Has anyone used this type guages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used this type guages?

Tommorrow I'm going to attempt to synch my carbs. I resently installed new carb boots and cleaned up the carbs a bit so figured it would be a good idea to synch them. I read the tech tips on doing the synch. what I was wondering is if anyone has used this type of guages my friend has lent me? Looks like I just hook up the hoses but all those attachment scare me and are the dampeners built in? sorry if this sounds stupid but I just want to do it right . I rarely do things right the first time

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/DSCN0104.jpg
    1980 Midnight Special Its so fast it blew the gold right off
    mikes xs green monster coils, ss brake lines,
    Previous Bike
    1973 XS650

Those should work fine, even if they do look a bit intimidating. All you're really trying to do is get a gauge attached to the vacuum nipple on each of the manifold boots. I'm not sure where the dampeners are, but somebody will probably step in soon to confirm that for you.

Note - in your photo, all four gauges are sitting with different readings. A ket part of the sync process is making sure all of your gauges read the same anout for the same amount of vacuum. Without that assurance, you'll be chasing your tail. Somebody more familiar with this type of gauge will need to tell you how that gets done.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I've used those guages in the past, and while they do work, the do not work nearly as easy as a mercury manometer (carb stick). The key to getting those guages to work proper is to use the restrictors in-line to limit the bouncing of the needles, and synch all 4 guages off of the same vacume port before hooking up all 4 guages to all 4 ports. Attatch the first guage to port 1 and take a reading. Unplug that guage and plug in #2 guage in the same port without touching anything on the bike and adjust it so you have the same reading as guage #1. repeat with 3 and 4. Then hook em all up and you should be able to adjust your synch properly.
      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
      '07 FJR1300

Comment

guages

I've used those guages in the past, and while they do work, the do not work nearly as easy as a mercury manometer (carb stick). The key to getting those guages to work proper is to use the restrictors in-line to limit the bouncing of the needles, and synch all 4 guages off of the same vacume port before hooking up all 4 guages to all 4 ports. Attatch the first guage to port 1 and take a reading. Unplug that guage and plug in #2 guage in the same port without touching anything on the bike and adjust it so you have the same reading as guage #1. repeat with 3 and 4. Then hook em all up and you should be able to adjust your synch properly
        Thanks so much. the reason I'm using this set is because my friend got them with his mc and he let me try them out.he never used them so thanks for the tips
        Previous Bike
        1973 XS650

Comment

Love at first Synch

I used a similar style but different make of gauges.

Just turn the dampener knobs down until the needles stop jumping around. Also very important to make sure all gauges read the same amount when connected to a single vacuum source.

Gauges are an end to the means here. A superbike with four synched carbs will accelerate like it means business.

Enjoy!!
          Last edited by Larrym; 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

own 'em - use 'em

the gauges shown by Larrym are the same as mine and are easy to use and cheap to buy
            Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
            "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

Gauges work fine, but as Silent mentioned, they need to be calibrated. Putting them on the same cylinder (and at the same rpm) works, but what works even better is attaching them, one at a time, to a power brake bleeder that has its own gauge. On mine I pumped the bleeder up to 10 inches of vacuum, which is close to 22 cm of vacuum, which is about what the carb boot taps should draw at idle. Make a notation of differences, and then take 'kentucky windage' when syncing. To be properly synced all carbs need to be withing 2 cm of vacuum of each other. Also, don't adjust the dampeners down to the point where there is no bounce in the needles - they need to be moving a little bit so you know you haven't completely shut off the dampener. My $.02
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks everyone

I was able to get my carbs synched today. Just wanted to say thanks for the help I recieved for all who replyed and the great tech section.
                Previous Bike
                1973 XS650

Comment

Dampened Spirits

Cool!

And just where were the dampening adjustments on your style gauges?

Comment

dampeners

Air flow control is handled by needle and seat valves instead of knobs located below the guages right were you hook the tubes up. just had to move them around to control the bounce.
                    Previous Bike
                    1973 XS650

Comment

Good to hear you've gotten it working propperlty. Glad I could be of service.
                      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                      '07 FJR1300

Comment

Just thought I would post a picture of my home made gauge. It worked well and only took a short time to sync. The hardest part was getting the two pairs to sync after I had sunc (sp?) 1 to 2 and 4 to 3.

I don't know if they are better or worse than the gauge type, but they are cheaper and really I was just looking for a place to post my handiwork.

Here it is running after I synced (sp?) 1 and 2.

Sam Christensen
                        The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
                        If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

En-Gauged!

I Like it.

Something tells me that I wouldn't be able to find a label with the words:

"Heche en Mexico"
                          "Product of China"

Looks like you used a totally closed loop/system instead of a separate vent tube. A separate vent tube might make the fluid response more sensitive and lead to a "closer" synch between the carbs. It also might allow the fluid to get sucked into the engine.

Be sure to put "Made In The USA" on it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                            A separate vent tube
                            Que es un (what is a) separate vent tube?

A survey in Texas found that 29% thought that there was an imigration problem. 71% responded "No es un problema."
                            Sam Christensen
                            The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
                            If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
                              Que es un (what is a) separate vent tube?

A survey in Texas found that 29% thought that there was an imigration problem. 71% responded "No es un problema."
                              ?lo siento pero que es 'vent tube'? !no entiende!

Saludos,

eScott
                              -- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X