What the hell is this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is this....

My petcocks have got to be responsible for this....

So I went to pull the front tire off to replace it. It was flat and I couldn;t even get it to take any air. I tried to pull the stem valve and it would noit come out. It had what looked like mud around it. I didn;t know how mud got in there, but whatever. I could not get the tire to compress. So out of desperation, I got out my cutter and cut into the side of the tire. Oh. My. God.

I don't know what this stuff is, but my petcocks must have done this because no human could perform such as infernal act. Somewhere in hell, Beelzebub is saying right now, "How could anyone do anything so evil?!?!"

This stuff is the texture of styrofoam. It also has literally glued the tire to the side of the rim. Even after I cut a whole chunk out of the tire I cannot peel it from the rim. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? At least how I can separate the tire from the rim without destroying the rim?

I take some solace from the fact that, like I said, the tire was flat. I like to believe that the fool who put this stuff in at least screwed up immediately and drove forever on a tire with a flat spot.

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

You've been POd!!!

That is what is left when someone uses Fix-a-flat type stuff on your tire.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

That's what happens when you use an entire can of Tire-flate for a truck in a much smaller tire.

I wonder what pressure the tire was at when it was done...
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

It looks like really old furniture stuffing, lol. That's ugh... one of those new balancing techniques... yeah... that's it
        Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
        '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
        '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
        '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
        New steering head races and bearings
        '78/'79 standard wire harness
        Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
        T.C.'s fuse block
        PNM Coils
        7mm Dyna Wires
        NGK Resistor Caps
        Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Is there a known antidote. Prying the crap out with a screw driver gets the foam, but itdoesn't free the rubber. And if I can't free the rubber I can't get rid of all of the foam. One side it solidly attached. The other side3 I got about half free, but the other half is very Zen-like and has become one with the rim.

This is a nice wheel with good bearings. I would really like to save it. I've tried a few types of chemicals - acetone, brake fluid, RuGlyde - but nothing even dents this stuff, much less melts it. I'm nearing a point where I might find out the effect muriatic acid would have. That, however, would strictly be for thrills as I doubt the rim would survive.

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Well, if the PO was insane enough to use that much fix a flat, they probably went crazy with bead sealant as well. The stuff glues the bead to the rim, and the only way to get it off is to remove the tire and use a wire brush to clean the rim.

Good luck, and keep your wits about you, you have a long haul ahead.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yikes, what a mess!

If you can carve off the rest of the tire, and saw/chisel away most of the foam, you should be able to clean up the rim with a sandblaster.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Thats absolutly insane. looks like someone stuffed an old seat foam in the tire You may want to try heating it up. Good luck you sure have a mess on your hands.
                1980 Midnight Special Its so fast it blew the gold right off
                mikes xs green monster coils, ss brake lines,
                Previous Bike
                1973 XS650

Comment

it could be worse...........could of been me !!!!
                  careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

May Day

Aerosol Flotation foam. May be the PO had a fear of driving near water.

In the event of capsizing, Please remain with the capsized vessel/motorcycle until help arrives.

Comment

I can cut the tire off, Ken, but then I would have nothing to grab to pull the remaining rubber off. Let's assume for a moment that this is a double whammy bead lock and foam from hell. What dissolves bead lock? If I can separate the rubber from the rim I can maybe deal with the foam. Dynamite comes to mind. Tracking down the sorry SOB who did this and introducing him to the joys of reverse digestion also appeals....

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Goof Off

There! I said it. Now you get to have a cardiac arrest when you see how much it costs.

If goof off is not lying around, another option is........Wait for it.........

LIGHTER FLUID.

Both of these options have their hazards: Fires and loss of brain cells.

Naptha based goof off is very volatile. Extinguish all flames really means take the time to turn off the pilot light to your water heater.

50/50 on this one, Patrick.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have some goof off somewhere. A fast talking Home Depot salesperson talked me into buying some when I was laying ceramic tile some time back. I still have no idea what good it was going to do me with ceramic tile, but she was really slick and kinda hot for Home Depot salesperson/linebacker.

I'll give it a try, Larry.

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

I was thinking a propane torch myself! Try burning the junk off! Sometimes different things will clean items, such as acetone, paint thinner, or alcohol. One of them should work on it.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Mosquito repellent?

Right Ray! Heat....One of those heat guns might help as well. Nothing says summer like the stench of melting rubber coming from the neighbors yard.

Patrick, If you've got the mojo for reflective orange clad ladies:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24415

Comment

Working...
                              X