Mounting a used tire - help, no dot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a used tire - help, no dot

A friend gave me a real nice used Dunlop that he had left over when he upgraded to Pirellis. It's about a year old with less than 1,000 miles on it. After I got the first bead on (RuGlyde is amazing stuff. It's like mounting a bicycle tire) I discovered that the alignment dot that goes next the the valve stem is no longer visible. Can anyone tell me how to properly align this tire or, alternately, how important that is?

Thanks,

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Patrick,
    The dot is to minimize the weight needed to balance the tire. The valve stem us USUALLY the "heavy" side of the rim, and the dot would be the "light" side of the tire. That is ALL it's for, so you may just need a little more weight to balance it.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Heck, with that RuGlide on there, run axle thru it on a couple blocks, then could slip tire around on rim having no air in it to set the bead untill it took least amount weight.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Look for a small molded in arrow pointing toward the rim.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

front or rear?

Are you mounting a front tire or a rear tire? if it is the rear the bead locks should balance out the valve stem, so it shouldn't make much differance how you mount it on the rim.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

easy does it..

i think what people are trying to say is that it doesn't matter if there is no dot to line up.

Just be sure to have the tire balenced, so that it won't vibrate.
            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
            1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
            X