G into a Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G into a Special

I have a 80G but just picked up a 82 special parts bike. I am going to switch the forks but I'am wondering what other parts I can swap besides the seat and tank and side covers? How different are the frames? Thanks Den

I have only owned Specials so far, so I am not 100% certain. I believe though that the frames are different for side cover mounts, and exhaust support positions.

Also, if you switch out the forks, you may want to also switch out the triple trees. Otherwise you change the steering geometry.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

If you have an 82 "special" I am guessing you have a 82 XJ1100 maxim. Frames are different. Engines are the same, only different. Electronics are different for the most part as well.
      The experts will have to weigh in on the specifics. I haven't torn open my XJ yet.
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
        Engines are the same, only different.
        That's almost precisely what I was thinking.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by dbwill View Post
          I have a 80G but just picked up a 82 special parts bike. I am going to switch the forks but I'am wondering what other parts I can swap besides the seat and tank and side covers? How different are the frames? Thanks Den
          Hi Den,
          XS Standard & XS Special forks will swap. To swap with no change in fork trail the complete fork has to move, 'trees and all.
          But presumably your '82 has to be an XJ? Dunno if XJ forks are different. Try this, carefully measure the distance between the XS front & rear axles then swap the XJ's forks in and measure again.
          If the number is the same you are golden. If it's less, the front wheel is further back and she'll steer heavy; if it's more, the front wheel is further ahead and she'll steer light. +/- a 1/2" shouldn't feel all that different; more may be noticable.
          For all the other stuff, tanks, sidepanels, seat etc, just try them and see.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X