Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a source for single aftermarket gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its bike bandit that has the clutch cover one........but.....its like $25 or $27 !!

So I went to the auto store and got a roll big enough to cut several out of for $7. An exacto knife and hole punch make it easy.

The only choice is the thickness. I dont think the clutch cover will have any clearance issues regarding this though.
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I just had to make this same decision today. Instead of ordering replacement gaskets (at the standard "arm and a leg" price point), I went to the autoparts store and picked up some aircraft liquid gasket. It's designed for aluminum engines and is simple to use: just "paint" both sealing surfaces with the liquid and it will set up into a thick paste. After it sets for (I think) 15 minutes, assemble like normal.

When they seal the left and right case halves of piston aircraft engines, they use this stuff then put a pair of silk threads down the middle of the seam, about 1/16" apart. After the stuff sets up, they bolt the cases together. Its old school, but it DOES work.
      -- Clint
      1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
        I just had to make this same decision today. Instead of ordering replacement gaskets (at the standard "arm and a leg" price point), I went to the autoparts store and picked up some aircraft liquid gasket. It's designed for aluminum engines and is simple to use: just "paint" both sealing surfaces with the liquid and it will set up into a thick paste. After it sets for (I think) 15 minutes, assemble like normal.

When they seal the left and right case halves of piston aircraft engines, they use this stuff then put a pair of silk threads down the middle of the seam, about 1/16" apart. After the stuff sets up, they bolt the cases together. Its old school, but it DOES work.
        Hehe, I remember helping my dad do that on a Lycoming in his CallAir A9. (Might have been a Continental)

When I had the help of the amazing TRBig with splitting my case, he brought some Threebond 1194. That stuff is right awesome. I think I like it better than The Right Stuff from Permatex. I am going to get me another tube, since Russ wouldn't let me take it home.

BTW Tod, that stuff doesn't give you a buzz worth a damn, Russ and I really tried after you left, and I was sneezing gray boogers for three days. On the plus side, I haven't had to trim my nose hairs for a while.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
          On the plus side, I haven't had to trim my nose hairs for a while.
          That might be worth the price of admission right there!
          -- Clint

Comment

Tisket..Tasket...Gasket??

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
            I went to the autoparts store and picked up some aircraft liquid gasket. It's designed for aluminum engines and is simple to use: just "paint" both sealing surfaces with the liquid and it will set up into a thick paste. After it sets for (I think) 15 minutes, assemble like normal.
            Are you talking about "Aviation Form-a-Gasket"?? I've used that stuff for years in motorcycle, cars, marine applications. I've always used it to coat both sides of the gasket surfaces before reassembly. Never used it as a substitute for a gasket though.

Maybe it's the weather/temperature here in the PNW, but I can never get it to set up/get firm in the 30 minute time period unless I use a heat gun....

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
              Hehe, I remember helping my dad do that on a Lycoming in his CallAir A9. (Might have been a Continental)

When I had the help of the amazing TRBig with splitting my case, he brought some Threebond 1194. That stuff is right awesome. I think I like it better than The Right Stuff from Permatex. I am going to get me another tube, since Russ wouldn't let me take it home.

BTW Tod, that stuff doesn't give you a buzz worth a damn, Russ and I really tried after you left, and I was sneezing gray boogers for three days. On the plus side, I haven't had to trim my nose hairs for a while.
              Yep, that stuff is right awsome. I used it to seal my clutch cover area and it worked first time every time (since I had to take it off 4 times to get the clutch right (I think I have it figure out now though)).

Got a little on the outside though, and I'm not sure what to use to take it off the outside of the cover.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                Are you talking about "Aviation Form-a-Gasket"?? I've used that stuff for years in motorcycle, cars, marine applications. I've always used it to coat both sides of the gasket surfaces before reassembly. Never used it as a substitute for a gasket though.

Maybe it's the weather/temperature here in the PNW, but I can never get it to set up/get firm in the 30 minute time period unless I use a heat gun....
                I think that is it. I'll let you know how well it works here in Albuquerque. It's been doing the 20-45 degree thing, so it definitely ISN'T hot these days.
                -- Clint

Comment

Three Bond is the way to go if you dont want to make your own, it's easy to apply, seals really good and best of all any excess that squeezes out on the inside is oil soluble. No blocked galleries, no bearing failures.

I rebuilt a KZ400 engine once and used a silicon based gasket goo similair to Permatex. A little squeezed out on the inside and blocked an oil gallery supplying the crank. You can imagine the rest and I've never used silicon since.

