Custom header tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom header tips?

Alright so I have decided on how I am going to be doing my header pipes, and I wanted to see what all you guys though about this! I don't have a welder so I will be doing all this with some sort of bolt on solution...

First off I am going to be getting these baffles from eBay.

These I will be putting inside the end of my pipes.

As you can see I don't have much room, actually I have just over four inches of room to install these baffles. Thing are going to be TIGHT but at least these baffles will make things a bit quieter. The next thing I am going to be doing is installing Lollipops just behind the baffles at the bend. For those of you that don't know what a lollipop is, it is only the greatest exhaust mod on the planet!

It is pretty much a washer on the end of a bolt that you can adjust open or closed. It has TONS of fine tuning potential and is really simple to do. (Read more about it here)

Then finally after all that is done, I want to put a tip on it that will blow down and was thinking something like this...

Here is where I run into a problem...These tips cost well over $100 and frankly I am not made of money. So I am going to attempt to make them myself. The only question I have is what are the pipes made of? Stainless Steel or something else? This will be the only piece on my bike's exhaust that won't be wrapped so I kinda want these to keep their polish...Suggestions?
    Other than that I was thinking of putting some kind of silencer (not sure if that's what it is called...) in the tip like the one in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnvW-Uv0lg4

This I am going to try to fabricate, but don't know how that will go, so I may end up either putting a large fender washer inside the tips and drilling the other holes around, sort of like in the video, or just buying something from eBay.
    Also I found this on eBay and might try this out. Anyone tried this fiberglass fabric stuff?

Thanks,
    -Rick
    Last edited by Clerek; 09-20-2009, 11:34 PM.
    1979 XS1100 Standard

Standard automotive exhaust pipe is steel that has been "aluminized" Basically it means that it doesnt rust immediatly like regular steel so you can leave it bare underneath a car and it will be fine.....it will rust at the welds though. The family buisness here in OK is a 40,000 sq. ft. automotive muffler mfg. and distrubution center, so I have all the things you're looking for except those ebay baffles. I have rolls and rolls of the fiberglass mat and bundles of 10 foot sticks of 1 1/2 to 5 inch exhaust pipe. I'll make you up with some turn downs that would just slip on over the end of your pipe, and then you could put a set screw in them or clamp them on. You can get them to look pretty good with a little polish, or paint them with header paint. I might even have it in polished stainless but I'll have to check on that one. BTW the tips you have a picture of don't direct the exhaust gas down they are just slash cut.
    1980 XS1100G
    Tulsa, OK

Comment

Alright I made some turndowns for you and here they are....they are made from the aluminized pipe and they will slip on the end of your pipes. I have the eyebolts for the lollipops that I can put in them but I need you to tell me where you want the eyebold nut to stick out.....on the bottom on the side or at and angle between the two. the tips will add about 5.5 inches to your pipes. The I.D. of the flare on these is 1.5 inches so if your o.d. is 1.5 then you can slip them on and put like a selftapping screw in them to hold them on. These aren't mandrel bent so the bend is actually going to be a smaller dia. than your pipe which will help with backpressure as well.

I haven't cleaned out the cut metal from inside the tip yet so don't judge me.
      1980 XS1100G
      Tulsa, OK

Comment

Thanks Meat!
        Now a question for everyone...How much should I change the jet sizes to compensate for this change. I have pod filters, new coils, and will be using this exhaust. I went here from the carb mods section, and using that recommended system, my main jet should be 145 and my pilot jets should be at 45. That is just including the pods and nothing for the exhaust. What would you all recommend? Should I just get the rebuild kit from georgefix ?

Suggestions are more than welcomed...

Thanks
        -Rick
        1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Here is the finished eyebolt backpressure whatchamacallit.

1980 XS1100G
          Tulsa, OK

Comment

nice work meat

Only problem is the eyebolts need a washer tacked onto em so you can really get some back pressure
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Actually those eye bolts will create some back pressure.
              It is worth a try that way.If you need washers welded on,you can bring 'em
              over to my house and I'll weld some washers on for you.
              Those will look sweet on your bike Clerek
              Rick
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I have put some commercially made turn-down on a street fighter I've been working on, so the parts are available without custom work...
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

If it does need washers you could just sandwich the eyebolt and run a small bolt through to hold them on, but I think this will make a difference since it does take up a good chunk of the area inside.
                  1980 XS1100G
                  Tulsa, OK

Comment

Working...
                  X