Clutch Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Issues

I had to replace my friction plates do to my old ones way to thin. I also added the extra steel per T.C.'s thread here.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481

Now when I go to set the clutch throw out rod the adjustment screw goes all the way in and I cannot get the clutch to release.

I have taken everything apart a few times and checked that I have everything in the right place. Seems like I do.

Any Ideas on what the problem can be?

Thank You.

Ozz
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

I'd say the bike is toast and you should give up any ideas of ever riding it again. My parents will pick up the bike next time they are on their way thru town.

Did you turn the screw out at the beginning to allow for the extra steel?
    HTH
    Dan
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Originally posted by barberad View Post
      I'd say the bike is toast and you should give up any ideas of ever riding it again. My parents will pick up the bike next time they are on their way thru town.

Did you turn the screw out at the beginning to allow for the extra steel?
      HTH
      Dan
      LOL. Thanks for the offer to pick up the bike

If you mean the throw out rod screw. Yes. I gave it 2 turns counter clockwise per T.C.'s instructions. When I turn it clockwise to set it it goes so far in the lock nut has no more threads to grab on to.

1980 XS 1100SG
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

This happened with Dabubble's clutch at the last MOTM. What we had to do was hold the adjustment screw, pull out on it and spin it until you feel the three balls fall into place, then hold pressure on them backwards as you install the cover. Don't ask me what it's doing, becuase I've done them a LOT and never had to do that, but in this case, it worked.

Hope this helps..

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          This happened with Dabubble's clutch at the last MOTM. What we had to do was hold the adjustment screw, pull out on it and spin it until you feel the three balls fall into place, then hold pressure on them backwards as you install the cover. Don't ask me what it's doing, becuase I've done them a LOT and never had to do that, but in this case, it worked.

Hope this helps..

Tod
          Thanks Tod,

I checked the throw out mechanism its all correct. The bearings are in place. I have checked its operation with the cover on and off. That part seems to be working properly. Is it possible to have the star plate in to far? Should I be able to push on the star plate and feel it move in? When I push on the star plate it does not move at all. JAT.

Thanks again all for your help with this. SWMBO is ready to sell me and my bike as a complete package.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
          Pod Filters
          DynoJet Kit
          T.C.'s Fuse Block
          V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

I checked the throw out mechanism its all correct.
            I understand.. and ours was also. I don't have a clue what it did to do what I wrote, but another member told us you had to do it. We rolled our eyes and did what he said.. and it worked. No clue why though.

No, the star plate should be bottomed out and shouldn't be able to move it.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
              I understand.. and ours was also. I don't have a clue what it did to do what I wrote, but another member told us you had to do it. We rolled our eyes and did what he said.. and it worked. No clue why though.

No, the star plate should be bottomed out and shouldn't be able to move it.

Tod
              I will give that a try.

Thanks.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
              Pod Filters
              DynoJet Kit
              T.C.'s Fuse Block
              V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

No change. Clutch lever is very hard to pull. Clutch still will not release.

The throw out lever is moving in its full arch.

I have disassembled the clutch basket again. I have everything in the proper order.

I dont know what to do at this point.

1980 XS 1100SG
                Pod Filters
                DynoJet Kit
                T.C.'s Fuse Block
                V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Sounds like there isn't enough room for that extra steel in there.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

There's room in there for the extra steel. If you are absolutely certain the clutch basket is ALL THE WAY onto the shaft and nearly touching the gear behind it....

Then your only other thing is the actuater arm and the bearings. SOMETHING isn't right there and has to be addressed. When the cover is installed, the clutch arm should be nearly straight down.. (Maybe 5 oclock?) and should take a large screwdriver pried against one of the clutch cover fins to pry it up. If this doesn't happen, something is wrong on with the actuator assembly... Not so much wrong with the assembly, but wrong in how YOU assembled it. Don't get mad about that, but it worked when you took it off.. it will work when you put it together right, even though it is sometimes tough to figure out.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Tod,

The distance from the clutch basket to the shaft of the gear in the pic you posted is 3.44mm. That sound right? The teeth on the clutch housing are meshing with primary drive gear and the oil pump gear. I looked at the clutch actuator arm and the bearings. The arm is at 5 o'clock. The 3 bearings are in the divots in the push screw housing and the push screw. When you move the actuator arm the bearings ride out of the push screw housing and the push screw to separate the two moving the push screw toward star plate (took cover off to see how it works) . Is that proper?

Thanks for your help.

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
                      Pod Filters
                      DynoJet Kit
                      T.C.'s Fuse Block
                      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        Sounds like there isn't enough room for that extra steel in there.
                        I removed the extra steel plate. I can now move my clutch lever.

Still having a problem getting the clutch to release. If the clutch adjustment screw is in to far the clutch should always be released?

Ozz

1980 XS 1100SG
                        Pod Filters
                        DynoJet Kit
                        T.C.'s Fuse Block
                        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

First put some slack in the cable up at the handlebar lever. Then loosen the screw at the clutch and turn it in until it lightly makes contact, then back it out 1/4 turn. Tighten down the locknut. Then take almost all the slack out of the cable up at the handlebar. It's possible the clutch won't release at first because of lack of oil on the friction plates. Usually starting the engine in neutral, pulling the clutch lever in, then putting the bike in gear will free it up. Do this while sitting on the bike of course. Having the screw in too far will disengage the clutch. HTH
                          Last edited by bikerphil; 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I just did mine, with the extra steel and EBC springs. When I first got it back together, the lever arm was pointing the wrong direction (off just enough that there was no tension on the assy. I ran the adj screw out until the arm moved to where it should be, then adjusted the clutch as per usual.

However, it was very tight, it would not release just turning the back wheel by hand, but once I started it and used the motor it would realease, but had a very narrow release 'distance'.

The odd part was I could pull the clutch lever 3/4 of the way to the handle bar, and the clutch would release, with a bit of drag. if I pulled it further the clutch would start to grab again, almost like 'over center'.

Drove it for about 500kms, and the clutch started to slip again, readjusted and now it all works like it is supposed to. Releases where it's supposed to, no over center action, and no slippage.

Just another bizarre xs11 moment.
                            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The odd part was I could pull the clutch lever 3/4 of the way to the handle bar, and the clutch would release, with a bit of drag. if I pulled it further the clutch would start to grab again, almost like 'over center'.

That's exactly what happened with Dabubble's clutch also. I told him he could adjust it at the handlebar so that he couldn't pull it in as far, but after riding it a little ways, it straightened itself out.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100