Check here http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...43573#msg43573 for an awesome library of gaskets you can print and make yourself. (thanks Brian)
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

The Bond that Breaks....

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                    Three Bond is the way to go if you dont want to make your own, it's easy to apply, seals really good and best of all any excess that squeezes out on the inside is oil soluble. No blocked galleries, no bearing failures.
                    I'm not a fan of sealers which are only "resistant" to gasoline/oil. I'd think that would make any "seals" a ticking clock with who knows how long to go before the material breaks down. I'm planning to take off the oil pan/bottom cover of my spare engine this year. Not sure what "sealant" to use after I put it back on.

If is use the ThreeBond, which one fits the best for this situation? The 1194 or the 1211?? We're talking about a cover/surfaces which are critical to keeping the oil in the engine. Is oil/gas "resistant" good enough for something like this?? It's not exactly like putting the engine cases back together where the parts are married together for life. I may have to get back in there someday. But I wouldn't want to find out 5k miles later that the material was breaking down and leaking oil all over my rear tire either.....

What about the "Yamabond"?? And what number yamabond?? 4 Maybe??

(I still need to do research on Permatex's "Right Stuff".....)

Not to hijack this thread with horror stories or those worthy of adding to Trbig's "Dumb-a%$ Award" thread, I once had a mechanic friend of mine split the cases on my Suzuki DR370 to fix a bent shift fork. He put it back together with some form of "silicone sealant". Less than 50 miles later I couldn't keep oil in it: it would drain out from between the cases before I went 3 miles. I took it apart myself, put in a new gasket and sealed it with Aviation Form-a-Gasket: impermeable to gas/oil.

Comment

1194 is the only one I've seen out here and it's all I've used for at least 20 years, except for heads and high pressure environments etc, and I've never had a leak. It grey stuff which smears on easy with a finger, doesnt set "hard" and is easy to take apart again. It's some type of synthetic rubber which is extremely oil resistant when set, but breaks down in oil while "wet". hence no danger of blocking important bits if you get a bit heavy handed with it, but a little bit will go a looong way. It's on the rocker covers of my bike and just about everywhere, including the sump, on my V8 right now, has been for ages and I've got no concerns. Trust me, perpare your surfaces properly, apply some 3 bond and you wont go wrong.

http://www.threebond.co.jp/en/produc...1100/1194.html

addendum.. On reflection I've realised that I have also used yamabond in the past and found it good also, but I wondered if it wasnt just the same stuff with a different name. certainly looks and feels the same.
                      Last edited by b.walker5; 01-03-2010, 04:32 AM. Reason: memory recall

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Okay, just done some web research and confirmed my theory that 3 bond and yamabond are one in the same.

http://www.proaccessories.com.au/pro...uid_gasket.htm

Comment

If you change your mind and try cutting out gaskets, there was this post with gasket templates a little while ago. (8 lines below).
                          ------------------------------------------------------

#1 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
                          garthxs
                          XSive Maximus Join Date: Nov 2007

gasket templates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled this off the uk site
                          http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=4997.0
                          Fj1100 carbs
                          750 f/d mod!!
                          Pacifico Fairing
                          1979 XS1100f
                          Runner 99% done
                          needs hours of polishing
                          s/s brake lines
                          lockhart oil cooler
                          pnm front mc
                          80g airforks

( Insert clever quote here )
                          dontlikeoc
                          1981 XS1100 Special Edition
                          Alhambra, CA

Comment

I just needed a head gasket for an XJ750 I was working on. Found it cheap at http://www.ecologicalinvestments.com...ock-clearance/. While looking there I found some of the clutch cover gaskets for $6.40ea so I ordered a couple. $48 shipped. He also sells on ebay as user Nikau.

Found the valve cover gaskets at Partsnmore for $10ea while I was ordering a couple cables($12), levers($5) and starter buttons($6).

Ebay for Cylinder head($15) and base gaskets($6.50).
                            Last edited by rpgoerlich; 01-03-2010, 08:30 AM.
                            Richard

Comment

Made a timing cover gasket used an electric dremel engraver to trace the outside instead of using an exacto and it came out really good. would not try to do a v/c gasket and also get those at Partnmore.
                              79SF
                              XJ11
                              78E

Comment

HYLOMAR not sillycone.......http://www.hylomar-usa.com/_resource.../products.html
                                careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Working...
                                X