Air cooled question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kirmit77 View Post
    Really wish there was a law about that. I usually do it to get off and stay on the feeter road
    CA allows lane splitting for exactly that reason. It was really needed down in the LA area in the summer for the air cooled CHP bikes. And of course I NEVER see CHP bikes stopped in traffic jams, they are always splitting.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You can't compare lawnmower engines to motorcycle engines, because lawnmower engines have a fan vanes built into their flywheels, to force air through their fins and motorcycle engines don't.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

I'm in South Africa. Think that if it can handle the heat over here, it will handle the heat over there. I must however add that I have a oil cooler fitted. I am looking at an electric fan with a sensor connected to my oil line, but sofar doesn't seem necessary. December is the warmest month of our year, and might look at a sensor and electric fan if it is necessary, but at the moment I have never gotten an overheat ping from the motor.

Just for interest, in South Africa, if you are driving a bike you are allowed to pass between the vehicles going slower than 60kph on the freeway. You are also allowed to use the emergency lane during peak traffic when safe to do so.

It's a lot faster to get to work and back with a motorbike since there is no traffic jams for you as a biker.

This law is mainly passed as a safety measure for bikers. The last thing they want is a biker trapped under a truck and the emergency staff cannot get to him / her because of heavy traffic.
        '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
        1196 Big Bore
        4-1 Cowley exhaust
        750FD Conversion
        Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
        Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
        BMX footpegs
        Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
        GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
        Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Heat=Get out of the kitchen!!

If there were a poll here for members to fess up whether or not they had seized up their motorcycle’s air cooled engine by “riding” in stop-n-go city traffic…..I’d have to answer, “Yes. I did.” Not got it so hot that it quit but really had it seize up where the piston rings were stuck to the cylinders. (Kick start was a no-go until it cooled down…)

The bike was a Kaw 500 three cylinder 2-stroke which I used for commuting to and from work. The place was Tucson, Arizona where riding on the blacktop was like riding inside an oven: 100+ ambient air temp in the shade. The two stroke had a power stroke on every revolution and the center cylinder was the weakest link cause it got the heat from the other two with little way to radiate it out/away.

Point is that I was aware of this bad situation of a bike which needed air flowing over the engine to cool it down and the problems of stop-n-go traffic. I did everything I could to prevent the overheating: taking alternate routes when I could, turning the bike off when I knew that I had to wait extended periods, etc. I even have the citations to prove it. (The local judge was not moved when I explained why I turned into a parking lot and drove through it in order to keep “airflow”. Guilty of avoiding a traffic light---pay your fine at the window…Next case on the docket, Mr. Baliff??)

With these experiences on another bike, I am not about to play a game where there is no way to win. I like my Xs1100 Special. A lot!! When I was in Tucson this year in June I did have to travel through city traffic to get to the roads I wanted to ride. But even though I timed it so that I wouldn’t have to deal with the commuter crowds, there were times when I still had to wait for longer than I felt was safe for the motor. I did turn off the engine and restarted it a few times when the situation called for it. But then I never took that same route again.

I like my bike. More accurately, I like my superbike. I just can’t see myself agreeing to put my superbike in stop-n-go traffic along smug hybrids with cooling systems equipped for the urban crawl. There’s something wrong with that picture IMHO.

“I don’t think so….Homey don’t play that.” Homey D. Clown

I’ve got a sock with a bar of soap inside it and I’m not afraid to use it…

Comment

Having also owned a H1 and ridden it in a high temps with no problems, I'd have to say your problem was probably with the center cylinder oil injection jet which injects oil into the gas as it enters the cylinders, or a carb set too lean. a lot of guys used to set the mixture too lean to improve their terrible gas mileage, and those engines really needed to run rich to help cool the engine with the evaperation of the extra gas. The best I ever got was 39 mpg and after I hopped it up it dropped down into the teens.
            Fastmover
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

Early 1980's in Phoenix. Had a neighbor that worked at a used car lot. They took-in a bike in trade (don't remember the make/model). He was going to buy the bike. He started it and was just listening to it run. The boss called him to do and errand. He didn't shut the bike off and it idled for about 3 hours. It got so hot the valve cover turned blue. Bike still ran fine.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

