problems with the damping circuit on one fork, so I have to build a tool to dismantle them next.
            I'm getting very, very tempted by this....

A couple of questions:

What sort of tool did you have to build to get the forks apart? And just how much shorter are the FJ forks compared to the XS units? How much lower does the front of the bike sit? I'd really like to retain the stock height if I can.

Thanks!

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              What sort of tool did you have to build to get the forks apart? And just how much shorter are the FJ forks compared to the XS units? How much lower does the front of the bike sit? I'd really like to retain the stock height if I can.
              Ok, the FJ forks are 32" from axle center to top of fork tube. The old forks I took of my F are also 32". With the clip-on's, the upper tubes must protrude at least 1.5" above the upper triple tree. If you do the mod like I did, by using the FJ lower TT and stem, the upper TT will be raised an additional 7/8" which means 7/8" of ride height loss. If you press the XS stem out of the stock lower TT, and press it in the FJ's, you won't lose that 7/8" of height. Also the way these forks work, they don't need as much travel as the XS forks (I think I mentioned this before). I'd say mine use max 2 1/2" of overall travel. That also depends on what springs you use.

As for the tool, it's the same deal as the XS tool, but you need a 27MM bolt head to hold the damper tube. The bottom allen socket is 10MM. I also have modified my rebound damping adjusters to 6 position, instead of the stock 3 position.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

This is looking better all the time; I might have a line on a complete set of FJ forks....
                Hmmmm

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Yeah, they're well built forks. I particularly like that the bushings (still available) come out the way they are supposed to. They aren't pressed in like the XS . You'll have fun doing this mod, it was a blast for me. The upper and lower TT bearings are the same as the XS.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Hey Phil you've created a fantastic mod I just had to pick up a set of 86FJ1200 forks now I am out $19.95 thanks haha! All kidding aside have you completed the emulator mod to these forks yet? If so was it worth the extra work?
                    BDF Special
                    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
                    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
                      have you completed the emulator mod to these forks yet? If so was it worth the extra work?
                      Yep, I've been riding it with the emulators for about a week now, and it's great to be able to tweak the compression damping circuit easily without disassembling the entire fork. She's running a little stiff right now, running 1.0kg/mm springs, I'm waiting for Rich at Sonic to send me some .90's. Gonna see which ones work better. BTW, an aditional mod would have to be made to the emulator set up (haven't tried it) to use them with factory or Progressive springs, as those springs are both a bit larger in diameter.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 03-31-2010, 04:36 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Ok, with any luck I'll be picking up two pairs of FJ forks tomorrow, so I should be not too far behind you Phil. Anything that can make the front of these bikes be more securely planted is a good thing. You also mentioned you used a Ninja front axle; what year/model should I be looking for here? I'll assume that some axle spacers of some kind may be needed, are yours custom, or did you find something off-the-shelf? I can duplicate whtever you used, so dimensions would be great. And just out of curiosity, did the OEM ignition switch fit the top tree?

I'm not going to follow completely in your footsteps... I am going to retain the stock bars, so a set of custom risers are probably in my future. I've also got a set of larger 39mm emulators, so these may be an easier install than your 'adapted' 37mm versions.

And just when I thought I was almost ready to put the XS back together...

'78E original owner
                        Last edited by crazy steve; 03-31-2010, 11:22 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          you used a Ninja front axle; what year/model should I be looking for here? I'll assume that some axle spacers of some kind may be needed, are yours custom, or did you find something off-the-shelf? I can duplicate whtever you used, so dimensions would be great. And just out of curiosity, did the OEM ignition switch fit the top tree?
                          Ok, the axle I used is a REAR Ninja 250 axle, '02 IIRC. This axle is going to be a little too long, I just put the center piece of an old XS wheel bearing under the castle nut to move the castle nut out a bit. Your best bet is to go to motorcycle salvage and look thru their box of axles for a suitable 17MM axle. As for the axle spacers, I have no custom spacers, although I wish I did. I went to my local Ace Hardware/Motorcycle Axle Spacers store and picked up a handful of 17MM ID washers. I have 5 on the speedo hub side, and 3 on the right side, including the original XS wheel spacer. Best way to figure it out is center the wheel and see what you need on each side. Yes, the easiest part of the mod is the ignition switch, plug 'n play. Which TT stem are you using, Steve?
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

So why didn't you go with an FJ1200 front end conversion? Here's a picture of my XS with an 88-90 FJ12 front end, with 17inch wheel and four pot calipers. It is great to ride i can tell you. I can't see your point of the old XS wheel and piss poor single pot calipers, when you could have gone for a much better upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ111200 View Post
                              So why didn't you go with an FJ1200 front end conversion? Here's a picture of my XS with an 88-90 FJ12 front end, with 17inch wheel and four pot calipers. It is great to ride i can tell you. I can't see your point of the old XS wheel and piss poor single pot calipers, when you could have gone for a much better upgrade.
                              My guess is he wants to retain the stock look but gets the ridigity of the newer forks and better handling. Personally, Im not trying to rebuild/mod this bike to make it competitive against anything. I like my bike exactly the way it is but if I can get a slightly better improvement in the front end for cheap then and keep all the looks then Im cool with that. Workin on my bike is just a hoby anyways, if I wanted to build my own xsessively modified XS sport bike then I would start from the frame out and follow somethig like this... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25765
                              Your bike looks nice but Im not a fan of that fender and tire, I just dont think it compliments the retro look of the rest of the bike. Its all about the individual and what they like right? Same concept about chopping and hardtailing these bikes.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The fender was just one i had lying in the garage with a load of other FJ bits. It was the one that was least shagged. I'll spray it black one day soon.
                                I can take your point about keeping with the original looks, but really, those original brakes are rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                                X