What the hell is this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Patrick,

I would try to get a putty knife or other such item down in between the rim/bead and the tire enough to be able to separate the tire bead from the rim just enough to get some wire cutters and cut the bead bands, then the tire should more easily be able to be grabbed with vicelock pliers or such to be able to peel the tire from the rim!?

Like stated, if a heat gun, and or the other chemical approaches don't work, you might even try a small torch on a thin area next to the rim, again burning enough to get down to the bead chord/wires and the rim!

Good Luck, keep us posted on your progress and what worked!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Stihl the Answer?

I think Patrick's trying to borrow his neighbor's chainsaw right about now...

Comment

Got my own, Larry. Looking for a spark plug.
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I couldn't find a spark plug, but I did find my bottle of Goof Off. It was new and unopened. That stuff costs too much to actually use.

Small splash of Goof Off by the rim. Pound the tire by the Goof Off with a one-inch chisel and a two-pound mall. It gave, just a little. Pounded a giant Craftsman screwdriver through the breach, then another one inch away. Repeated, one inch at a time, all the way around the rim on both sides. The biggest problem was I was tearing the tire from the bead, tearing the infernal goop from hell from the tire and the rim and tearing the tire from the terrorist goop that Guantanamo is too good for all at the same time.

But it freaking worked. That was the heaviest MC tire I have ever lifted. I was curious, so I brought it in and weighed myself holding the tire on SWMBO's bathroom scale which must be accurate because it never gets used. It apparently is needed to keep the ceramic tile from floating up in the air, endangering air lanes and posing a peril to air travel and life on Earth as we know it. Feel safe, y'all. SWMBO's got your back. Then I weighed myself without the tire. The difference was in the area of 42 pounds.

I am going to burn this tire, even if the noxious foam from the bowels of perdition should emit toxic gases that make birds drop midflight from the sky. Sorry birds. Blame PO - he is the Bad Guy here. I am going to make an effigy without a face to represent that dastard PO. I am going to throw the effigy on the burning tire. I am going to hire someone from Haiti to do some chants. PO's gonna pay.

I nominate myself as this week's winner of My PO is the Worse Creature on the Face of The Earth and Should Burn in Hell Or At Least Get a Speeding Ticket Award (The MPOISWCOTFOTEASBIHOALGAST Award, for short).

Thanks for the suggestions and the moral support, y'all. Everybody except for MXMIKIE.

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

So, don't hold back, and tell us how you REALLY feel.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus View Post
              I'm nearing a point where I might find out the effect muriatic acid would have. That, however, would strictly be for thrills as I doubt the rim would survive.
              Hey, it could happen. I was thinking muriatic as well. I've used that stuff to etch the clear coat from concrete as well as etch the surface of cross cut welds for measuring. I'm sure if you kept a fresh water source nearby it could work. They sell the weak version at wally world
              Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
              '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
              '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
              '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
              New steering head races and bearings
              '78/'79 standard wire harness
              Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
              T.C.'s fuse block
              PNM Coils
              7mm Dyna Wires
              NGK Resistor Caps
              Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Don't hold back man... Tell it flat out!

How do you really feel???

Good grief... that was a good laugh!!!

I'm sorry that it had to be at your expence, but D@#N that was funny!!

fix a flat ??? are you guy's sure about that?

it looked like Great stuff expanding foam to me...
                1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Maybe

It was this stuff, or similar?

http://www.wingfootct.com/services/tirefill/
                  XS1100SF
                  XS1100F

Comment

Succabus, I have plenty of extra rims if you need one, for the cost of shipping.
                    GW
                    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                    79 DT 100

Comment

When I found the stuff my first thought was that someone did it on purpose to make the tire immune to flats. But if this stuff had this texture when it was put in the tire it would have offered a terrible ride. It was literally the texture of styrofoam. It had no give. It would have been like riding on solid core rubber tires. The litle red wagons we kept around when the kids were young were handly for giving the kids rides, but I wouldn't have wanted wante to try to ride a little red wagon at 80miles per hour. The handling also would have been atrocious, even if that flat spot hadn't always been there.

No, I want to give the PO the benefit of the doubt. I figure he was just malicious or incredibly stupid, not suicidal.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I think I would have tried a little gasoline to see if it would dissolve. 'Course with that much material, it would have taken a tanker full!
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

This reminds me of polyurethane (this is what it is called in Finnish, not 100% sure of the English version), the stuff that is used to seal the windows and other cracks in houses.

Very hard to get out once set.
                          ---
                          Marko
                          '81 SH

Comment

Looks a lot like the stuff they put in "Bobcat" (skidsteer) tires to stop any flats. I would be asking a dealer how they deal with that goo and what they use? It could be useful in this instance.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                            X