wiring electric flasher relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring electric flasher relay

OK so i bough the cheapy electrnic flasher relay from auto zone. How and where do I wire this thing into the system? I can't even find my manual to find where the thermal relay is.. Help please and thank you!!

Gary

Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Look under the right side cover below the fuse panel. Locate the 3 way plug. The green/white wire won't be used anymore, that is for the self-cancelling flashers. Plug the unit in and try it, and if it works, all done. If it doesn't work, reverse the two remaining wires in the plug (plug comes apart) and try it that way. One combination between the remaining 2 wires (not grn/wht) will work. HTH
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

this?

Is this what I am looking for?

Also. What are the colors for the left and right rear flasher?
      What are the colors for the left and right front flasher?

PO had it wired up off the brown as markers only so I am not sure where to start.

Also. Since the auto cancel feature wll be no good. Where is the relay for the auto cancel feature? Is this something that I can unplug/remove to clean up some wiring?

Thanks,
      Gary King
      bobbed with love.

Comment

Yep, that's the one. The flasher cancel unit is in the top of your picture, mounted on the left side frame rail, with a rubber mount holder. First get the signal working, then try disconnecting it. I'll try to post a wiring diagram for you, but right now my Photobucket isn't working.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

horizontal?

I assume it is the horizontal one on the seat rail, left side? If so what is the relay that sits behind the cover on the left side with a vertical mounting?

D^&n where is my manual...uuuugggggghhhhh

A diagram woudl rock but if I can just get the colors I can manage the rest, I think...lol

Thanks,

Gary
          Gary King
          bobbed with love.

Comment

Think i got it to work...

Not sure of the relay you're talking about??? Yes, the cancell relay is the long rectangular one.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 10-02-2009, 07:55 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

I bought one from advance auto...WOrks great for the LEFT turn signal.....

but when i try to hit the RIGHT turn signal, my headlight and brake lights flash!!!!! WTF?????

pulled headlight out of bucket. the wires to the headlight appear clean and tight...headlight comes on when you turn key...hi and lo work fine..... front signals are hooked up to the brown and green wires, as are the rears....

left signal works fine, but not the right...

any ideas?????
              '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
              Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
              4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
              Windjammer(wiring issues)
              SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
              New paint/brakes to come!!
              ===============
              '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
              ===============
              '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
              Stock Pilots/125 mains
              Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
              SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
              LED Brake Lite
              Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

WTF indeed

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post

but when i try to hit the RIGHT turn signal, my headlight and brake lights flash!!!!! WTF?????

pulled headlight out of bucket. the wires to the headlight appear clean and tight...headlight comes on when you turn key...hi and lo work fine..... front signals are hooked up to the brown and green wires, as are the rears....

any ideas?????
                Hi Tom,
                you mean the headlight and brakelights flash on/off/on/off etc with the replacement flasher when you signal right?
                Did that happen with the stock flasher too?
                Your '81 Standard has signal + running lights up front AND a 4-way emergency flasher so the wiring gets kinda complicated.
                I can only suppose you have got something cross-wired.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

wiring

yeah, Sounds like something is way wrong. I got mine (pictured) above at advance auto for 4.99. It is a two prong.

After wiring the signals I had to change the two plugs at the relay (so that I could use factory plug).

The striped wire going to the auto cancel relay was removed (doesn't work with the electric flasher).

I have heard of funny things happening if you do not have the two leads to the flasher on correctly. try reversing the two leads and see if you have the same problems. Is it a 2 or 3 prong flasher? I have also heard that the 3 prong electric flashers do not work.

Gary
                  Gary King
                  bobbed with love.

Comment

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post

any ideas?????
                    Hey Tom,

Take your turn signal assembly apart and look for loose/broken solder connections and wires! The high/low beam switch along with the turn signals are in there, and folks have reported broken solder joints, corrosion, etc.!!!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The relay i purchased is a two prong. One way NOTHING worked. the other way, the left signals worked.

BlackSunshine is an 80G model. Looking at ALLLLLLLL the diagrams, it has leads that would support running lights in front (blue leads) but i dont have them hooked up. left signals work GREAT. right signal...no worky at all. tried cleaning terminals, checking lights (hooked up the right side signals to the left side leads and they worked.....so bulbs and grounds are okay....

As T.C. stated, i will pull the control apart, and view the housing and the connections there....

i noticed that the brake light switches are out of adjustment as well. the front brake lever has to be pulled "out" in order to turn the brake light off. could this have something to do with it?...
                      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
                      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
                      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
                      Windjammer(wiring issues)
                      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
                      New paint/brakes to come!!
                      ===============
                      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
                      ===============
                      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
                      Stock Pilots/125 mains
                      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
                      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
                      LED Brake Lite
                      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

I'm experiencing some problems with my 80G and led's as well. I got one of the two prong electric flashers and I plug it in and the leds just dim a tiny bit every so slowly instead of on/off blink. I'm going to try another flasher or wire up some more led's in the end of my bars to bump up the current draw.
                        1980 XS1100G
                        Tulsa, OK

Comment

For LEDs you have to have a flasher made for LEDs.

Most of the flashers you buy at the local auto stores say 'electronic' on them, but are actually electro-mechanical and will not work with LEDs.

I tried to buy mine locally, when I went to LEDs, but none worked, or they wanted $40 for the flasher.

I ended up ordering proper flashers from the same place I got my LEDs, for about $6ea.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by gk45241 View Post
                            ........... If so what is the relay that sits behind the cover on the left side with a vertical mounting?

Gary
                            I believe that is the light checker unit.Tells you if the tail/brake light is burned out. It lights up the OIL/BRAKE red light on the middle console.
                            XS1100SF
                            XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                              For LEDs you have to have a flasher made for LEDs.

Most of the flashers you buy at the local auto stores say 'electronic' on them, but are actually electro-mechanical and will not work with LEDs.

I tried to buy mine locally, when I went to LEDs, but none worked, or they wanted $40 for the flasher.

I ended up ordering proper flashers from the same place I got my LEDs, for about $6ea.

Hey Craz,

When I did my mod many years ago, and used the large 12-15 LED bulb arrays that I wired into my signal housings, they each draw about .3 amps IIRC, and I left the OEM incandescent style pilot box indicator bulbs IN, and my Electro-Mechanical flasher does work...but it may be due to both the Pilot bulbs, as well as the older larger styled LEDs that are providing just enough draw to activate mine. When my bike is idling, they will blink a little slower and speed up a little when the engine is revving.

But perhaps these newer smaller fewer LEDs per bulb housing don't draw anywhere near as much as my old style, and that's possibly why the AUTO STORE E-M style flasher doesn't work with them!?

Yes, the LED web site sells their full electronic flashers for like $10.00.
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X