fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork oil

My right side fork has been leaking a little for about a year. Now it's spitting oil all over the caliper, the engine, and the tank.

Y'all think it's time to fix it?

Anyway, do I have to use the " fork oil " or is there something else I can get at an auto parts store that will work just as well?

Some people use auto transmission fluid.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Fork oil

You may want to consider fixing it unless you you think that the caliper that's getting"oiled" is not needed, ya think??
      Fork oil produces less foaming than regular oil or xmission fluid and at about $8/qt is not too bad. You should get about 2 oil changes out of it.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
        You may want to consider fixing it unless you you think that the caliper that's getting"oiled" is not needed, ya think??
        Fork oil produces less foaming than regular oil or xmission fluid and at about $8/qt is not too bad. You should get about 2 oil changes out of it.
        Brakes don't squeak.

Comment

Yeah I dont think I would fix that myself. Makes no sense to fix something broke at all. ...an if yer concerned about the price of a half quart of oil, I dont think these bikes are right for you...but I digress, I know a few people that use auto trans and such but they seem to disagree on what to use so I am no help at all.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
            Yeah I dont think I would fix that myself. Makes no sense to fix something broke at all. ...an if yer concerned about the price of a half quart of oil, I dont think these bikes are right for you...but I digress, I know a few people that use auto trans and such but they seem to disagree on what to use so I am no help at all.
            Yup, I see what your sayin'.eh?

Well, tomorrow is sunday I think and the Yamaha dealer, or any cycle shop I know of is closed. Since I have to work for a living, it is a bit difficult to get away sometimes.

So, I'll be askin' the question. eh?

I do appreciate your input though.

Comment

Oil cooled brakes

I like my oil cooled brakes!!!!!

it's only on 1 side anyway.....

i'd say fork oil, just because of diferent additives that are used in oil.

price isn't horible, it's just not great. i picked mine up for $13/Qt.

The reason you need to do the fix is because leaking fork seals will kill you if you ride like me. every sweeper i roll out of you can see and feel the front end shaking and wobbling. It's hair raising to say the least.

the funny part is.... it still didn't slow me down much.

Yes i'll be fixing it this winter, New Seals, New Oil, New Fork Brace!! Woo-Hoo!

Keep'er between the ditches Gents!!
              Webs
              1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Yes,

You can use tranny fluid in a fork, but it tends to be lower viscosity than the 10W recommended by Yamaha. But I would ask at the auto parts store for fork oil, many of them carry it. Autozone and Advance come to mind and they are easier to get to than the dealerships and usually have lower price.
                Regards,
                Scott
                I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Originally posted by MindWebs View Post
                  I like my oil cooled brakes!!!!!

it's only on 1 side anyway.....

i'd say fork oil, just because of diferent additives that are used in oil.

price isn't horible, it's just not great. i picked mine up for $13/Qt.

The reason you need to do the fix is because leaking fork seals will kill you if you ride like me. every sweeper i roll out of you can see and feel the front end shaking and wobbling. It's hair raising to say the least.

the funny part is.... it still didn't slow me down much.

Yes i'll be fixing it this winter, New Seals, New Oil, New Fork Brace!! Woo-Hoo!

Keep'er between the ditches Gents!!
                  Webs
                  It really hasn't slowed me down either. The front end is just getting REAL mushy, and it looks like hell with oil leaking all over like that.

Trans fluid is designed to be anti foaming, it goes through a lot more abuse than fork oil does. But, it is VERY high detergent and that worries me a little.

Originally posted by RS Thornton View Post
                  Yes,

You can use tranny fluid in a fork, but it tends to be lower viscosity than the 10W recommended by Yamaha. But I would ask at the auto parts store for fork oil, many of them carry it. Autozone and Advance come to mind and they are easier to get to than the dealerships and usually have lower price.
                  Regards,
                  Scott
                  I've only had the chance so far to check with O'Rielly but I'll check with AZ and Advanced tomorrow.

Thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                    My right side fork has been leaking a little for about a year. Now it's spitting oil all over the caliper, the engine, and the tank.

Y'all think it's time to fix it?

Anyway, do I have to use the " fork oil " or is there something else I can get at an auto parts store that will work just as well?

Been "leakin a little for about a year" is pretty much a sign that it aint that important this weekend. Maybe get the right stuff on monday and fix it properly next weekend.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                      Been "leakin a little for about a year" is pretty much a sign that it aint that important this weekend. Maybe get the right stuff on monday and fix it properly next weekend.
                      Yea, your probably right. I'll check these other other parts houses tomorrow but it will probably be a waiter.

I was just curious.

Comment

I don't think you should listen to these forken people and just fix the forken thing.Order some forken fork seals off the forken internet or the forken Yamaha dealer and rebuild the forken things.Once you fix the forken forks with the new forken seals ad the forken oil of your choice pump some air into the forken things then take the forken thing out for a forken test drive.But that's just my foken opinion.

Terry
                        1980 special (Phyllis)
                        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                          I don't think you should listen to these forken people and just fix the forken thing.Order some forken fork seals off the forken internet or the forken Yamaha dealer and rebuild the forken things.Once you fix the forken forks with the new forken seals ad the forken oil of your choice pump some air into the forken things then take the forken thing out for a forken test drive.But that's just my foken opinion.

Terry
                          Ya know tw I think your forkin' right! I've already GOT the forkin' seals and I'm ready to git-er forkin' done.

I just don't want it to be all forked up when I'm done.

He he--- this is just FORKIN' FUN!

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                            Ya know tw I think your forkin' right! I've already GOT the forkin' seals and I'm ready to git-er forkin' done.

I just don't want it to be all forked up when I'm done.

He he--- this is just FORKIN' FUN!
                            forken'a right
                            1980 special (Phyllis)
                            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Should have ordered the forkin oil when you ordered the forkin seals!!
                              Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
                              X