Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picture? How the throttle Cable attaches to the carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture? How the throttle Cable attaches to the carbs?

Can someone draw a photo or shoot a picture showing how the cable attaches to the little circular attachment? I don't think I have the Throttle cable attached correctly. It works, but I am afraid it will wiggle loose out in the middle of no where, causing me angst and woe. Is there supposed to be a cotter pin or screw attaching the cable to the circular thingy?

Muchos gracias.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

OK I found a photo, need help decifering it

OK, here is an image. The end of the throttle cable is a tiny cylinder that comes off of the cable parallel, not perpendicular like you would imagine. It looks like there should be some sort of cotter pin or something to hold the cable end to the lever. I don't seem to have anything other than the cable. (May be somewhere in the garage, may have been stolen by aliens. Either way if there is another part, it is gone.)

Any advice on how to rigg it?

Sam Christensen

Comment

No pin. The end of the coating sits in that little circle on the top that's bolted to your diaphragm covers. The exposed cable runs down to the throttle lever and just slips through that almost "C" hole. It's at an angle when installed so it's not supposed to come out. No pins or clips, you're just making it harder than it looks.
      Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
      '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
      '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
      '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
      New steering head races and bearings
      '78/'79 standard wire harness
      Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
      T.C.'s fuse block
      PNM Coils
      7mm Dyna Wires
      NGK Resistor Caps
      Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Yep, Bobber's got it right.

It's designed to not come out, due to the angle... w/o any other keepers.

Exterior casing portion of the throttle cable goes in the holder above that... and that's it.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
          .....The end of the throttle cable is a tiny cylinder that comes off of the cable parallel, not perpendicular like you would imagine.........
          Your description does not work. The 'cylinder' should be oriented perpendicular to the cable, not parallel. See #14 below. Do you have the correct cable?

XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
            See #14 below. Do you have the correct cable?]
            I may have the wrong cable. It is parallel to the cable. I will look at purchasing a new one. Thanks.
            Sam Christensen

Comment

Were you trying to install the clutch cable as the throttle maybe?
              T.C.'s fuse block
              PNM Coils
              7mm Dyna Wires
              NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

Originally posted by xs11bobber View Post
                I looked at the cables, but don't see how they could be interchanged. The clutch cable is longer and stiffer. Plus it has the same parallel cylinder on the end, only it is a little larger.

I think I have a PO installed throttle cable that is not of this bike.

A second question: The throttle seems a little unresponsive. Could that be because the carbs are out of sync? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks
                Sam Christensen

Comment

I looked at the cables, but don't see how they could be interchanged. The clutch cable is longer and stiffer. Plus it has the same parallel cylinder on the end, only it is a little larger.

I think I have a PO installed throttle cable that is not of this bike.

A second question: The throttle seems a little unresponsive. Could that be because the carbs are out of sync? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks
                  Sam Christensen

Comment

The throttle seems a little unresponsive. Could that be because the carbs are out of sync? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks
                    Could be the snych and/or the mixture (jets/screws/floats).

It's not going to jerk you around like a big bore 2 stroke though.
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

Could be the snych and/or the mixture (jets/screws/floats).

It's not going to jerk you around like a big bore 2 stroke though.
                      I tried to ride it this afternoon. It started fine and idles beautifully, but when I pull back on the throttle, it bogs and if I don't let it out, it dies. No revving at all. I tried riding it to see if it would clear up and run, but ended pushing it a few blocks home. I cleaned the carbs last week, but did not replace anything, things looked fine, just really dirty.

How can I tell if the jets/screws or floats are the problem?

Don't know if this helps, but it seems to run better with the choke all the way out.

I don't need it to pull my arms off, moving forward would be nice though.
                      Sam Christensen

Comment

I don't need it to pull my arms off, moving forward would be nice though.
                        That made me chuckle some. To move forward, make sure it's in neutral atop a REALLY big hill. Put your feet up and hang on! hahaha.
                        You can find the replacement throttle cable from either Z1 Enterprises or Mikes XS.

If full choke is required then it sounds like the engine is starving for fuel. Did you perform any mods that would require different jettings from stock? (ie. airbox drilled/replaced with pods, exhaust mod 4 to 1 or open 4 to 2)

As far as throttle response goes...
                        It could go right back to the set up vs. the jettings again. Did you vaccum synch the carbs when you cleaned them? There's a homemade synch tool you can build for around $5 with a little tranny fluid and some clear tubing hooked to the vaccum ports on the carb boots.
                        I don't think it's a float problem. I would think that would cause the fuel to not shut off properly. Which I believe a catching float would do the same thing and cause you a fuel leak.
                        T.C.'s fuse block
                        PNM Coils
                        7mm Dyna Wires
                        NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

Try running the petcocks in the "prime" position. Are you still using the octy? When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove and clean the pilot jet passages?
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Sounds like a problem with the idle circuits, which provide fuel up around 3000RPM or so.
                            If your float levels are too low, it won't pick up fuel properly.

Go back through the carbs thoroughly using the stuff here as your guide.
                            XS1100SF
                            XS1100F

Comment

Sounds like a problem with the idle circuits, which provide fuel up around 3000RPM or so.
                              If your float levels are too low, it won't pick up fuel properly.

Go back through the carbs thoroughly using the stuff here as your guide.
                              Idle Circuits? What is an idle circuit. After pushing her two blocks home I don't think I would want to push her up a hill.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              Try running the petcocks in the "prime" position. Are you still using the octy? When you cleaned the carbs, did you remove and clean the pilot jet passages?
                              No Octy, the PO removed them. I will look at the carbs again later this week.

Did you perform any mods that would require different jettings from stock? (ie. airbox drilled/replaced with pods, exhaust mod 4 to 1 or open 4 to 2)
                              Nope, not a one.

As far as throttle response goes...
                              Did you vaccum synch the carbs when you cleaned them? There's a homemade synch tool you can build for around $5 with a little tranny fluid and some clear tubing hooked to the vaccum ports on the carb boots.
                              I did a rough sync using a homemade tool. Need to fine tune it, but the carbs pull within an inch of each other at 1500RPM.
                              Last edited by digitalsam; 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM.
                              Sam Christensen

Comment

Working...
                              X