Crash Bar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash Bar Question

Anyone that has ever had to actually use them, knows that the little two point connection crash bars like this....

...simply don't stand up. If you ever lay the bike down, they instantly bend/fold back against your case.

The crash bars that actually work, along with looking the best in my opinion, are the three point connection type that could be had for the 78 model like these...

Nobody makes these any more and they're getting hard to find. If you do find them, they want top dollar for some crusty rusty ones like these...

Case guards

And nice ones go for even more.

If I can find get someone to manufacture these and come up with a good product that is at least as good as OEM, but probably better since all the stuff he has now gets double layered chrome, would there be enough interest from you guys to want them to make it worth his time? They will fit on any year and model XS/XJ and use the current bolts that are there. No clue what he would need cost-wise, but if you could get a brand new set for under $100, how many would be interested?

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Crash bars

Hey Tod,

I'd be interested.

Craig
    Nubee

Comment

NOS 3 point crash bars on flea bay. Up to 42 bucks.
      Nubee

Comment

Tod,
        I'd be very interested. I have 3-ways on my XJ and they look so much sturdier, I want to protect my G the same way.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Count me in.If they're chrome
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Me too

Count me in,,,,at least one set,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
            mike
            1982 xj1100 maxim
            1981 venture bagger
            1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
            1959 wife

Comment

me too

for at least 2
              91 kwaka kz1000p
              Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I would be in for 2 sets.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I'd be in for a set as well.
                  If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    Anyone that has ever had to actually use them, knows that the little two point connection crash bars like this....

...simply don't stand up. If you ever lay the bike down, they instantly bend/fold back against your case. - - - Tod
                    Hi Tod,
                    just like the crumple zones in your car, those bars do work, but only once.
                    Some may claim that their controlled collapse on impact protects the bike better than those sturdy crash bars will because the collapse absorbs a part of the collision energy rather than transferring it to the frame.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Some may claim that their controlled collapse on impact protects the bike better than those sturdy crash bars will because the collapse absorbs a part of the collision energy rather than transferring it to the frame.
                      I can bend them back with my hands and a foot on the bike. So... I got some oceanfront property in Arkansas to sell you if you're interested??

Looks like this was all for naught all.. Sorry. I spoke with my contact, and he's swamped with what he's got going, and couldn't possible take on anything else. False alarm. Good to see there's still an interest though if someone has a pipe bender and can weld
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have a set on mine too. Only the single bar one. Just no hiway pegs. I think I paid $30-35? on Ebay.
                        Dave
                        1978 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          I can bend them back with my hands and a foot on the bike. - - -
                          Hi Tod,
                          like I said, they only work once. OK, once they have been been in a collision I'm sure that you could hand-bend them back out to clear the covers.
                          If you could hand-bend a new set, let's not arm-wrestle, eh?
                          BTW, I cannot reciprocate your property offer as Saskatchewan has no sea coast. We had a sea coast in Manitoba though. Except for 8 weeks a year you didn't need to be Jesus to walk on the water.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'd like a black set...
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Dimensions for collapsable crash bars

Hey ya'll. Been looking out here for a while to get a set of these critters for my XJ1100. Didn't see any so I bought the set off Ebay last week. The ones for the XJ750 see link below for pics. Anywho - they don't look like the othe 2 OR 3 point ones I see here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The bottom mounting looks to attach to the lower engine mount while the upper shows an ear added to the frame. Probably gonna have to add my own ears and probably gonna take off the center cross member someone added. My question is do any of you have the dimensions where the upper brace is supposed to tie into? The bars are in really good shape minus the welds they didn't paint? Just curious. FYI was planning on attending that rally in Western NC this weekend, but broke right wrist at work. Now no riding for 6 - 8 weeks

Hope to hear from ya'll soon.
                              Whew, more work here than I thought!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X