Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did the search, came up dry ... any help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did the search, came up dry ... any help?

can xs and xj tanks be interchanged as is, or do they need adapting? thanks
    A fine running motor is a tune you just can't get out of your head.
    first yamaha --1980 XS1100G

They will not interchange. In fact, the XS Standard and Special tanks will not interchange with each other either (without some modifications anyway).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Yes, you can put an XJ tank on an XS, but it does take a little modification.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        - - - the XS Standard and Special tanks will not interchange with each other either (without some modifications anyway).
        Hi 'Bug,
        to clarify that, The Standard and Special tanks themselves will interchange without being modified at all.
        To get the Special's seat on with a Standard tank you have to crop the seat's nose or at least notch it to fit the Standard tank's fuel cap pocket drain tube connection.
        I'd suppose putting a Special tank on a Standard would leave a gap there?
        The fuel senders need to swap but only if you want the security of a gauge or a warning light because the senders work in different ways.
        The gas taps have to stay with the tanks because they have different bolt centres.
        Which means the Standard owner will have to either find a spare octopus or remember to turn the gas off.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 09-21-2009, 03:50 PM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Exactly... "Some modification". It's not a simple cut-and-paste.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by chinrest View Post
            can xs and xj tanks be interchanged as is, or do they need adapting? thanks
            Refer to the original question. They will work, with some adapting.
            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

In addition to the mounts, the fuel sending units are different and would need to be changed. Petcocks are not the same either, as the later ones are vacuum-operated in stock configuration and not all XSs have the "octopus" that the XJ and later standards(?) use. This can be changed / bypassed but does require some tinkering. Just a couple more things to consider.
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
              X