headlight on/off removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight on/off removal

I replaced the right hand handlebar switch, on the 78E with one from a newer model, w/o the headlight on/off switch.

The hookup had six wires, the newer switch has 4. I was able to figure out the 4 I need for the bike to start, and the kill switch works.

Just need to know if I need to join the two left over wires, or is there another way to get the headlight to work?
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

If you're on an E, you should have 5 wires on the harness side of things IIRC. I haven't gotten my headlight installed yet, but it should be the Red/Yellow which needs power to run your headlight. You should attach it to the wire from the killswitch that's only hot in the "run" position(most common TAN). This will give you a 'lights on always' effect only when kill is set to run.

HTH!
    Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
    '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
    '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
    '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
    New steering head races and bearings
    '78/'79 standard wire harness
    Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
    T.C.'s fuse block
    PNM Coils
    7mm Dyna Wires
    NGK Resistor Caps
    Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
      I replaced the right hand handlebar switch, on the 78E with one from a newer model, w/o the headlight on/off switch.
      The hookup had six wires, the newer switch has 4. I was able to figure out the 4 I need for the bike to start, and the kill switch works.
      Just need to know if I need to join the two left over wires, or is there another way to get the headlight to work?
      Hi Craz,
      join the two headlight wires and the headlight will turn on and off with the ignition.
      Drawback; the headlamp will still suck power when the starter is running.
      Join them with an on/off switch and the light only turns on when you want it to.
      Drawback, you might forget to turn the light on in the daytime.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If anyone is interested, (with help) I built a small and inexpensive circuit that leaves the headlight off until the bike is initially dropped into gear after which it stays on until the bike is shut off again. We built it for my buddies kz when we upgraded to modern RH controls.
        I am not sure if it is necessary though as I was under the impression that the XS regulator had a special output that turned the head light relay on once the bike started. Anyways, I should be able to dig up the info and post a link to the guys website who designed the circuit. It is pretty slick.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Sounds like you're into something I'm pretty interested in there 81xsproject. Details, details...
          T.C.'s fuse block
          PNM Coils
          7mm Dyna Wires
          NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

"join the two headlight wires and the headlight will turn on and off with the ignition"

Pretty sure it has the headlight relay, as with other XS11's?

'05 ST1300

Comment

"join the two headlight wires and the headlight will turn on and off with the ignition"
              Pretty sure it has the headlight relay, as with other XS11's?
              Hi Craz,
              the '78 has a headlight (or all the lights, even?) switch AND a headlight relay?
              Another thing I did not know.
              Then hook her up my buck, she's ready to go.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well, it has a relay in the same spot as all the other XS's I've seen. I kind of wondered the same thing, why would it need a relay, if there is an on/off switch.

The bike has a 6 wire hookup for the RH switch assy, and the later models have only 4 wires. I assume I just have to hook up the two left over wires (white and red/yellow, I think) to bypass th old switch.

'05 ST1300

Comment

The bike has a 6 wire hookup for the RH switch assy...
                  Really? Shows 5 in my Clymers. Huh. I have a Blue/White, but no White. Red/Yellow is deffinitely hot for headlight so you're onto something there.
                  T.C.'s fuse block
                  PNM Coils
                  7mm Dyna Wires
                  NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

Ok, it has a 6 wire plug assy, with 5 wires in it.

The white wire is on the 80 switch. it is power for the headlight switch. when the switch is set to 'on' it provides power for the red/yellow.

I have red/white and blue/white which are power only when the switch is on but if I hook to the blue white, the starter never turns off, and the red/white blows fuses.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Here's what I found out trying to help you...

Blue/White to start button w/black leading away not connected to anything... my bike still cranks when I hit the button. So it must be completing ground by means of the handlebars, which is ok to the best of my knowledge. So in other words, Blue/White to ground will crank but you need a way to stop it (start button).

Red/Yellow and 1 of the Red/White's are both hot w/key 'on'. I connected them together into 1 connector. The Red/White NOT hot w/key 'on' needs power from the HOT Red/White. So I ran the hot Red/White and Red/Yellow in 1 connector through my kill switch and back out to the other Red/White.

Now the Blue/Black acts as power for the tach and speedo lights. I'm pretty sure you should be able to connect it to the Red/White NOT hot w/key 'on' and it should work for those as well via the 'kill'. Mine isn't currently hooked up.

Does this help?
                      Last edited by xs11bobber; 09-08-2009, 02:19 AM.
                      T.C.'s fuse block
                      PNM Coils
                      7mm Dyna Wires
                      NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

I haven't seen the G controls, so you'd have to take them apart to see what goes where. From my Clymers I can see Blue/White to Black/Ground will crank it and your Red/White's will need to connect through your kill like I mentioned previously. Your Red/Yellow needs to go to your Blue/Black? I think you should be able to set it up like I said in the last paragraph. Red/Yellow and HOT Red/White through kill to other Red/White and Blue Black. See if that works. I only see that white you're talking about in a relay on the G diagram.
                        T.C.'s fuse block
                        PNM Coils
                        7mm Dyna Wires
                        NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

There is no blue/black at the 78 switch connectors.

I have it now with the blue/white to black, cranks fine. The two red/whites go through the kill switch back to the connector.

If I hook to the blue white, it is ok, until I crank the engine because when the engine starts the starter motor keeps cranking.

If I hook the red/yellow to the hot red/white I blow fuses (up to 30amp) when I try to start the bike.

I may have to try and run a wire (the former white) to another switched power source elsewhere on the bike.

Unfortunately, no matter how I have had it hooked up, so far, the headlight has never come on.

I did test the headlight, and when I was first putting the new handelbar switch on, the headlight would flicker while cranking, but go out when the bike start.

'05 ST1300

Comment

hmm...

There is no blue/black at the 78 switch connectors.
                            Odd, there is in the clymers on the 78E & 79F diagram.

I have it now with the blue/white to black, cranks fine. The two red/whites go through the kill switch back to the connector.
                            Sounds fine there...

If I hook to the blue white, it is ok, until I crank the engine because when the engine starts the starter motor keeps cranking.
                            What are you hooking to the Blue/White? The red/yellow? I remember having that sympton during my own testing. I can try to duplicate it to help correct your problem.

If I hook the red/yellow to the hot red/white I blow fuses (up to 30amp) when I try to start the bike.
                            This blows me away because they are both hot... Unless... Is your Red/Yellow hot w/key on? It should be as it's supposed to be coming straight from the fuse block.

I may have to try and run a wire (the former white) to another switched power source elsewhere on the bike.

Unfortunately, no matter how I have had it hooked up, so far, the headlight has never come on.

I did test the headlight, and when I was first putting the new handelbar switch on, the headlight would flicker while cranking, but go out when the bike start.
                            This white you speak of sounds like an orphan. To the best of my knowledge the only solid Whites are the ones from stator to rectifier. Any electrical tape in the area? Peel the harness sheething back 1/2"... any color change?
                            T.C.'s fuse block
                            PNM Coils
                            7mm Dyna Wires
                            NGK Resistor Caps

Comment

Working...