fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
    Should have ordered the forkin oil when you ordered the forkin seals!!
    Yup, I guess I forked up.

he he he!

Comment

I think the yamaha dealer here was about 6.95 a bottle, got two cause one wasnt quite enough. Lifetime seals aquired and still yet to do it. Let me know how it forkin goes.

BTW you have to many of these ( ) [ ] in your sig.
      Last edited by Elevener; 11-28-2009, 11:09 PM.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I bought a quart of fork oil today at the local shop to assemble the forks for the Xs850 I am working on.
        I figure I'll get two since I will be doing another one soon.And I have another after that I won't get to for a while.I get up to the counter to find out they want $12.50 a quart.WTF?
        Uuuuhhhhh......I'll just take one.
        I think I can find it cheaper than that.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
          BTW you have to many of these ( ) [ ] in your sig.
          LOL so what are saying- too forkin' loud?

Comment

I found this

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Fork-Oil.aspx

Comment

Hey, Greg...
              I seem to recall there was another forken thread about this very discussion not too long ago... TC had some input about the oil choice to use... and I believe his suggestion was fork oil only, gave the recommended weight, and reasons why...
              Might do a forken thread check... before you forken go too far...

Hate to see ya get it all forked up and break yer forken neck in a wreck...
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Sorry XJOk2Play,

But what I had posted was in my Momentary Lapse of Reason thread, about using Castrol Synth Blend Dexron ATF as an economical substitute for real fork oil. IT's weight was very close to the 10wt fork oil, and being tranny fluid it does have antifoaming/bubbling properties. We used it for a fellow that I was helping to get his machine road worthy who didn't have much $$ to spend on it. Tranny fluid lasts 10's of thousands of miles, under I believe much more stresses than our forks provide, DiverRay who is a Certified Mechanic uses it in his machines, so it seemed good enough for me.
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Sorry XJOk2Play,

But what I had posted was in my Momentary Lapse of Reason thread, about using Castrol Synth Blend Dexron ATF as an economical substitute for real fork oil. IT's weight was very close to the 10wt fork oil, and being tranny fluid it does have antifoaming/bubbling properties. We used it for a fellow that I was helping to get his machine road worthy who didn't have much $$ to spend on it. Tranny fluid lasts 10's of thousands of miles, under I believe much more stresses than our forks provide, DiverRay who is a Certified Mechanic uses it in his machines, so it seemed good enough for me.
                  T.C.
                  So TC, The synth. trans fluid is OK? I've got a 55 gallon drum of it at the shop.

We use this stuff in EVERYTHING and haven't had any problems. Very high quality. We get it from PetroCanada.

Comment

No problem, TC... I was pretty sure I was recalling that thread correctly...

These days, though... you have to watch me! The old mind may be a steel trap, but there's gettin' to be plenty of rust on the bars...
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                      The old mind may be a steel trap, but there's gettin' to be plenty of rust on the bars...
                      Hey Bob,

Hard headed huh?

So ya think the syn. trans. fluid will be ok in my forkin' forks?

Comment

Cycle gear at 41st & Shridan is open 7 days a week I believe, pretty sure Ron's on Pine is open a little on Sun, for sure Mon-Fri, and Cycle supply off 169 and Pine is open quite a bit also. All have good fork oil selection and can probably get the seals for you also. Ron's and Cycle gear run pretty close to internet prices.
                        79 XS11 special

Comment

Hmmmmmm....why not 10W hydraulic oil?? like what is used in farm tractors?
                          '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                          Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                          4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                          Windjammer(wiring issues)
                          SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                          New paint/brakes to come!!
                          ===============
                          '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                          ===============
                          '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                          Stock Pilots/125 mains
                          Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                          SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                          LED Brake Lite
                          Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
                            Hmmmmmm....why not 10W hydraulic oil?? like what is used in farm tractors?
                            You mean that stuff you pick up at Tractor Supply in a 5 gallon bucket that costs about $20 for the whole 5 gallons? No way, if you did that then the fork oil suppliers might run out of it to pour in their quart bottles and charge $20. Lets see that's 20 quarts, so a 2000% profit. You wouldn't want to deny those poor guys that money would you? They have kids to put through Ivy League schools and a couple Mercedes payments to make.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                            X