Cam Alignment Tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Alignment Tolerance

I've read the cam chain tip and followed the manual procedure for aligning the cams. The alignment mark on the exhaust cam lags behind about a degree or two. My question is if I'm in tolerance.

I've found top center using a degree wheel and piston stop.

I've aligned the indicator with the the T mark.

After following the manual procedure for aligning the cams and setting the chain tensioner the intake cam marks align very close.

The exhaust cam marks lag a few degrees.

Do I have more work to do here?
    My heros have always been flat trackers.

Those marks are usually "close enough" to get the cams in proper synch. To find out where they really are, you need to use a travel indicator and find the degree at which the designated lift is achieved. Most cams will say Xº at .020" lift.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

HeyMashemoto,
      Those cam dots need to align,
      looks like it might be a tooth off at the crank,
      play with it carefully and see if you can get them to line up.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I was able to get the exhaust to move one tooth to the right. Here are the results

This is the intake.

This is the exhaust. It is now leading a little bit

They are much closer, but still more work? I'm not sure how to get it to adjust any more

Comment

Looks better, but Ive always been able to have
          mine line up, is that with the tensioner in place
          and adjusted?
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Pete,

Yes, that is with the tensioner in place. I re-read your first reply about my chain maybe being a tooth off. The above setting was made by moving the exhaust cam one tooth. Tonight I'll try to move the chain on the crankshaft and see if that will help.

I guess the correct setting is for the two dots to align spot on with the arrows

Comment

Originally posted by Mashermoto View Post
              I guess the correct setting is for the two dots to align spot on with the arrows
              Mine don't line up spot on. It can't be too critical, since the arrows on the caps are from the casting process, which isn't very accurate at all.

Comment

I think the first spot you had it in would be correct. (In the first pic) If you were to put it there and slightly advance the crank, it will show a SLIGHT advancement on intake and a SLIGHT retard on exhaust. All this means is that your cam chain is slightly stretched. Once they do this, it makes the links in between the two cams a little further apart over time.. but it will still run just fine.

Besides a bit of performance, this is another reason I'd like to have slotted cam sprockets. You could adjust them to get them exact each time.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Besides a bit of performance, this is another reason I'd like to have slotted cam sprockets. You could adjust them to get them exact each time.

Tod
                  I am workin on it man, give me time...

Comment

I agree TR. The distance between the intake sprocket and exhaust sprocket is going to determine how much the exhaust lags or leads the exhaust. The crank pulls the intake, and the intake pulls the exhaust. So any slack between the intake and exhaust is how much the the exhaust will lag behind.

And yes, slotted cam sprockets would make this thread a moot point Even with a streached chain you could still adjust the cams alignments spot on

What confuses me is that the intake aligns very close. With the distance between the two cams being much less than the distance from the intake to the crank, it just seems like the exhaust should align better than it is. I'll keep messing with it. In the meantime I'll check back to see what folks have to say.

Later.

Comment

I think the later of the two is more correct. It is less than half a chain link from perfect, right?
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I think the later of the two is more correct.
                        Why?

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Check those cams!

Since you have your degree wheel mounted and TDC found, why dont you try and get ahold of a 1" travel dial indicator and mount it on the head with the probe on the top of the valve bucket to measure the cam lobe centers and be sure. Factory lobe centers should be 101 degrees for both intake and exhaust. Checking height should be around .040" (which is about 1mm).

The procedure is to zero the dial indicator then rotate in direction of running until dial indicator measures .040" and record that number from the degree wheel. Then rotate until valve opens and then closes again to .040" and record that number. The formula is opening # + closing # + 180 /2 and subtract the smallest number.

If you have in fact moved the exhaust cam one tooth off then you will come up with a crazy lobe centerline for that cam and you will actually be off many degrees at the crank. Plenty enough to cause a collision between valve and piston. While your degree wheel is mounted, check for piston/valve clearance at TDC, 5, 10 and 15 degrees before and after TDC.

I have been using slotted cam sprockets for years. There is no big horsepower gains to be had but it does increase tuneability alot. But it is a bit more work if you ever remove your cams as you must degree them in every time.
                          Mike Giroir
                          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

But it is a bit more work if you ever remove your cams as you must degree them in every time.

Why wouldn't it be EASIER? Leave the sprocket bolts loose, put the cams exactly on the dots and tighten up the sprocket bolts.

Now, if you were timing them each time to get them at a 5 degree advance or whatever.. then yeah, I can see that. But to have them to keep the engine timing stock.. seems like it would be much easier.

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

TAD,

You mean like this

The short answer is it is a pain in the asprins It would be much simpler to just follow the instructions, but it's turning out to not be that simple.

I probably will use your suggestion, just to find out the truth and sleep a little better at night

101 degree seperation is real tight Are you sure about those factory specks

Comment

Working...
                              X