Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a source for single aftermarket gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a source for single aftermarket gaskets?

I don't need a whole gasket kit, as I have no plans to tear down the top end, but I do need a clutch gasket, shifter cover gasket and an alternator gasket so
    i can put on my newly polished covers. For what the Yammie dealer wants for those three I could buy a whole gasket set,

I guess I could cut them, but I'd pay a little more for convenience. Anybody know an aftermarket source for single gaskets?

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/val...er_gaskets.htm

I found valve cover gaskets here. You might call and check with Rob. They were very accomodating.

Greg

Comment

I make most of my own. The valve cover gasket is one I wouldn't try unless there was no other way...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I'd rather cut mine out of paper. The one oil sealing problem I can't seem to shake is the wire grommet on the alternator wires. I'd sealed it a couple times and it still leaks. The only way you can get one of these grommets new is with a new stator...

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
            I make most of my own. The valve cover gasket is one I wouldn't try unless there was no other way...

Geezer
            I made one 1 time. 2 hrs and a lot of tedious stressful patience.

Valve cover gaskets are only $10 here. even though it worked well, I don't think I want to do it again.

Greg

Comment

I've cut many a gasket, but it's hard to find that really thin gasket paper motorcycle gaskets are cut from. There is no way in hell I would try to cut a valve cover gasket for one of these bikes, though.

At the same time, I get real paranoid about using any kind of silicon sealant. I get visions of a dollop getting loose and plugging up an oil passage. Instant fried camshaft comes to mind.

I guess I can cut some side cover gaskets out of regular automotive gasket paper. It's not ideal, but I can make it work. I was just hoping for some convenience.

Wait til you see Incubus with this shiny covers....

Patrick
              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I get gasket paper in various thickness from the local auto parts store. I also used to make gaskets from Peechee paper notebook folders and manila folders in a pinch.

I guess I'm just too damn old school...

Geezer

Comment

I also have used manila folders. I still do, sometimes, for gaskets that don't have to hold oil, like the cover over the pickup coils. None of the auto parts stores around here sell the really thin gasket material motorcycle gaskets are cut from. The stuff they sell is about twice as thick. It seals just as well, but it's just harder to cut and it's not as rigid, so it doesn't hold its shape as well. I end up cutting it with more overlap.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

ok..Just man up and cut the dang things.... (just kidding, kinda). I cut all of mine to date and yes that includes the valve cover gasket, The toughest one yet was the valve cover. The shift fork cover is a bit goofy but not to bad. The tranny pan is another one that is a bit of a pain. So far my clutch cover gasket has been reusable four times with no leaks. I did have to resort to RTV on the shift fork cover the second time around though.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
                      I also have used manila folders. I still do, sometimes, for gaskets that don't have to hold oil, like the cover over the pickup coils. None of the auto parts stores around here sell the really thin gasket material motorcycle gaskets are cut from. The stuff they sell is about twice as thick. It seals just as well, but it's just harder to cut and it's not as rigid, so it doesn't hold its shape as well. I end up cutting it with more overlap.
                      O'Reilly's has it. That's where I got mine. I think I got enough to do the whole engine for about 8 bucks.

They have several different thickness ses ses.

Find someone there that doesn't look like they're skipping school.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
                        At the same time, I get real paranoid about using any kind of silicon sealant. I get visions of a dollop getting loose and plugging up an oil passage. Instant fried camshaft comes to mind.
                        First off, it would have to make it through the screen on the oil pump. Then it would have to make it past the oil filter. After that if it fits through the filter media, it isn't going to cause a problem. If there is enough silicone to break loose inside the engine, its time to re-evaluate who is working on your stuff, because they most likely make many other simple mistakes.

I have silicone based gaskets on all my covers. On this scoot I would use it any place except the head gasket and any seal.

Comment

The toughest one I ever made was the front case gasket on a CX500 Honda. Honda discontinued the gasket and it could only be gotten in a set that was over a hundred bucks. I F'ed up the first 2 tires but the third was the charm...

I also coat my homemade gaskets with yamabond #4 and let them dry before assembling. I's pretty damn rare for one of these to ever leak again.

I'm thinking after I install the XVZ1200 cam chain tensioner upgrade, there won't ever be a leak there again either...

Geezer

Comment

Probably not Geezer. The plug is sealed with a heavy copper ring somewhat similar to a banjo fitting. Its probably not going to leak.

FWIW Permatex Anaerobic Sealer (518?) does an excellent job on the flange.

Comment

Maybe I'm not old-school enough, but I actually PREFER the permatex. If done right (using a clean 1/8" bead, finger tightened, wait an hour, then torque the bolts), it works really well. Logic tells me that it would actually seal BETTER than a paper gasket, since it molds into any tiny imperfections in the metal surfaces. It also cleans up nicely with a wire brush and a shot of carb cleaner.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X