pita carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fed up

My patience is wearing thin and the problems are eluding me , just reset floats to 26.0 and still black plugs , mix screws @ 1 1/4. I need a break. And my 78 is at the shop getting the valves adjusted , nothing to ride until friday but the 78 should haul AZZ , they are gonna sync and adjust mix there and these guys are real pros who will work on anything , and as I have a little more money than time right now I'll let them mess with that
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by garthxs View Post
      My patience is wearing thin and the problems are eluding me , just reset floats to 26.0 and still black plugs , mix screws @ 1 1/4. I need a break. And my 78 is at the shop getting the valves adjusted , nothing to ride until friday but the 78 should haul AZZ , they are gonna sync and adjust mix there and these guys are real pros who will work on anything , and as I have a little more money than time right now I'll let them mess with that
      I'm tellin' ya brother, drop thos floats to at least 27 or even 27.5 like mine.

What have you got to lose?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
        ...The kits I ordered came with stock jets for a 79.

Greg
        There's your problem. Go Mikuni parts and you'll NEVER wonder if what you installed was junk.

Garth, unless you're at some insane high altitude (which San Diego is not) there is no reason you should lower your floats leaner than factory spec
        Last edited by 81xsproject; 10-15-2009, 06:57 AM.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The kits I ordered came with stock jets for a 79.
          Famous last words....

My 'kits' came with all new jets, too. Would't run for ****. Good thing I saved the original pilots, 'cause when I compared originals wth new, the new pilots didn't have any holes in the sides!

Not to say that this is your exact problem, just pointing out that results with 'kits' is iffy at best. Always compare the old parts to the new before installing.

Comment

Kits and carbs have been a big question mark around here since I found XS11. I highly recommend you at least see if who your buying form knows their backside form a hole in the terrafirma prior to ordering parts.

One ebay seller I have been impressed with is Georgefix, he seems to know these machiens and the needs of the different year carbs. My kits form him came in K&L bags which scared me as I have read on here that others have had nothign but trouble with K&L, but mine have proven to be great!

The key to it is that there are different style jets that are marked as 42.5 or 45 or whatever, but have different hole arrangements. These carbs use the BS style of jets. Many have gotten the VM style and had nothign but trouble. So, even if you order Mikuni, be sure you order the BS style or your still gonna be up that brown colored river without paddle or a boat.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

stock?

ike I said this bike has no intake /exhaust mods except a k/n filter and stock jetting. So I reset floats and reinstalled the carbs. Cleaned the plugs. Should I try to start it with the choke on? and then warm it up and then sync I just want a rundown on the proccess so I don't forget anything. Oh and should I have the advance plugged in or dummy plug the port on the #2 carb?
              Last edited by GARTHXS; 10-15-2009, 11:01 AM.
              91 kwaka kz1000p
              Stock

Comment

When I synch, I always warm the motor up first. Maybe even take a spin for a few miles if you can first. Then pull the tank or elevate as required, hook up the gage(s) and turn the screws.

I have never removed the vacuum hose to the advance.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

synch

Hey Garth,,,DXSGER is right,,,warm up the bike, leave the advance connected, hook up the vac gauges and do the outside screws first then the middle to synch both sets. If you want, ride up to my house and we can synch it this weekend with my set of four gauges,,,,about 5 minutes to do, make sure plugs are clean and gapped. I use a short piece of 2x4, prop up under the front of the tank and its easy to get to the screws to synch, a trick used by the famous "Wiz" now located in Carolina. Anyway,,,keep us informed,, Mike in V.C.
                  mike
                  1982 xj1100 maxim
                  1981 venture bagger
                  1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                  1959 wife

Comment

sync

Is not the issue I have a morgan - I just seem to keep fouling plugs , and for mike I don't think I can get it to run good enough to get up there. I am going to check the coils tomorrow and see if I am getting enough voltage to the plugs. Anybody got a good way to do that?
                    91 kwaka kz1000p
                    Stock

Comment

Hey Garth, Look for a thread by Dbeardslee a little while back. He chased the electrical system forwards and backwards on his bike. I think he outlined how he checked every dang piece of it in the thread. At the end of the day he had a bad coil.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

[QUOTE=81xsproject;239013]There's your problem. Go Mikuni parts and you'll NEVER wonder if what you installed was junk.

Originally posted by randy View Post
                        Famous last words....

My 'kits' came with all new jets, too. Would't run for ****. Good thing I saved the original pilots, 'cause when I compared originals wth new, the new pilots didn't have any holes in the sides!

Not to say that this is your exact problem, just pointing out that results with 'kits' is iffy at best. Always compare the old parts to the new before installing.
                        [QUOTE=DGXSER;239023]Kits and carbs have been a big question mark around here since I found XS11. I highly recommend you at least see if who your buying form knows their backside form a hole in the terrafirma prior to ordering parts.

If you go to ebay and look at item #220434193872 these are the exact kits and place I got them from.

It's in New Yawk.

Greg

Comment

If you go to ebay and look at item #220434193872 these are the exact kits and place I got them from.

It's in New Yawk.

Greg
                          Greg,

It is difficult at best to guess form the picture, but the shadows and glares on the pilot jet look like it has eight holes instead of the six ours should have. This I believe is the VM pilot jets and not the BS style. Often created problems for folks. Then there is the N151 type that have NO holes, again often causes problems. Like everythign else on these old machines, you need to know what you want before you buy and get what they thought you needed. Look at this link and you will see the difference in the jets mentioned, you have to page down to the pilot jets.

http://www.pjmotorsports.com/mikuni_jets_&_parts.htm

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            Greg,

It is difficult at best to guess form the picture, but the shadows and glares on the pilot jet look like it has eight holes instead of the six ours should have. This I believe is the VM pilot jets and not the BS style. Often created problems for folks. Then there is the N151 type that have NO holes, again often causes problems. Like everythign else on these old machines, you need to know what you want before you buy and get what they thought you needed. Look at this link and you will see the difference in the jets mentioned, you have to page down to the pilot jets.

http://www.pjmotorsports.com/mikuni_jets_&_parts.htm
                            I just went and looked at the ones that I took out and the have only 3 holes. They look just like the picture of the BS30/96 pilot on that page.

I don't know how these carbs ran before, I bought them they were off the bike. All 4 Pilot screw tips were broken off and stuck.

It actually runs really good right now. Starts and idles smooth, great power. It just has a tendancy to load up slightly at idle.

Garth, Sorry! We man don't mean to hijack your thread but some of this crap might help you.

Let us know if we're being a PITA OK?

Greg

Comment

you beat me to it!

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                              I just went and looked at the ones that I took out and the have only 3 holes. They look just like the picture of the BS30/96 pilot on that page.

I don't know how these carbs ran before, I bought them they were off the bike. All 4 Pilot screw tips were broken off and stuck.

It actually runs really good right now. Starts and idles smooth, great power. It just has a tendancy to load up slightly at idle.

Garth, Sorry! We man don't mean to hijack your thread but some of this crap might help you.

Let us know if we're being a PITA OK?

Greg
                              I was almost going to tell you hijackers the what for
                              91 kwaka kz1000p
                              Stock

Comment

HAHAHA

Feel the love man?

I PM'd Crazcnuk and asked him to pipe in here also.

He was a great help to me when I had the "PITA carb" syndrome.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X