new Harley Slip ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Harley Slip ons

OK Sweet talked the local dealer and got a FREE set of Harley slip ons. Not sure if they are Sportster or Dyna....(how can I tell the difference?) And what do I need as far as extra parts to adapt them to fit the XS?

I know Many have done this here. I have a 79 sf with the cross over. DO I remove/cut before or after the crossover?? What is the best mounting adapter? Does anyone have some pics? The new mufflers DO NOT HAVE a crossover hole that needs to be plugged and has the baffles but they are removable.

Thanks,
    Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Follow the link in my sig to page 8 or 9. I recently put Dayna's on my Special.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

tks

Awsome. Any other info is greatly appreciated
      Gary
      Gary King
      bobbed with love.

Comment

Some guys have all the luck. I'm 90 bucks into 2 sets of fat boy mufflers.

Sportster mufflers are short enough to not reach the rear axle but the big-twin mufflers reach the rear axle but the tapered end sits below it. Either way it makes tire changed easier.

BTW, you must think we all have superman vision... Those pix are tiny...

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Yeah yeah

YEAH YEAH!!! Your not the first eople to pic on my Super small pics. I'll evenually get them changed out. The Pipe I got look Identical to you DYNA's.

SO I have to use a 1.5 adapter to get the pipes to but up? I do not have a welder so a bolt to bolt would be better till I can ride to get them welded.

Anyone done this?? And I could not tell if your bike had the crossover. Where exactly did you cut or remove the old mufflers from the headers?

P.S. I'll take your XS over the Triumph. YOur bike is looking bad arse. I love the seat you did into the cowl.

Gary
          Gary King
          bobbed with love.

Comment

If you cut the original muffler off just before the crossover. the section of pipe that remains on the header is just the right size for the HD muffler. I've done this a few times now and it always works.

Geezer

Comment

removing the crossover?

ok so i found a pic that is the exact same pipes as what I have. The Mufflers have the origional plastic and stickers on it. What a steal. If i remove the crossover then I just bolt the mufflers as a slip on to the origional headers, and then fab a rear brace using IIRC a 1/4 inch stainelss bolt for the mounting? GOd I need a step by step. lol Get real nervous when I go to start cutting things off the bike

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...ee/5286923.jpg

Gary King
              bobbed with love.

Comment

I'll take a few detailed pics when I get home if it will help. Mine doesn't have the crossover. I cut the pipes off right where the "Y" comes into a tail at one of the existing weld points retaining the original 2-1 configuration. Then I welded on about a 6" piece of exhaust pipe that I procured from a local muffler shop (pics in the sig link somewhere). I have a couple reducer shims in the Dyna pipes to bring them down th 1.5". I'll probably pull those out and find some pipe that fits the Dynas exactly so I don't have an exhaust leak at the junction anymore.
                Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Ohh, and the mounts on your new mufflers don't look anything like the mounts on mine, but other than that they look the same. You should be able to fab something up easily. Do keep in mind that your centerstand and your sidestand will hit the mufflers. I welded a bolt to the frame to act as a stop for the sidestand, and added a bracket to act as a stop for the centerstand. My mufflers are '09 Dyna with the Cats in em. Gotta be politically correct living in the republic of Kalifornia
                  Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

no welding tools

I have no welding tools!!! (yeah it sucks) so if I can temporarily do a slip on or adapter to clamp onto would be what i need. If geezer is right and I can pretty much use the slip on(clamp on) tecnique by chopping them just before the crossover I am set. Pics would be the shiznit. If anyone has any pics of how to fab the rear support mount it would be greatly appreciated.

Gary
                    Gary King
                    bobbed with love.

Comment

I bought a steel strap with slotted ends at the hardware store and used a vise-grip and a hammer to forge and S-bend in them to bolt the rear mounting hole to the original muffler mount.

I had a pair of HD mufflers with the crossover and I cut them off in the middle of the crossover and was able to pound them on with a hammer dampened by a chunk of 2x4.

The next day I rode it that way to the rally at Detroit Lake. No problems on the way there or back...

Geezer

Comment

1 3/4??

Looks like the inlet o the Slipon is 1 3/4(if i am measuring it right) Where exactly do I cut the pipe to get it as a slip on? HOw far back from the crossover?

WHat is the best way to cut off the old pipes? Cutoff wheel? hacksaw? Sawzall with a hacksaw blade?

What size is he origional pipes?

Gary
                        Gary King
                        bobbed with love.

Comment

I can't tell you where to cut. But I can tell you that the standard exhaust diameter on the XS is 1.5". I'd go with the cutoff wheel if that's an option, then you can use the wheel to deburr the pipe after.
                          Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Here, try this and see if it helps any

A.) This is where I cut my pipe and welded on the extension pipe

B.) I believe this is where Geezer is refering to

C.) This is the crossover tube on a '79 Special. It goes into the mufflers, so if you cut rearward of te crossover tubes, all you're gaining is a fragged muffler.

Another option might be to just take the bike and the new mufflers down to a muffler shop and ask them to mount them. They have everything that they might possibly need to cut your old mufflers off and weld on the adapter for the slipons.
                            Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

cut off wheel bound.

If Geezer would like to tell me for sure which letter he cut at I am good to go. I will pick up another cut off wheel tomorrow. (mines fkd) and atempt to get it together if time allows.

P.S. Whats the easiest wayto drop the center stand off so I can get to everything else? How many bolts is it atatched with and where?

Thanks for the help Ray!

Gary
                              Gary King
                              bobbed with love.

Comment

Working...
                              X