Siezed Motor Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siezed Motor Need Help

I feel responsible..... I told my friend that this bike was a good deal so he bought it and I started helping him get it going. We cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, put in new plugs and hit the starter....clunk....clunk. The engine is siezed. We tried turning the crank with the timing plate. We tried rocking the bike back and forth while in gear. We sprayed WD40 in the cylinders. After searching CH11 I tried Automatic Transmission Fluid and it has now been soaking 24 hours. I even took a wooden dowel rod and tapped on the pistons after heating the block with a torch.

You guys got any more ways to free the pistons? The older married couple that sold it to him had it in a storage unit for a year and a half and said they rode it in there. I'm out of ideas and I feel terrible for suggestion that my friend buy this!!! Todd? John?? T.C.??? Engine Gurus I dont know???? Please help!!!
    1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
    dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
    MikesXs 35k Coils
    8mm plug wires
    42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
    (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
    Kerker 4-into-1
    Shaved emblems
    Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
    Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
    Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
    Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
    Custom Dual Headlights
    Lots of time and hard work.

I have heard the Marvel Mystery Oil works miricles on breaking pistons loose. Have heard a few people soak engines and have results getting them broke loose over at Chopper Underground. Good Luck

Gary
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Comment

fill the cylinders with atf and let it sit for a week
      careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Have heard many of the folks here propose MMO as the cure before. Only time and lubrication, otherwise it is tear down time and maybe new rings and or sleeves. I know PB Blaster works awesome on stuff, but might not stay long enough to soak through that.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

PB Blaster.That stuff is excellent for penetrating rust.If that is the problem,it works faster than anything I've seen.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Easy does it

Try not to torque the engine too hard from the left side timing plate side. If the bike motor isn't froze up then it's OK to use this side.

If you're trying to get the motor moving by using the rear wheel then using first gear isn't going to work out all that great. The ratio of first gear wheel revolutions vs engine revolutions works against you. If you can get it into fifth gear then you're better off.

Isn't there a stouter nut/shaft on the right side of the engine under the alternator cover?

Wait and let the chemicals do the work. It's the best chance you have IMHO.

Comment

motor

Not to be a downer but I kinda got a bad feeling about the engine. If something is broken internal no amount of marvel oil is gonna help. May have to find ya another engine to install.

ed

Comment

Thanks yeah the trans seems to shift fine so we've been trying it in 4th and 5th. I found out the ATF runs out on the floor. It seems to leak around the exhaust headers. We tried the bolt on the alternator side but it just unscrews unless you turn the motor in the wrong direction. Is it ok to turn it backward just to break it loose? I know you're not suposed to reverse it when doing the valve shims.

I may have to buy some Marvel mystery oil if this doesnt work.
                1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
                dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
                MikesXs 35k Coils
                8mm plug wires
                42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
                (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
                Kerker 4-into-1
                Shaved emblems
                Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
                Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
                Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
                Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
                Custom Dual Headlights
                Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

Brought back

The first XS1100 I owned had a frozen motor. It sat outside in the Pacific Northwest for 3 years with no header.

I did what you're doing. I did wait a few days and then I did turn the motor backwards gently. Bike survived it.

Sold the bike later for $600 cause I hated the handling. Saw it for sale for $1600 the next summer.

Go Figure??

Comment

2 years ago I picked up the Triple I have now that sat for 27 years. It had been in a fire and washed down by the FD. It was also locked up tight. Shot PB blaster and another product called Free down the cylinders each day and kept rocking the rear wheel in 5th everyday for a week until it started to move. Once I got a revolution I pulled it apart. Rings had rusted to the cylinders and 2 of the 3 exhaust valves were rusted up pretty bad. Busted up the compression rings rocking it... Be easy on it.

Rebuilt it and 4kmi later it still runs Great!
                    Richard

Comment

Ever give this a try?

http://www.corrosionx.com/

I have never use this to free up and engine but I know it works wonders on rusted bolts. Used to use it around chlorine generators and it stopped copper from corroding in that environment.
                      I had an irrigation pump that needed to be replaced and the nuts that were on the lugs holding the frame of the motor were a ball of rust. I sprayed them down and left it over night. They came apart like they were brand new.
                      Good luck

Rodger
                      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by Da-Bubble View Post
                        I feel responsible..... I told my friend that this bike was a good deal so he bought it and I started helping him get it going. - - - The engine is siezed. - - -
                        You guys got any more ways to free the pistons? The older married couple that sold it to him had it in a storage unit for a year and a half and said they rode it in there. - - -
                        Hi Da-Bubble,
                        if the seller was telling the truth, the rings are rusted to the bores.
                        The other posters are right, remove the plugs and dump in a half-cupful of your choice of penetrating oil into each cylinder. Then wait a day. Then (still with the plugs out) click it into at least 3rd gear, sit on it, pull in the clutch, have two burly friends push the bike up to mebbe 10mph and drop the clutch. Most likely the back wheel will lock up. Wait another day and do it over. Repeat. If it's a plain ring seizure sooner or later the penetrating oil will do it's job and the engine will start to turn.
                        Last edited by fredintoon; 09-04-2009, 11:53 PM.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I recently freed a stuck engine. I tried with chemicals for a week and opted to pull the heads and jugs.
                          I was afraid that I might damage something.
                          So far all parts are in spec and can go back but I did find the rings on the # 2 cylinder all gunked up telling me that disassembly was the way to go.
                          I cleaned every thing up and am in the process of re assembly.
                          Good Luck
                          Rick
                          XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
                          http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
                          650SF
                          http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
                          XS1100SG Project bike
                          http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

A wives tale from back in the day says that cocacola will free a stuck engine. I guess it is acidic enough to eat through rust and varnish. I wonder what it does to your teeth and intestines.
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I don't know if coke will free pistons up,but I have used it to clean battery posts.
                              80 SG XS1100
                              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                              X