No announcement yet.

Front fork upgrade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh! I wanted to add something. I have seen a few XSs on here that are running "FZR" forks as upgrade. All the ones I saw like that were UK bikes. And in the UK, the FZR600 is the same as the UZ YZF600. The FZR600 has completely non adjsutable forks and 2 piston calipers and a 3" front wheel, the YZF has adjustable forks and 4 piston calipers and a 3.5" wheel. The US FZR forks would be a poor choice for the XS IMO. Keep that in mind if looking at these forks. I THINK the FZR and the XS use the same stem bearings though, I will have to double check. And the YZF600 forks are a direct bolt on for the FZR, so that should make the swap pretty simple if thats the case. I will look and try to verify that though.
    1981 XS11SH Custom Project - Juggernaut
    1990 FZR600 Hybrid Streetfighter - Lilith
    1996 FZR600 Custom Project
    1994 FZR600

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      Not cheap, but I have been told by some I trust that the cartridge emulator is the hot ticket for the vintage bike.
      http://old.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english

That should be coupled with straight rate springs based on the weight of the motorcycle and rider.

http://www.traxxion.com/
      Anybody running these? If so, what do you think?

I checked the website. About $170 (for one fork or both, I don't know). Even if this is per fork, I don't think this would be all that bad if it really improved handling. Or am I looking at the wrong thing?
      Happy Riding

1981 XS11 Special
      2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Oh yeah--and a blue 1960 Impala Sport Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreeze5 View Post
        Oh! I wanted to add something. I have seen a few XSs on here that are running "FZR" forks as upgrade. All the ones I saw like that were UK bikes. And in the UK, the FZR600 is the same as the UZ YZF600. The FZR600 has completely non adjsutable forks and 2 piston calipers and a 3" front wheel, the YZF has adjustable forks and 4 piston calipers and a 3.5" wheel. The US FZR forks would be a poor choice for the XS IMO. Keep that in mind if looking at these forks. I THINK the FZR and the XS use the same stem bearings though, I will have to double check. And the YZF600 forks are a direct bolt on for the FZR, so that should make the swap pretty simple if thats the case. I will look and try to verify that though.
        OK, another question: where are folks coming up with these pieces and parts? Scrap yards? I'm not in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here...makes finding parts kind of hard.
        Happy Riding

1981 XS11 Special
        2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Oh yeah--and a blue 1960 Impala Sport Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by impalablue View Post
          OK, another question: where are folks coming up with these pieces and parts? Scrap yards? I'm not in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here...makes finding parts kind of hard.
          ebay or bike specific forums.

All FZRs 400-1000 and YZFs(not YZF-Rs) have a 17mm lower stem and 15mm upper. Should be simple enough for bearings. It will likely need some sort of spacer on the stem, the FZR/YZF stems are longer than the XS.

So as long as you can find the right ID bearings to fit, your halfway there.

Ill have more info on the R1 setup this week. Im picking up a 01 R1 triple tree for my mockup forks tuesday. Dont know when the 06 stuff will be here, but itll probably be next week due to the holiday.
          Last edited by MrFreeze5; 11-22-2009, 04:55 PM.
          1994 FZR600

Comment

I think I found the missing link. Details in a few days :P
            1994 FZR600

Comment

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
              has anyone tried the cartridge emulators? i have read about the mfor other bikes and they seem to be great...???
              I have a set in another bike (non-Yammy) and they work well. But would I buy them again? Nooooo....

They're expensive, and the adjustment process will try your patience. You have to physically remove them to do adjustments, and that's a messy deal. Granted, once you have them 'tuned' you're done unless you change the bike/setup, but still...

And RaceTech recommends straight-rate springs with the emulators, but after using 'their' setup, I removed the straight-rates and installed Progressives. No noticeable loss of handling, and much less harsh at lower speeds.

One other point; these bikes have rather undersized forks for their size/weight, so before I spent a lot of money trying to make them work like modern forks, I'd just replace them WITH modern forks.

'78E original owner
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...