When I first got my bike, it was really hard starting.. and I didn't even THINK about cooling the motor being a problem. I went to a buddy's house to talk to him and left the bike idling outside. We got to BSing, a beer was offered.. then another, and the bike running was forgotten. After at least an hour to an hour and a half, I remembered and went out and shut it off. Nothing seemed incredibly hot.. but it wasn't summertime either. I didn't have any immediate problems... BUT.. that was my first motor that spun a crank bearing later on.. lol. Who knows.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"If there were a poll here for members to fess up whether or not they had seized up their motorcycle’s air cooled engine by “riding” in stop-n-go city traffic…..I’d have to answer, “Yes. I did.” Not got it so hot that it quit but really had it seize up where the piston rings were stuck to the cylinders. (Kick start was a no-go until it cooled down…)"

That isn't the rings sticking to the cylinders.

The pistons swell until they sieze in the bores.

I did that twice, on my A100 Suzuki. Siezed the engine solid. Had to push it the 1/2 block home, went in, had lunch, put injection oil in the tank and rode it back to school.
                  It overheated because I let the oil injector tank run dry, but same issue.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Fuel...?

i don't have an H2 750...

but i do have it's smallest sibling.. the S1 250 triple

my s1 is ported and polished with factory pipes.
                    I get 18-22MPG (i can also do 108MPH)

i found out about the center cylinder issue before i started riding it, and i turned up the oil injection as a preempive measure i also run it rich on fuel.

i have put 40,000 miles on this bike with no sign of wear on the cylinders and still have great compression(for this machine)

Sorry to make this post so long..

Here is my question. running a 2 stroke rich on oil and gas helps cool it.

Would this same principle work on a 4 stroke?

yes, the plugs would need changing more often and MPG would drop.
                    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                    1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Even on a two stroke, running rich will only cool to a point. The problem with this on a four stroke is that your oil is not in your fuel, and if you are real reach, you will have problems with cylinder wall wash, etc. A proper a/f mix will still run the coolest, rich can run warm, and lean will run warm. I have seen all of these on both my bike and my numerous sleds. Mod tuning will teach you about all this in a hurry!

On hot days here in MT, I will shut it off in stopped traffic. The beauty of a air cooled bike is that it cools off quickly when the heat source (running) is removed.

I have more the other problem, though. Getting the bike to warm up for the 10 degree rides to work!
                      Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Cool or not so Cool??

I was the sole mechanic for my H1 and tuned it according to the service manual. Cylinders were not set to be lean in an effort to tweak more Mpg. I'm just gonna call the "seize-up" as my fault for putting the bike in a situation that was just asking for it to happen. Just part of that "mission mentality" of having to use it to get to work no matter what the heat/traffic conditions were. (Mea Culpa...)

I'm sure that there are any number of means to try and make an XS1100 Superbike more compatible with stop-n-go traffic. But in the end the bike would be there in that situation where I'm sure the little japanese guys in labcoats who designed these bikes would squint their slanted eyes even tighter.

I mean someone who owned an SR-71 Blackbird could take it out of the hangar, taxi it down the runway, turn off the tarmac, and join those in the anti-destination league deadlocked on the roadways. How cool would that be?

It's a free country......

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
                          I have more the other problem, though. Getting the bike to warm up for the 10 degree rides to work!
                          So--- your bike has at least a couple brass nuts on it!

Comment

At that temp, though, they are really little ones
                            Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I wasn't saying to run your bike rich to make it run cooler, I was saying to run it to lean would cancel out one of the things the engineers designed into it to help keep it cool. Also you can't run a SR71 on the freeway all the fuel would leak out of the tank seams, they don't expand enough to seal until you reach cruising speed.
                              Fastmover
                              lion". SHL
                              78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
                                you can't run a SR71 on the freeway all the fuel would leak out of the tank seams, they don't expand enough to seal until you reach cruising speed.
                                You can't run an XS1100 at 80,000 feet or 2,000 MPH either.

The shocks and forks couldn't take the landing, without modification. And at 2,000 MPH your glasses and do rag would most definitly not stay on!

Comment

Working...
                                X