Air cooled question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air cooled question

Alright, this will probably be the most newbish question you'll ever hear out of me, but this is honestly a new thing for me. Air cooled. Ive always ridden water cooled bikes. Always. And living smack dab in the middle of the city, I get stuck in traffic a lot, sometimes where I have no option to get over and cant lane split(not that I would!), I may be sitting there for several minutes or just creeping along for a ways. Ive had times where my water cooled bikes are getting hot sitting there, so what the proper procedure for an air cooled bike? What is the longest it can sit running safely without really moving?
    1981 XS11SH Custom Project - Juggernaut
    1990 FZR600 Hybrid Streetfighter - Lilith
    1996 FZR600 Custom Project
    1994 FZR600

Sometimes I get caught in stop and go traffic when it's 95+ F and when the engine gets super hot (400+ F head temperature), you'll know for sure. The idle speed will start to decrease and you'll have to keep the throttle up a bit to keep it from stalling. This has only happened to me maybe twice in the last 5 years. These motors can take hot temps without causing any damage. An oil cooler will help a bit, but I don't even run one down here in S. Florida.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Agree w/ Phil.
      Yamaha 'Overkilled" these engine designs, and got 'em right.

All the guys I know in OK have never had an issue... and it gets pretty darn hot here in the summer.

Will say, anytime I'm working on mine in a shop, and it needs to idle for an extended period, just sitting... even though it's an open air shop... I'll put a fan in front of it.

Wouldn't worry too much about it. There tuff.
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

it gets hot here in houston, and these engines put off alot of heat. MAYBE just maybe you could mount a fan on the front of the bike that blows toward the engine!?!?!?!?! ANYONE???

on a serious note, i dont like to sit for a long time cause traffic in houston just SUCKS. ill shut it off if im at a stand still or I know im at a light that takes forever.
        Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
        1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
        XJ maxim rear air shocks
        KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
        Pod Filters

Money pit.......
        BLACKED OUT

Comment

Hey Freeze,

First, please either edit your profile info to include the year/model of your bike, or put it in your signature, so that we can tell what you have, tips and such are often model/year specific!

Secondly, if it's an earlier year, then you should have a kick starter shaft, which would come in handy to take the stress off of your battery for repeated startings in stop and go traffic. This way you could just shut it down until traffic moves enough to justify firing it back up and moving forward. These engines are tough, but sitting for extended times does put more stress on the oil and bearings and such. An oil cooler is about the only other mod you can put on to help increase the cooling affect. The electrics aren't really strong enough to be able to run a decent sized/capacity electric fan that would move enough air to provide adequate cooling.

I've gotten stuck in that type of traffic in 95+ temps also, and it got a bit tough to keep it running without using throttle input, smoke started coming off the head where I had a little oil leak, but it survived just fine. But I started shutting it off, and just walking it along the few feet traffic would move, until it was enough speed to actually fire it up.
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Freeze,

First, please either edit your profile info to include the year/model of your bike, or put it in your signature, so that we can tell what you have, tips and such are often model/year specific!

Secondly, if it's an earlier year, then you should have a kick starter shaft, which would come in handy to take the stress off of your battery for repeated startings in stop and go traffic. This way you could just shut it down until traffic moves enough to justify firing it back up and moving forward. These engines are tough, but sitting for extended times does put more stress on the oil and bearings and such. An oil cooler is about the only other mod you can put on to help increase the cooling affect. The electrics aren't really strong enough to be able to run a decent sized/capacity electric fan that would move enough air to provide adequate cooling.

I've gotten stuck in that type of traffic in 95+ temps also, and it got a bit tough to keep it running without using throttle input, smoke started coming off the head where I had a little oil leak, but it survived just fine. But I started shutting it off, and just walking it along the few feet traffic would move, until it was enough speed to actually fire it up.
            T.C.

