Moving the bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mastering the slow turn

Here's a tip on slow u-turns. Rev the motor to 2.5k rpms, and hold it there - the motor will kind of act as a gyro-stabilizer. Sit up real straight and don't lean - steer. Go very slowly and control your speed using the clutch and rear brake only. Find yourself an open parking lot to practice in. Once you've mastered it, you should be able to turn the bike in two parking spaces as some have mentioned.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Tried the slow U turn...luckily no one was around. I was almost all the way through when the xs11 decided to use its weight against me. It sure is a heavy little thing picking up off that ground.
      Judgments prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

'79 xs1100 Special (All Blacked Out)

Comment

Oops! It's ok - it happens to everybody. Just try it again, and remember that if it starts to go over, a blip of the throttle will help stand it up again. Of course, it helps if there are no other vehicles nearby when you are practicing.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          Oops! It's ok - it happens to everybody. Just try it again, and remember that if it starts to go over, a blip of the throttle will help stand it up again. Of course, it helps if there are no other vehicles nearby when you are practicing.
          Or if your doing it right with the engine at 2.5k and slipping the clutch, just release the clutch a bit to put power to the rear wheel.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Go to a vacant parking lot when no one is around (DMV on a Sat or Sun?) and start doing figure-8's.
            Shrink the size of them. No reason to limit yourself to only being able to turn one direction easily.
            You can turn in a surprizingly tight circle with these bikes after awhile.

FWIW, it's tough to roll these bikes on grass period.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Yes, you will find it easier to maneuver one of these at the above 2.5 to 3k rpm range if you put a steady pressure on the rear brake pedal and control the speed with the clutch. It sounds funny at first to hear the engine revving a little but with the resistance from the rear brake she tends to stand up very nicely. If this causes it to get twitchy then you have to check the front brakes to see that they are not dragging.

Taught my sons to ride this way and either of them can do a U turn in about one and a half parking spots and one of them is now riding a K Vulcan Nomad, If he can do it with that truck anyone can.
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Go to northern tool dot com. under trailers and moving they have one for 139 bucks.....
                '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                Windjammer(wiring issues)
                SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                New paint/brakes to come!!
                ===============
                '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                ===============
                '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                Stock Pilots/125 mains
                Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                LED Brake Lite
                Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

If I stare at that avatar long enough will the straps break?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                    If I stare at that avatar long enough will the straps break?
                    I don't know, but you could try these...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3728
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I'm getting dizzy
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I don't even feel bad if i have to push my bike back out of a spot. Pee on their old bald heads if they laugh. I am to short to reach the ground with both feet at once. I practice all the time in slow tight corners. Getting better all the time.
                        P.S. Those bouncing things make me dizzy too.
                        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                        A quick death and an easy one.
                        A pretty girl and an honest one.
                        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

My mom told me if I looked at stuff like that I'd turn to stone. I quickly quit looking cause I felt myself starting to stiffen up .
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Kat where are ya? You know you want to comment....lol
                            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Working...
                            X