timing light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing light

so Im in the market for a timing light , just wondering what kind I should get and where is the best place to get one??
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Get a dial back type with inductive pickup.
    I think I got my Sunpro at Sears, don't remember, but it works great.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

how much

Did it cost?
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

Comment

Originally posted by garthxs View Post
        so I'm in the market for a timing light , just wondering what kind I should get and where is the best place to get one??
        Ebay. There's been more than a few high-end tools for sale (what with the bad economy) pretty cheaply. Snap-on, Mac, Matco all make heavy-duty models that will take a bit more bashing around compared to the less expensive 'consumer' models and right now for about the same money if you do a bit of shopping.

'78E original owner
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

thats a good idea

But I really want to get something local, kragen, autozone, sears,walmart, and inexpensive not cheap
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

Comment

I picked up a cheap model that works just fine from Freight Harbor for like $15. Yeah it's kinda cheaply made, but for the price if it works just one more time I'm fine. The cheapest I could find after that was like $40 at the auto parts stores. Just can't see spending more for the very very few times I will use it.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If you want accuracy from 0 to 8,000 rpm then find an old Sears Craftsman(P/N A-2134) or MSD (P/N 8990). I got one of the old Craftsman 2134 off ebay a couple years ago for about $20.
              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I use this one, had it for a few years now with no problems...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40963
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've got your basic timing light, which works fine for doing your basic timing. I've been looking at a digital Actron light, primarily for the tachometer function. Been wanting to try a tach for setting the carbs, but as previously stated, when you get more bells and whistles the price rises accordingly. I've found Tooltopia.com to be an excellent place to get tools, but the actron timing lights are available in most auto parts stores if you prefer to by local - you'll probably pay more, though.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Harbor Freight also has an rpm gauge that you would just press against the timing plate (at the center) to read the RPM, I may get one in the next month or so, it looks like it will work just fine for what I need it for. It's still cheaper than the cheapest timing light at Auto Zone and both the timing light and the RPM meter are cheaper by far than the timing light with RPM function. I figure I don't mind several tools to do the job as long as they work. HF has both a mechanical (Presses against the center of the spinning wheel) and light actuated (just point at the edge and I guess it figures out when the same point comes back by) units, I figure the mechanical actuated one will work fine for me and save about $25.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                    X