Im honestly not sure exactly what model my engine is, I think it is an 81S, but Im not certain. Its electric start. I am actually building my bike from scratch almost. Starting with a titled frame and a parts bike with an engine and electrical and going from there using lots of parts from other bikes. I was planning on an oil cooler for sure, but its good to know these engines can handle some heat. This bike is intended to be a middle distance weekend trip bike and will spend most of its time on the highway in the mountains and not in the city if I can help it.
            1981 XS11SH Custom Project - Juggernaut
            1990 FZR600 Hybrid Streetfighter - Lilith
            1996 FZR600 Custom Project
            1994 FZR600

Comment

Unless your motor gets so hot it starts pinging.. fuel pre-igniting in the cylinders.. you should be fine.

Think of your lawnmower... running hours in the summer with maybe the speed of a walk to cool it off, and the fins probably full of grass/dust. These motors have enough cooling surface with the fins to keep them from doing any damage to the motor. As TC stated, if this was a regular occurance, I'd do more frequent oil changes. I've been stuck many times in 100+ heat. Between the heat off the asphalt, other vehicles, and the heat from the bike, I worry more about me than it.. lol.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oil cooler with a 12v fan (or 2) from a computer case, with a switch to turn on and off as needed.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I don't know if this is 100% true but I've heard that in Texas you are allowed to ride the shoulder on a bike if you are stuck in traffic going less than 20mph to prevent them from overheating. I'd have to check the books to see if this is really true.
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I wish you'd do that, because that's one of the places I've been stuck in traffic in that heat.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I've been STUCK in rush hour traffic on a bike on I30 in Arlington before. Took me 2 hours to get from Ft Worth to Dallas sometimes.

The bike I was riding then was water cooled, CX 500 Custom, and I had to turn it off and let it cool.

Comment

This is all I could find right now.

Texas Transportation Code - Section 545.058. Driving On Improved Shoulder

§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
                        may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
                        portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done
                        safely, but only:
                        (1) to stop, stand, or park;
                        (2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled
                        lane of traffic;
                        (3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
                        (4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped
                        on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing
                        to make a left turn;
                        (5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
                        (6) as permitted or required by an official
                        traffic-control device; or
                        (7) to avoid a collision.
                        (b) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the
                        left of the main traveled portion of a divided or limited-access or
                        controlled-access highway if that operation may be done safely, but
                        only:
                        (1) to slow or stop when the vehicle is disabled and
                        traffic or other circumstances prohibit the safe movement of the
                        vehicle to the shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of
                        the roadway;
                        (2) as permitted or required by an official
                        traffic-control device; or
                        (3) to avoid a collision.
                        (c) A limitation in this section on driving on an improved
                        shoulder does not apply to:
                        (1) an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a
                        call;
                        (2) a police patrol; or
                        (3) a bicycle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
                        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I was in a Santa's Anonomous parade, last year. About an hour of sub 5mph speeds on an 85 degree day.

As was mentioned, as it got hot the idle decereased and it got to where I had to rev it a bit to keep running. Eventually, the bike just stopped running. No pinging happened on mine

I just waited while the parade went by, restarted and joined at the back, with about 5 other bikes that had the same issue. (most less than 5 years old.)
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                            I don't know if this is 100% true but I've heard that in Texas you are allowed to ride the shoulder on a bike if you are stuck in traffic going less than 20mph to prevent them from overheating. I'd have to check the books to see if this is really true.

Really wish there was a law about that. I usually do it to get off and stay on the feeter road
                            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
                            1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
                            XJ maxim rear air shocks
                            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
                            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
                            BLACKED OUT

Comment

It even gets hot up here in the NW once in a while. I found that the water cooled Honda V65 Sabre I rode for a year got hot sitting in traffic. It was the first water cooled bike I had ridden extensively and that surprised me more than anything about it. I thought that the watercooling allowed some engine design features you couldn't acheive with air cooling and would eliminate overheating at idle. It never boiled over, but that temp gauge walked up beyond normal way too fast for my comfort.
                              I agree with the others that you simply shut it down and walk it until you are rolling again. I use a big fan when working on it at idle, too. Dumping the oil and added fresh is great insurance if you think things got a little too hot!
                              Part of the appeal for me on these bikes is their relative simplicity. Big air cooled inline four with a shaft drive and electronic ignition.
                              Have a great time riding in the Rockies!
                              Bothell, WA
                              1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                              X