Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aqui!!

¿Dónde está el tubo de ventilación?

I was thinking of the type of gauges that use movable slugs or floating balls to give the readings. Not applicable for yours which uses fluids. Any tube which is not capped off or is open to air would allow the air to enter in and the fluid would not rise. Instead the fluid would only bubble.

What I was thinking about was a separate fifth tube which would act as a reservoir for the fluid. With only 4 tubes of fluid the vacuum from each carb pulls against not only the fluid in the tube but the vacuum of the other carbs as well. Either way when the carbs are balanced the fluid is straight across. I was expecting the fifth tube and mistakenly referred to it as the "vent" tube.

¿Qué estaba pensando?

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
      ¿Qué estaba pensando?
      Oui, merci infiniment de l'explication, mon ami!

Respect,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Sorry to turn this thread into a tower of Babel reinactment. I saw a picture of a five tube device, but it would have required more tubing than I had. I also saw the "marble/bobble" inserted on top of the liquid, but was afraid that it might get sucked into the engine.

2 stroke engine oil seems to have done the trick adn it wont harm the engine if a little gets sucked in. It jumps about a centimeter with the engine running, but as long as the jumping is lined up, I consider it synked. (sp?)

With my luck it would have. While rebuilding the cams, even with rags stuffed in the holes, more than once I found myself with the telescopic magnet and a coathanger bent into really long tweezers.
        Sam Christensen
        The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
        If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

home made

I have built one of those before but only a 2 tube one , worked well but not as good as my morgan
          91 kwaka kz1000p
          Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
            Sorry to turn this thread into a tower of Babel reinactment.
            No problem, Sam; had to include some French with the Spanish so the Canadians don't feel hard done by, eh.

In your second picture are you sure that's a picture after the synch and not before?

That's a nice setup. The fluid level is high in the 3rd tube and low in the 4th tube so the #3 carburetor is too far closed and #4 carburetor is too far open. I can't afford to buy the Carbtune or Colortune tools so I'll make something like what you have there!

I haven't had to do the hanger/tweezer trick... yet.

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hey Scott,

I use the PVC plenum as shown in one of the tech tips and just plug one end to my Mity-Vac for the gage. The other end I go carb by carb and move between one and two and get them synched up, then move over to 3 and 4 just moving it back and forth to get them synched up. Then pick one of 3 or 4 and one of 1 or 2 and synch the pairs together.

I have done my synch and then hooked up a 4 gage set to it and needed no real changing IIRC. It certainly was VERY close if off at all.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

cheapy

well Scott this looks right up your alley , I went to the ace hardware store and got a 79 cent yard stick and 8' of 1/8" clear tube and some zip ties , the coat hanger was free ,and i stuck some old pilot jets in the ends of the tubes for restrictors . I think the whole setup cost me like 11 bucks and i just used some 20/50 motor oil , Viola home made manometer, I believe the denser the fluid the more accurate it is , I will post some pics when I get home , it worked well and it doesnt have to be perfect on the graduation just so all the fluid levels are within 1/4", it just depends how finnicky you are and how much time you want to spend, also if your carbs are way out it will suck the oil right out , and you have to let them hang for a few ours to get the bubbles out!! DAHIK
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  I use the PVC plenum as shown in one of the tech tips and just plug one end to my Mity-Vac for the gage.
                  Originally posted by garthxs View Post
                  well Scott this looks right up your alley , I went to the ace hardware store and got a 79 cent yard stick and 8' of 1/8" clear tube and some zip ties , the coat hanger was free ,and i stuck some old pilot jets in the ends of the tubes for restrictors . I think the whole setup cost me like 11 bucks ...
                  I do have access to a set of mercury Carbstix but there are more strings than advantages. I'll be down at the hardware store tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Regards,

Scott
                  -- Scott
                  _____

Comment

Stone Knives and Bearskins

Anything you come up with and use will be better than the way it's done without something to measure the vacuum at the carbs.

I had a kawasaki two-stroke triple cylinder bike. To synch the three carbs at idle the manual said to disconnect and ground the spark plug wires from the other two cylinders. Then the idea was to have it run on the single cylinder and adjust the idle and air settings until it would just barely run. Then move on to the next cylinder and do the same thing.

When all cylinders were done the bike was started and each idle screw was turned down an equal amount of turns until the bike idled at the proper speed.

That was the procedure in the manual back then. There weren't any connections for gauges even if you had them.

Enjoy progress, gentlemen!

Comment

Working...
                    X